Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Back to the Future Part 2 Nike's. Nice.

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Haven’t seen that but god I will fucking riot if they kill Ned. No no no no.

3. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I haven't heard or read any of the spoilers, but I mean no one should be surprised at all that a form of the Sinister Six is coming at some point. I'm also not surprised about Peter getting new suits all the time, gotta crank out those toys now that Iron Man is gone.

• Like Like x 3
  5. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    I don't really care what they do with ned.

• Like Like x 2
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Eh, these early "best Spidey ever!" reactions fooled me once with Homecoming which turned out to be the worst MCU movie next to the Incredible Hulk and the worst Spider-Man movie next to SM3/TASM2, so I'm not taking the bait this time. In fact, this will be the first/only MCU movie where I fully intend on reading the spoilers before seeing it... if I see it, that is. Which is a shame because I really do love Tom Holland as the character when the Russo's are directing him.

• Like Like x 4
  9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Why nobody likes Norton's Hulk? Its a cool movie to watch. :( 

• Like Like x 6
  11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, and you're still solidly in the minority on that, because you're too wrapped up in comic-book accuracy rather than the spirit of the character.

Maguire's Peter/Spidey was too withdrawn and moody, lacking the character's typical quick tongue. Garfield's rendition veered too far in the other direction, such his Peter Parker came off as too cool and capable. Holland's Spidey is the only one thus far to balance those aspects of the character, coupling the awkward adolescence with his more free-flowing superhero persona.

That's why the fans are so quick to bill him as "the best Spidey ever".

Fans are still certainly divided over how his supporting cast was adapted in Homecoming, as you are, but there's no doubt that it was very much a Spider-Man story in spirit, if not in faithfulness to any particular comic continuity. And it was just a plain good story, even removed from that.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

While I don’t want to put words into Incepticon’s mouth, I’m pretty sure we both agree that Tom Holland is the best portrayal of Spider-Man, but Homecoming just didn’t do it for us.

I feel similar. I sense there could be quite a bit of recency bias. I’m interested in the movie, and I’ll definitely watch it, but I’m not really in a hurry to go see it.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Okay, but here are a few fun facts:

- I might be 'the minority' according to some people, that doesn't make me wrong or the criticisms any less valid. I mean, I'm not accusing YOU of just riding the bandwagon because you DO like this take on Spider-Man, so I think I'm allowed to request the same respect in return

- I'm not at all too wrapped up in comic book accuracy. Farthest thing from, in fact. I just want source material followed better than how Michael Bay does it (ie: just grabbing names) or at least respected - not thrown out the window and re-invented for the sake of "today's audience"... or whatever it is their excuse is.

- I have always loathed Tobey Maquire's *and* Sam Raimi's Spider-Man's, so no need to tell me what he is.

- I think Garfield was a great replacement, but compared to Maguire, that doesn't mean much. But compared to Holland's version, yeah, no contest.

- I think Tom Holland is THE definitive Spider-Man - hands down - but I also think that's when he has been in the hands of the Russo's - NOT this Watt's dude.

- "The spirit" of something is not what I want or look for in a character like this. I'm glad you and others are all super impressed with this total 180 degree departure in the character, his story, his background, his friends, etc., but I'm not. And even if I was, I'd still think Homecoming suuucked. It was a terrible story and near impossible to re-watch (imo). And I say that as turbo nerd fan of the MCU and Holland in the role.

It's not some big debate, and I really don't need anyone coming down on me because I didn't like Homecoming and won't be buying into the hype of Far From Home. Go see it. Enjoy it. I really don't care. I'm just not gonna be sucked into these exaggerated early reviews again. No biggy. :) 

100%, my friend.

• Like Like x 2
  14. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hey hey hey what's this spider-man conflict? :lol 

I'm a tossed up between Garfiled and Holland Spider-Man.
    BUT I'm a bit more veering to latest one more.

Background story wise, Holland's Spider-Man is the by far near to reality if we are talking about "grounded".
    If there's a criticism I have for the MCU version, it's the characters Ned and Michelle Jones.
    I don't hate them. I'm cool with it. BUT there will come a time that Peter will no longer need "The guy in the chair" when he master his suits capabilities. Much better if Ned gets reduced to a "Happy Hogan".

I don't wanna end up MCU Spider-Man having a "mandatory tech team" all the time like those from CW TV Series like The Flash and Arrow. But I get why Ned's needed. Peter need someone to talk to. As for Michelle Jones, well only time will tell when MCU finally puts in their version of Mary Jane Watson and Gwen Stacy but that could wait.

As for a MILF Aunt May, I'm cool with it she being a bit younger in realistic sense.
    Peter is still in highschool and an Aunt shouldn't be portrayed as an old granny like in the comics I think.
    The proper time Aunt May looks like granny is when Peter reaches his near 30's, working as freelance photographer and having an extra job in a tech company or other jobs that support his cost of living after highschool.

Now I wonder if Tom Holland will grow taller if Marvel-Sony proceeds him playing the role for another 7 years to justify his near 30's age that time. Unless everyone is cool that MCU Spider-Man is smaller compared to usual MCU male heroes-archetype we have.

Tobey - Emo guy, Always shouts Mary Jane, Less comic/joker, cries a lot, not a science whiz, organic webshooters
    Andrew - Tool cool-skateboarding guy, has a knack in photography and tech whiz, have daddy issues, throws jokes, tech-based web shooters
    Tom - much younger, very talkative, science whiz, throws jokes and pop-culture references, Hi-Tech talking A.I. Spider Suit (which can explains how Spidey can create variations of webbings like in the comics).

Tom Holland is the balanced take of Spider-Man with a background characters up a notch.
    I hope time will come he doesn't need to talk in an A.I. suit all the time as he masters his spidey suits along the way.

Respects to Tobey and Andrew.
    Always take note that their portrayals are due to their film director's vision at most (Sam Raimi and Marc Webb).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Loved that clip of Peter and MJ that came out. They’re pretty cute and painfully awkward around each other even when they’re clearly well on their way to being a couple.

16. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Hot Toys is crying in their annual meetings not milking the IM mold.

I think Tom is too short to play Spiderman. The scene with him in the trailer with the cops in the IronSpider suit, they all tower over him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

The 15 minutes in Spider-Man 3 where he’s a dorky douche is played for comedy. The fact that, for some reason, people think is both deadly serious and indicative of the rest of those movies’ approach to the character, is ridiculous to me.

Those movies are super earnest and Spider-Man is not remotely the cool, affable, charming guy he’d be in later versions, but that’s part of the point and the fun of the character. Those movies are also really strong screenplays based on characters’ choices, growth, and consequences, as opposed to later versions which have all banked on us being incredibly excited for the Sinister Six and the Green Goblin for some reason

• Like Like x 3
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I suppose each Spider-Man film has majorly focused on one element of Spider-Man's character.

The Raimi films focus on the angle of "great power means great responsibility", as in early Ditko-Lee Spidey tales (any comic history fans can please correct me if I am wrong) - this Parker constantly struggles with his deeds clashing with his personal world: he got his uncle killed, his aunt hospitalized, he killed his best friend's dad and made him his enemy, he keeps distant with his girl to spare her his trouble.

The Webb films focus on Spidey's coolness in action: his super-ability and quips are classy to see, but this Parker's clearly not too moved by any trouble he makes on his side, not until he gets his uncle and girl in peril.

One was too conservative, the other too maverick.

The Watt films... to be honest, I can't judge properly. This Spidey is not independent, he's relied on Stark as a mentor and has been to space. He's already in the thick of it, and isn't really a standout. I suppose the major element with him is his being a kid and working things out, undergoing a constant "graduation" as befits his schoolkid status. He'll probably need to handle things himself, but he'll always need to rely on people.

Maybe this sequel will showcase something interesting for this Parker.

19. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Comics Explained interview:

20. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I’ll admit that while they’ve nailed the personality, everything else surrounding Peter just doesn’t quite feel like proper Spider-Man. For a case of proper portrayal just look at the PS4 game.

Of course he’s still early in his story, so who knows where his character will go.

I’m mostly curious in regards to these supposed reveals/twists that the early reactions mention.

• Like Like x 3