"Spider-Man: The Other" speculation

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by thefrozenred, Nov 2, 2005.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I was disappointed by parts 1-3. I really like David's storytelling technique, but parts 2 and 3 just seemed to be redundantly explaining, "Yeah, Peter is sick, but we won't say with what." Part 1 was a nice lead in ("instincts vs. intelligent action," which I'm sure will play a major role in Morlun getting put down again).

What does everyone *speculate* is going to happen..? Ie, if you explicitly KNOW, through articles/inside info/solicits, please don't say what you know is going to be the big crux of this arc.

Personally, I'm expecting some more mystical mumbojumbo...like Ezekiel's death resulting in Morlun's resurrection (keeping some sort of balance in the univers, etcetc). The clone variant cover, as discussed in another thread, throws me for a loop, though...especially with Marvel disavowing the storyline from continuity.

2. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

As my friend, DarkPrimus, pointed out(since he doesn't post here often anymore), Peter is an entirely different organism now. During the whole disassembled thing he turned into a huge-ass spider, and then he hatched out of that spider. Note he didn't turn back into a human, he hatched out of the spider which was his old body, so for all we know Peter isn't even human anymore.

It's something crazy I hadn't even thought about until he mentioned, and we're both kinda unsure about if it'll play any part in what's going on.

As I stated in the other thread I was kinda of figuring that at least some point in here they're bringing back Ben Reilly somehow.

Also, I don't think Morlun is sticking around the whole arc, he's only mentioned so far in the first 6 parts. Still, I love him being back, and so far in the arc he's been great. The fact that Wolverine didn't even sense him is downright creepy for some reason. I can't wait to see how he's developed and how he and spiderman actually fight. I mean, the only way Spiderman even worked up the balls to beat Morlun was under the assumption that the radiation gave him the powers and not the spider, which he knows now isn't true.

Lastly, I will join you in being a little let down by the first 3 issues. I think 1 and 3 were great, 2 kinda seemed out of place, and the art was horrid(Lee...). The thing that's really been getting to me is the pace. We KNOW Peter is dying, we KNOW he's depressed, but they ended 2 issues so far the same damn way(Peter admitting he's scared of something, but not actually saying what). The thing I'm worried about is Hudlin takes over now I believe, and from his Marvel Knights work I'm not really expecting anything stellar.

3. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

What; they have done that? HOW did they do that? 0_o Did Spider-Man restart some while ago and I wheren't aware of it?

Anyway. If "the other" isn't some kind of "clone saga fixer upper" it may just be a clone saga redo (in a different way from the coming Ultimate Clone Saga) which would bring back the Ben Reilly character (hey, Reilly is popular and a good character... the clone saga whasn't).

If not then maybe.. i dunno.

All these multipart super event stories are driving me insane. I just hope whatever things they bring about serve whatever purpose they serve right and that the changes don't get undone in six months.

4. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Yes they did. Except they restarted the wrong things and then needed to create the Ultimate line.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Spiderman wasn't restarted and the Clone Saga did happen. Every oncei n a while Spidey will make a clone joke. Marvel just likes to forget about it for convienience purposes.

6. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Actually they did 'relaunch' Spider-Man along with a couple other Marvel titles a several years ago. Somethings such as Spidey's origin got reworked a little to try and update it but it seems like Marvel has forgotten about that. Also, for a while Marvel was printing both volume 1 and volume 2 issue numbers on those comics that were 'rebooted' but as the volume 1 issue numbers reached 500, Marvel decided to forget about the volume 2 numbers and just go back to the volume 1 numbers.

As for the clone saga, yeah, they do still include it in the continuity. Spidey joked about having clones in Avengers not all that long ago actually.

7. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    Yea, it was relaunched and the "Chapter One" book came out. However it was such a huge disaster that Marvel decided to just wipe their hands of it and quietly let it fade into obscurity.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Marvel really need a new EiC, stat!

9. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I nominate Tom DeFalco to return. :D 

10. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Although 1-3 are essentially the same thing it's effectively serving as a method of scooping up all the individual book readers that didn't know there was corssover on and letting them all read the story without from here on.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I resent them because they made me buy a Pat Lee book. He can't draw for shit. Yet Marvel not only keep hiring the hack, but stick his art in the one Spider-book I buy, and then add it into this "the Other" nonsense making it almost essential, which it wasn't.

Fuck Pat Lee.

*please excuse my rant there*

12. Frequency

hahahaha when I was reading the last pages of that issue, when Pete and MJ were talking, the only thing I could pay attention to was "It looks like Peter's face is melting..."

13. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really only follow the Ultimate series, but isn't the Disassembled arc what lead up to The House of M?

If so, then how does The Other series fit in to that if the House of M has been going on while they have?

14. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I don't think they figured that out. Especially considering that when someone asked Peter David where if the story took place before Spider-Man revealed his identity to the Human Torch, David said that this was the first time he heard about it.

Someone's gotta coordinate these things better.

15. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

They're going to do an Ultimate Clone saga? I'm gonna have to start reading that book again. However, I dunno about them using so much of the Spiderman mythos so quickly. Seems that they're gonna run out pretty soon.

16. Frequency

The way I took the Other to mean is it's all the stuff that's been happening to Spiderman in Amazing, MK, and Spectacular finally coming to a head. It's not like they can't include the Disassembled arc, seeing as how that's when Spiderman got his organic web shooters and the ability to talk to bugs, which has crossed over into the other Spiderman titles.

17. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    You'd think so but do the math. The yare on issue 90 or so for Ultimate Spiderman. Somewhere in the early 100s will start the Clone Saga. Now think of the regular title. The clone saga actually took place in issue 150. So technically Bendis is only 50 issues ahead of Spidey Mythos. Also we have not seen a ton of Spidey villains yet. We saw the Beetle in the video game but not comics, no Hydro Man, no Lizard because apparently Ult Team Up wasn't real, etc.