Speed Stars Die Cast Vehicles Wave 1 (and 2) out at US Retail

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Aug 10, 2010.

1. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I did see Sideswipe when I first went to TRU but he was gone when I got back there.. as for BB..only saw the one with the shield, of course the shieldless one could have disappeared with Sideswipe. :lol 

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

*Still :drool:  over Patrol Barricade*

I can only hope that I can find him when I try and go shopping fairly soon.

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I really liked the Ironhide... Red truck..:thumb 

4. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Spotted them at TRU in Paramus, NJ. Pass.

5. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There should also be a non-Highway Patrol Barricade, IIRC. Looks similar to the Commander Series version, but is die-cast.

MIKE
    engledogg

6. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Aren't these just the Metal Heroes RPMs repackaged in the new Speed Stars packaging??? So Metal Heroes have been out in Canada for a while at Zellers. I've seen Highway Patrol Barricade and Soundwave myself.

Personally I'm late to the game when it comes to collecting these things, just picked up Long Haul last weekend... I figure I'll get some, but not all of each series. So if these are just re-packaged Metal Heroes, then I'll have to pass since I'm going to pick up the Metal Heroes as soon as possible. :D 

7. ghoyle

ghoyle Member

News Credits:
    The RPM Metal Heroes #6 version of Ironhide was black, not red.
    This one is more like the Enforcer Ironhide which came in the Battle Series 2 2-pack with Mixmaster.

RPMs were a nightmare to keep up with due to all the repacks, various naming and numbering schemes and some series just not arriving. I wonder if Hasbro will treat Speed Stars any better than RPMs?

8. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    MAN! I am never gonna get a first sighting, I posted about these and thier heavily armed gun popping cousins for a week now!

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I just cracked open speed stars Soundwave. (war for cybertron/ Animated hybrid)

The first thing I noticed was the clear windows that let you peer into the hollow vehicle. The clear circuits on the doors.

Second the The whole body is die cast! Wow that really makes Soundwave tougher than any of my RPMS cons.

It also explains the weaker paint aps now on the repeat molds.

Going to grab those $9.99 hound, silverstreak, soundwave, and bumblebee shifting weapon vehicles next. They were pretty fun to mess with at toys r us and really felt like a modern version of the 80s switch force cars.

The next highest pricepoint with Megatron and Gears felt more like starcom do to the winding motors.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  10. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I want the Ironhide, Barricade, and one of the Bumblebees. Don't know if I'll get any more than those.

11. neeral36

neeral36 The Lost Wrecker

Apparently these are available at Dollar General stores nationwide. I believe I saw them today while hunting the new Generations Minicons.

12. DrBifford

DrBifford Well-Known Member

I know, I posted them in the PA sightings

13. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What section were they located? In the cars or with the other Transformer?

14. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    As mentioned by Sol Fury, the diecast version of the Minivehicles had a short lived release in RPMs packaging, before their relaunch in Speed Stars packaging (and Hasbro decided to do some colour changes in the process - Official Images Of Upcoming Transformers Toys : Speed Stars, Stealth Force, Crossovers And More - Transformers News).
    The sub-group/theme numbers still match up though, so you should still be able to look out for the same character toys (just in some different colours).

The RPMs packaged Minivehicles were released in Australia about 2 weeks ago (in addition to the Philipines and Canada), but I think we only got 2 of the 3 waves though, as I haven't found four of them yet.

(I've noted the deco differences on the ones I have, that came in RPMs packaging... but images of all of them can be found in the resources section - ROTF RPMs - Transformers RPMs - Transformers Resources)

Metal Heros series (8)
    1 - Bumblebee (RPMs version has car grill painted black and different parts of the robot painted)
    2 - Jetfire (RPMs version has no red underneath, no Autobot symbol on tailfin)
    3 - Optimus Prime (RPMs version has more flame deco, and robot is painted in normal Optimus colours)
    4 - Soundwave
    5 - Highway Patrol Barricade (RPMs version has more paint apps on car mode, no red underneath)
    6 - Ironhide (RPMs version is black, and brown underneath)
    7 - Sideswipe (RPMs version has more car paint apps, and red swords on the robot)
    8 - Lockdown

NEST Global Alliance series (3)
    1 - Bumblebee (RPMs version has black stripe on side of car, different parts of the robot painted)
    2 - Optimus (RPMs version has darker colours for the truck, robot is silver on brown background)
    3 - Ironhide (RPMs version is silver, robot is black on brown background)

Stunticon series (3)
    1 - Bumblebee (RPMs version has paint apps on sides of car, different parts of robot painted)
    2 - Barricade
    3 - Lockdown

I really like these diecast ones, for the weight and the way the metal highlights the sculpting better than the plastic did. But they're too heavy for the Devastator Trackset launcher now... (hope the new Trackset doesn't have that same problem).

15. The_Cube

The_Cube Active Member

Another thing of note is that the RPM's version has a molded car interior with a steering wheel, seats, and speakers at the backseat which is awesome.

The speedstars version also lacks tail lights, the tiny decepticon symbol on the grill, the decepticon symbol at the back of the car, the 'Soundwave.Audio' text along the sides, and the red circular outline along the wheels are of a metallic red on the rpm version while this new one has a dull red.

16. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Saw them at a Kmart in Hagerstown Maryland last Thursday, and saw Jetfire at Family Dollar last Tuesday.

17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'll get Soundwave, cause, you know, it's Soundwave. The others I'll wait to either hit clearance, or Dollar Tree like I did for the RPMs.

18. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amen!

19. ToddJumper

ToddJumper Toddimus

Ebay:
    These were at my TRU two weeks ago, little late on the front page news, but I do not collect these, I like transformers that actually transform.

20. ionacus

ionacus Well-Known Member

i saw them last night. they look cool.