Spider-Man: Homecoming

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prime17, Feb 10, 2015.

1. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    [​IMG]
    ROFL XD

2. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    I'll give this movie a chance because its part of the mcu. Between certain changes being hyped by PC people and the trailer focusing primarily on the comedy this movie just doesn't look exciting to me. The avengers stuff looks nice and I kind of like Tony's role so ill give this movie a chance before i start hating it.

3. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

This movie seems like they wanted to do Miles Morales, so they gave us Miles, but dressed him up as Peter Parker to avoid fan backlash. Just wanted to say, not fooled at all. As a staunch Miles hater, I reject this iteration of Spider-man.

4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I noticed that too. Shame we couldn't have actually gotten Miles Morales (perish the thought of a non-white Spidey on the big screen...). Anyway, it can't be as bad as Toby doing his jazzy flash dancing or Andrew's hipster cool hair-pile take on the character. This new kid is convincingly dorky and young enough for the role of a high school kid, at least.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Except that is clearly the Peter Parker Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and John Romita did, so your argument is invalid.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I can agree with that. But one thing that's always attracted me to Spidey is the darkness that balances the humor. That's one reason the Ultimate Spider-man toon failed. Peter Parker has always been the guy whose life throws crap at him and he has to try and do better because of it. MCU Pete is a trust fund kid. When Iron Man's your mentor, you actually have friends (Harry's friendship was always seen as a charity case, while Ganke made Miles look better) and most people don't treat you like garbage (c'mon, everyone has a Flash)... You don't have much reason to complain. Hell, it was years into his career that Spider-man was capable of doing team-ups with other heroes without imploding. By comparison, MCU Spidey is living the dream.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah, the old school Spidey, had the Parker luck, just as things were going well, Aunt may would end up in the hospital, some bill would come due, or something else would set him back. The point was he kept going despite all that. He didn't start having a more put together life till college, and even then was always trying to make do. In the comics he had to earn Harry's friendship and they didn't actually meet till college.
    The new kid meets the dork factor and can actually handle the comedy without coming off as a jerk, so we will have to see how it goes plot wise.

8. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    I've never really read any miles morales spiderman comics. what's the appeal? it seems like all they did was pointlessly change his race. is there something special I'm missing because i really don't get why people want miles as spiderman other than PC pandering.

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Him climbing walls or ceilings doesn't look right. Spidey should press himself more against the wall or the ceiling, like he's a real spider. In the comics he always has this special way how he sits somewhere or clings to walls, etc. What we've seen in the trailers looked bad. I hope this were the only instances where it looks like this. Other than that, the trailer was fantastic.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Miles will be in the animated Spidey movie from sony, so we will be getting both.

11. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
  12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
  13. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I realize this is an old post, but..."Change his race" would imply they altered Peter Parker. They didn't, Miles is a completely different character. Who Spider-Man is under the mask isn't as important as what he represents. Miles became Spider-Man in the Ultimate universe after the death of his universe's Spider-Man, because he thought that maybe if he had been there, had he used his powers and helped, Peter wouldn't have died. Doesn't sound "pointless" to me, in fact it sounds like an interesting story.

Honestly, you can't make a legacy character that is substantially different from their predecessor (race, gender, etc) without it being declared PC pandering anymore, can you?

I think I should leave it at that, though...

• Like Like x 1
  14. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    I don't remember making this post anyway you're right it does sound interesting I've never read the miles comics. Unfortunately with how everything is now it just seems like people make changes for.the sake of proving how "wonderful and tolerant" they are so unfortunately it seemed like a PC pandering move though now ill admit it does sound interesting story wise

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Except this is kind of nonsense thinking. There have been race Spider-men I the past before Miles, most prominent would Miguel O'Harra, the Spider-Man of 2099 was Latino. There's nothing PC about it, people have painted the way Miles was introduced as that, and that's fine but Spider-Men who aren't Peter aren't just African Peter or Asian Peter. Some really good examples of that are the Edge of Spider-Verse stories and even it's cross over with the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, but that features Miles too so be careful, might be too wonderfully tolarent for you.

16. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    I wasn't saying it was "wonderfully tolerant" it just looked that way to me. I hadn't read the comics so I was making assumptions. Keep in mind I did mention I didn't see the comics and they happened right when everyone was making changes like that and I just wanted to hear why everyone liked them so much and if they were worth checking out.

17. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I've been reading Spider-Man (The Miles one) and had given up on Amazing Spider-Man (Peter Parker) for a while now. Peter's story is just so convoluted in the 616 Marvel universe, it's nice to have a fresh slate like Miles to take things back to the good old days when Spiderman was a high-school kid that needed to balance being a superhero, homework, a part-time job and keeping his friends and family safe from villains.

Honestly though, Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan version) is actually a better take on that type of story than anything else Marvel is putting out right now.

• Like Like x 2
  18. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    See the way you describe it makes it sound like pleasant return to basics not just PC pandering.

19. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Why do you hate Miles?

I'm no Tina Tumberlina, and I'm in no way a defender of PC pandering when it's obvious and blatant COUGHMS.MARVELCOUCH, but I don't think that's happening with Miles (Well, it is, but the character is being written so well in his main book that I don't care). I find the character to be interesting, and new. Something that Marvel hasn't been able to do in YEARS with he majority of their PC push that has happened lately.

Yea, I just can't agree with this. She is a horrible character with thinly veiled motivation. I get what they're trying to do, but it's just so blatantly progressive for the sake of being progressive that it really detracts from the character.

I think a better Muslim character was Dust. She had some great character motivation and was just a far more interesting and believable character. Khan is just bland in comparison.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  20. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I remember Dust from Morrison's New X-Men run, but I honestly can't remember much of her personality traits other than the fact that she was fairly conservative (in personality, not just in the way she dressed). I know she was a part of the Hellions at some point, but again, I can't remember her personality really shinning through at all or how she interacted with other characters.

Kamala just reminds me of a younger Peter Parker the way she's into nerdy things like fanfiction and video games. She goes to a regular high-school where she's constantly falling behind with school work because she's spending her spare time as Ms. Marvel. She has the awkward moments with classmates that we all could relate to from our high-school days. The fact that she comes from a Muslim family serves the story well because it emphasizes the differences she has with her other classmates.

I guess this is getting off topic here, I just wanted to make the point that people might actually enjoy characters if they gave them a chance instead of worrying that the only reason they exist is so that Marvel can be "PC".

• Like Like x 4