Spider-Man (PS4)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by eagc7, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Theres also a lot of speculation that this game will take place in the same universe as the upcoming Avengers game, but there no proof of it. People just think that because the game makes mention of the Avengers and other Marvel characters.

2. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

i hate the
    taskmaster
    challenges but the city after
    the raft
    level is kinda fun.

The blue 2099 is my favorite costume so far.

3. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who are you going to call?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Got the game over the weekend. I figured I could plug and play, but since the last new game I played was Shadow of War, I had to sit and wait an hour for all the system updates and crap.

The controls are hard to get used to when you first start playing this game. I kept getting shot and pummeled by common thugs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NSJ23

I can't recall the last plug and play game i bought, i know some games let you play while it loads (battlefront II is the only one i can think of right now) but i factor in at least an hour before i get to play anything these days because i refuse to go digital.

Combat gets better once you get used to it and once you upgrade your skill tree.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A small warning: might just be a little bit of the Parker luck, but I was randomly visiting Youtube and right on my main page it links a video (with clear screengrab and text) of a HUGE endgame spoiler. Might want to evade that (or any human contact) until finishing the game. :-/

Anyway, finished it yesterday. Started the game feeling it’s ‘just’ a modern update to the Spider-Man 2 game (and Ultimate Spider-Man) back in the day: same things that are great (webslinging open world), same things that are not great (endless recycling of sidequests), but I genuinely feel the game got better and better with every storybeat.

Voice acting and the Spidey-quips are especially great, and dang: they nailed the characters.

Not a fan of the redesigned suit but that doesn’t matter as you can switch between so many! Basically spent the entire game using the Stark and Iron Spider suits. :) 

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same here. I'm using the MCU ones and classic spidey ones.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

2099 for me

9. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Did snicker at the Spider-Man 2 reference..
    when fighting Li on the subway car you try to stop it by slowing it down with multiple webs. This time it fails. Spidey mutters that it worked last time he did it..a refernce to the Doc Ock fight in that film.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Yeah I caught that too, pretty funny.

11. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Well I liked a reference to the Spider-Man 2 game. (Movie game not original Spider-man 2)

And I HATE Task Manager challenges. I can't get gold. :( 

12. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

You don’t need gold in every one of them, by the end of the game I went back to the stealth ones and got gold on 2 of them which gave me enough tokens to buy my last costume. You just have to complete them.

13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I’ve done all of them, silver, still missing several costumes and gadgets.

14. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I've beaten all bases, and just defeated Electro/Vulture. I still got 4 pidgeons, several taskmaster challenges, and random crimes. Got maybe 3 skills left to get.. got a bit more story to go, then comes the grind once all is normal.

Got caught off guard when i started my game again today.
    had beaten a Taskmaster challenge the last time i played. Start up the game, and am immediately attacked bt TM. Beat him once i got the hang of him. I needed to loosen up first man

So far i want a sequel. Mysterio, Kraven, Morbius, a Goblin, Chamelion, Hammerhead, Sandman, Venom, Carnage, etc. Heck make it you get the symbiot suit, remove it, fight venom, etc.

15. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Without a doubt, the best Spider-Man game and Marvel game I can think of.

As a game that nails the momentum and thrill of swinging around, it's pretty great that the game allows you to easily transition into that phase. Also the world of New York (Manhattan to be precise) looks so alive that you even peek inside building windows to see what's inside. The suits also serve as more than a custom skin and the little gadgets, skills and stuff are all really nice. Combat has a little Arkham influence but I think it's really its own unique thing with the web abilities and stuff. The puzzle stuff kind of is a breather to showcase that you're not just Spider-Man but also Peter Parker himself.

So all and all, solid good gameplay.

With regards to the story, I'm glad they started with 8 year Spider-Man as I'm pretty sure we're very familiar with Peter Parker in other media at this point. Yuri Lowenthal nails the awkwardness and sincerity of his character. I'm pretty sure the voice cast is great all around. The end of the story really hits home some stuff. I would say there's 2/arguably 3 main villains in this game. One of them being Mr. Negative which is fascinating since this character hasn't been exposed in too much media. I'd say the guy giving his motion capture performance is fantastic; motivation a little generic but understandable. In terms of the other villains like Electro, Rhino etc., I feel like they weren't in it too much and they kind of had brief motivations until you take them out. Vulture's reasonings for example had potential but I never felt the fruition of it. But still the story was good for what it is and for a video game. A few hiccups like repetitive crimes and story moments involving MJ/Miles stealth kind of drag it down. The stealth parts are actually okay but in terms of story, sometimes I reflect on whether it is a logical choice or not.

But I'd say the game is a win for sure.

16. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

17. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but I think the last... third of the game took a serious downturn.

The area where you can't even websling without constantly getting hit by snipers and rockets. It just.. feels like to much in that case. In this case I really feel like they should have held most of the "Crimes" off till that point, and then bring in a more Infamous method of once you clean up a neighborhood, it's actually.. cleaned up so to speak.

18. NSJ23

Do you need to pass the game before you can
    take the last secret picture?
    i know the location but can't do it.

19. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:

They say the more crimes you stop before that part of the story the less there are. When spidey warns you he has not went out and stopped crime for some time that's a warning. The more you stop the less there are later.

20. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Well I can attest that, that is false... as I finished up all thug and demon crimes before that even started

• Like Like x 1