Spider-Man 3 (MCU) - July 16, 2021

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Sep 27, 2019.

1. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    I didn't even do that but I've heard NOTHING but greatness about the tracks (especially the one that combines all 3 themes) and Track 19. Especially with MCU Spidey's theme is in NWH and how MCU Peter's theme and him have just evolved since Homecoming. It just gonna be great to experience the movie and the themes all in theaters.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    Yeah I’ve heard amazing things as well, especially when it comes to “Track 19” but I really want to save my experience of the soundtracks for the context of when they play in the movie. The preview seems sort of nonspecific like an introduction so I was fine with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Yeah, track 19 is the one that is talked about the most (and I know 100% why). And as much as I want to listen to it I will wait to experience that one (and the others) in the theaters. Michael Giacchino is GOATED and I can't wait for his The Batman Soundtrack as well, gonna kill it there as well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    66A76C5D-D39E-422C-AD4D-30827C470FC8.png

• Like Like x 3
  5. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Makes sense and I expected it too with or without seeing the footage with him and MJ swinging away since the movie is gonna deal with the events of FFH and they're no change it would be a couple of months after it.

• Like Like x 4
  6. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
  7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  8. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
  9. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

James Cameron doesn't seem like a good fit for Spider-Man. He wanted to have "gritty reality" for his proposed take on the character. The problem is that no such thing is necessary.

Peter is an orphan, raised by his elderly aunt and uncle. They were a family of meager means. Peter is ostracized by his peers in school. He gains extraordinary powers but loses his uncle in a moment of moral weakness. He carries the burden of guilt. He then has to work a job while in school to support his widowed aunt. Despite his powers, he can't financially benefit from them lest he compromises his morals and ethics, which contributed to his uncle's death in the first place. Instead of his life changing immediately and materially better due to acquiring powers, things largely stay the same or actually get worse (his aunt's safety is jeopardized if villains know his identity).

So Spider-Man is not just gritty but grounded in reality. I don't think James Cameron would have made a fundamentally good Spider-Man movie because he doesn’t seem to quite understand the core aspects of the character.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your answer lies in you clicking on and sharing that article.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    HOLY MOLY

(shot from a TV Spot, spoilers)
    "I'm Green Goblin no more..."
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    At this point I think I’d rather have a James Cameron “gritty” than the multiverse and whatever else the MCU is doing with Peter. Especially since he described in that article that his version of “gritty” was Peter having to deal with the financial issues of a torn suit and making ends meet. Those issues do seem inline with who Spider-Man is, especially in contrast to the high-tech suits in the MCU.

And aside from the suit, part of the big draw of Spider-Man is his personal life, if all the the villains are from other realities they have no connection to the Peter in these films - thus all the character development from his interactions with those villains is no longer there.

Who is Peter Parker if he doesn’t have actual interactions with Norman and Harry Osborn and the guilt and conflict that comes from those interactions? Who is Peter if he doesn’t grow from his interactions with Otto? These kind of story beats are the core of what a good Spider-Man story is.

I find it highly questionable to make him fight against a bunch of villains who he has no personal investment with, especially when they’re riffing off of One More Day to make it happen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    They did that "personal connection" thing great with the Vulture and Mysterio. And Green Goblin and Doc Ock. And Lizard. But, just like the comics, not every Spider-Man story needs to be that. The impression I get from the trailers is they're playing with the difference between the villains hating a version of Spider-Man, and this Spider-Man not really having a connection to them. Which is actually more interesting to me than the 8th go-round on the personal connection train.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Agreed. Each Spidey version has tried to do their own thing, they’re purposely not trying to retread previous ground. I can’t fault them for that. You gotta judge them on their own merits and not on whether they emulate past versions well enough.

• Like Like x 3
  16. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Admittingly, as much as I am enjoying MCU Spidey, I am getting a bit tired of "School boy Peter". I know the appeal of Raimi's Spidey is seeing an adult Peter struggling with life outside his hero hours and SpiderVerse Peter B. was also the same with his falling love life. But until I see NWH I can't tell what Peter's life is going to be. But if Marvel's plan to continue sticks and actually commit to it then I do hope they go this approach in the future. Peter can't stay a school boy forever and Tom Holland isn't getting any younger. And if the spell does work and the world forgot he's Spider-Man permanently, then that means not even the Avengers would come to help him when in need and they won't supply him with tech or suits, which means he will be back on depending on himself like how he was before getting recruited by Tony.

One can only hope it goes this way.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Ya, I’m still hopeful as well.

I really don’t get why Spider-Man always has to be high school aged these days. I enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man as much as the next guy, but the 616 Spider-Man graduated high school in issue #28 of ASM.

90 percent of the original Spider-Man stories involved him being an adult. He shouldn’t only be relegated to the role of being a child.

18. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Eh, we already got five of that movie. I'm more interested in watching him work with the whole Avengers team and eventually growing into a leadership/mentor role for even younger heroes. That's a better arc, IMO, than "Sam Raimi's movie, but again."

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Any new Spidey series usually starts in high school because:
    -it’s going to be someone’s entry point into Spidey and starting at the beginning is a good place for that.
    -high school drama is easier to write and more relatable.
    -conversely, real life adult drama is harder to incorporate into super hero stories (IMO)

I’m not being dismissive about people getting tired of the high school setting or saying Peter should always be in that setting but I’ve always thought that the older Peter got, the more “problematic” it becomes for him to be Spidey. And the reason for that is because the older you get, the more responsibilities you pile on in your life. And being Spidey, when people depend on you for food, rent, safety, parenting is hella irresponsible and kind of a jerk move (IMO).

That’s just my take on it. Peter retiring to raise a family or just sticks to being a loner with few/loose connections are his only two options. Anything in between is just juvenile fantasy wish fulfillment. Apologies for the rant :D 

• Like Like x 1
  20. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

They did try that with the Clone Saga comics by retiring Peter and giving moniker to Ben Reilly but that didn't last long.