Spider-Man: Homecoming

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prime17, Feb 10, 2015.

1. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

The characters main run has been written by a Muslim, and her motivation has changed since the book began. she had a great jumping on point that was part of a marvel arc (the Terrigan mist thing), and she was meant to be fairly grounded. I don't think anyone expected her popularity to take off the way it did, but I read everything until secret wars came along and loved every issue. you don't have to like it, but don't say it's PC for the sake of it- its never thrown in your face that she is a Muslim, she just is.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I don't like Miles because he's Mickey Mouse.

....OK, that one deserves a bit of explanation. I should say first that Miles is not the only Mickey Mouse at Marvel. There's at least half a dozen, including Deadpool, Spider-Gwen, Ms. Marvel, and, formerly, R.I.P., Wolverine. These characters behave the way they do because Marvel perceives them as either popular or pandering fodder. The younger characters mentioned just have so much heart, so much talent, and such presence. But you know what they lack? A shadow.

Let me illustrate this with Dead pool and Wolverine. These two men have miles of shadow between them. Fel deeds, personality flaws, unlike ability... These are traits I would attach to a relatable character. But at Marvel, when you reach a level of popularity, they erase your shadow. Children are watching, so you can't punch nuns or smart off to your parents. Oh noooo. You must behave like a role model. Miles does. But unlike Peter Parker, he's not trying to be one. He's a puppet who lacks free will. He can't hate anyone who doesn't deserve it. He can't go down the wrong path for long without a course correction and a preachy lesson shoved down your throat. THAT is what it means to be Mickey Mouse.

And I can't deny it involves a certain amount of bitterness at the death of Ultimate Peter. He was a better Spider-man than even his regular counterpart. But Marvel killed him so they could be PC and tell a 'bold new story' with their new Mickey Mouse, who had none of the bite, sarcasm, or depth that Peter had. That kid was a great character, warts and all. But Miles has no warts. No shadow. No purchase. But hey, at least his target audience digs him, right Marvel?

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't think you know what PC means.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Boy, I been read about someone hate Miles, okay could we've talked about the movie with Peter Parker, and not Miles who isn't in the freaking movie at all.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, this.

Let's move this the fuck on, already.

6. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have dragged it back up. We have the comic section for that discussion.

So, instead...Vulture.

I know it's been a while since the trailer came out, since it showed him in action, but man, it's still a surprise to see Vulture played up as the main threat in a Spider-Man movie. Nice change of pace from the usual Green Goblins and shady conspiracy guys, though.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It's also fitting that the Vulture is served to be Spidey's first real villain to face off against in the MCU since the Vulture was the first true super villain he fought in the original comics.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Except Chameleon?

When I heard the villain was going to be Vulture, I kind of rolled my eyes, because the original character always looked so goofy. But I have to admit this is a pretty cool and intimidating-looking Vulture, and the casting is smart.

9. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely the coolest iteration of Vulture that I've seen. I feel like they were trying to pick a villain that hasn't been done in one of the other 5 movies already

10. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could go with never seeing an Osborn in a Spider-Man movie again.

Vulture is a great option for a villain. Hope he has some connection to Stark and Project Falcon.

11. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Well Chameleon is not really a "super" villain

12. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I'm definitely a huge fan of the Steampunk style mask they threw on him.

13. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Hmmm... not sure where I land on this one. While I'm not a fan of the Raimi movies, I really loved the dynamic saturated imagery they used for their posters. Hopefully things get a little more "action'y" looking with future posters.

15. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Pinpoint Doodle User#3

News Credits:
    Looks great! It seems like the most teen thing to do

16. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    I'm liking this other new one better...

[​IMG]

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The poster with the headphones is a bit on the silly side. Since I'm looking for a bit of silly with Spider Man this is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'm still shocked this is a real poster. Just four years ago, it seemed like it would be mostly impossible to have Spider-Man in front of Avengers Tower, and now here we are.

Is that a NASA logo on his jacket by the way?

19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING's Vulture Has Personal Beef With IRON MAN

[​IMG]

Instead of the elderly business man from the comics, this version of the character runs a NYC salvaging company that cleans up property damage after incidents such as the Chitauri invasion (perhaps this is where all those Damage Control rumors are springing from).

Toomes is less than thrilled when a government-backed company, owned by Tony Stark, takes over his contract (after some sort of accident). Backing up Vulture are Shocker and The Tinkerer, played by Bokeem Woodbine and Michael Chernus. Now out of work, Vulture and his ragtag crew of ex-employees begin reconfiguring all the weird alien tech they've found over the years into weapons too powerful for local law enforcement to handle.

According to Keaton, Toomes feels like a victim. "Some people see themselves as victims — he sees himself a little bit like that. He probably would have a strong argument that he never got a fair shot — a lot of ‘Why not me? Where’s mine?’"

20. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con