Speculation: What Generations Toys mean for IDW

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by FantomLibrarian, Jul 19, 2013.

1. FantomLibrarian

FantomLibrarian Iaconian Data Coordinator

So I figured now was as good a time as any to bring up what IDW's success with the Transformers brand means to Hasbro. Unlike DW, IDW's successful comic series based on the Transformers brand has now resulted in Hasbro official Generations toys based off characters' designs from the comics.

I would hesitate to say this is unprecedented as the practice is standard for major comic lines and their toy licensees but for a toy to be based on a comic based on an older toy seems rather like the IDW-Hasbro relationship is getting on well...

To date we have: Generations Metroplex (the design isn't so much based on appearance but rather the bio - Titans are mentioned making their first appearance outside IDW continuity), Orion Pax, Space Bridge Megatron, Trailcutter/Breaker, Hoist, Drift, Tailgate, Swerve, Whirl, and on the Takara-end Senator Ratbat.

Thoughts?

2. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i wonder how popular these figures will be for mainstream consumers

3. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

The impression I got was that Hasbro wanted comic pack ins so IDW made storylines around it.

The spotlights were pretty much mandated by Hasbro.

Im not saying IDW aren't successful, Im saying that its not a result of IDWs success that we're getting half of these toys, its because Hasbro wanted to put comics in with certain figures. (Goldfire bee, Bomber megs etc)

4. FantomLibrarian

That may be true for Bumblebee and Megatron, but really - Tailgate? And Trailbreaker already had his design before the Spotlights were even greenlit. The spotlights may have been mandated by Hasbro but it's clear that Hasbro designers are looking at comic designs for inspiration - I mean Alex Milne and Don Figueroa are masters of creating art that's easily translatable to toys. Let's not write this whole thing off as corporate shillery...

5. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

Yeah its clear they take inspiration from the Comic designs, I don't deny that but Im hesitant to say its as a result of IDWs success. Heck Takara used DW art all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the IDW stuff and Im sure it *is* successful, Im just not sure if its directly influencing toy choices as much as you think it is. After all we know the theme of the Metrotitans appearing in all Spotlights was editorially mandated by Hasbro, and as that leads into Dark Cybertron, was the entire of that (or at least the characters involved) mandated too?

6. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am almost positive out of all of the new toys to see, Tailgate, Swerve, and Skids (Skids!) wouldn't have been made if not for IDW.

-J

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I give you Tailgate, but have you looked at Trailbreaker? One [comic] is a cybertronian vehicle, the toy one is an earth vehicle. Besides some resemblance in robot mode, they look nothing alike!

Hoist even changed alt modes for his spotlight [he has an earth based vehicle whereas he's clearly cybertronian in MTMTE 3].

I think this is more of a hasbro's move and incentive than IDW. Hasbro wanted comics for these toys, IDW made them. The various discrepancies created by random alt. modes compared to what they have now are explained by the stories taking place in random intervals.

The Metrotitans appearing all of a sudden is probably due to the HUGE marketing push Titan Metroplex is getting ever since FOC, not due to the comic's success.

8. FantomLibrarian

I'll concede the fact that Hasbro does mandate a great deal of fiction relating to the brand but the Metro Titan idea was pretty much all IDW. It didn't appear in the toy universe until IDW introduced the concept. Now perhaps Hasbro wanted IDW to feature Metroplex and that idea became the Metro Titan concept but the point is the nature of the reveal was left entirely up to IDW. This is not the invasive marketing of the G1 Marvel comic, or The Rebirth cartoon episodes; this is fiction directly influencing toys.

9. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    It's six of one, and half a dozen of the other. Hasbro has produced toys based on the characters popular comic appearences, and in turn have asked IDW to include some of their upcoming toys in the comics. Considering the toys they're producing are largely fan favourites anyway, I don't see that it's a problem.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought this thread was going in another direction altogether. Like speculating on whether Screamer gets a new "ruler of Cybertron" upgrade into his Armada form.

11. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    Toys and comic stories are designed and written down quite some time before we get wind of preview images or preview publications.

Metroplex as a figure may have been on the card for as early as early 2012. Hasbro would have wanted IDW to push the concept forward, so they notified them.

There's no denying that the comic concept behind Metrotitans is mostly IDW with some influence and input from hasbro, but with how long figures go from nothing to release, I doubt somebody at hasbro caught wind that there's a metroplex theme in IDW comics 9 months ago and thought "hey, let's make one as well" and 9 months later, here we are. These things take time ;)  , possibly more than we are in the know of.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hope this means Windblade is getting her shot in the story.

13. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I talked to Andrew Griffith last year at tfcon, the toy dedigns were being passed around the idw office back then.

I think at some point it was discussed that Hasbro would.like the FOC designs to appear in the comics, it just makes sense from a marketing perspective to have everyone on the same page as much as possible.

I would doubt Hasbro handed Roberts and barber scripts and said make this into a comic. More likely they said here are the toys we are working on ( metroplex, for example). Can you guys work these into the comics somehow. I'm pretty sure creative control rests in the hands of IDW, but it is better for both parties if the toys sell the comics and the comics sell the toys (and they both reference the character designs from the video game FOC).

There are some striking similarities across the different medias, like ore 14 resurects Dreadwing for the dark Cybertron event and in TFP:BH dark energon and synthen make super zombies/vampires - both introduced in their respective continuities in the same month? Coincidence?

Summary, I don't think Hasbro is taking away creative control from Roberts and barber, I think that Hasbro is keeping them in the loop long in advance and Roberts and barber are doing a bang up job of weaving Hasbro toys and concepts into their respective comics.

14. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    According to the SDCC panel from today focusing on IDW's Hasbro properties, ALL of the Dark Cybertron issues are going to be toy pack-ins. It's to try and get new readers into the comics.

15. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

That would Explain Dreadwind, Skids, Whirl, Scoop, Skywarp not having spotlights yet or planned. Rather than forced spotlight media, just pack'em into the current comics. makes sense. Heck it seems like beastwars characters will be introduced very soon into the comics. So, that further paces out Rhinox and Rattrap.

Sounds like any Deluxe figure coming along will be a comic pack-in then. I was wondering with the few left over deluxes if they'd sell them with or without comics.

That does mean that Scoop has at least a cameo or small part coming up I would hope.

Wonder what they'll do for deluxe Armada Starcream then? Random IDW G1 Starscream comic?

16. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    Scoop might just get a cameo or a semi important role in an issue, like Dreadwing did.

One question though, for people who either miraculously have a carded sample of such bots or saw them upclose at SDCC;

Are the pack-in comics regular size, or are they scaled down like the BW comics that were included with some BW figures back in...06?

17. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I'm also hoping that this mean that we will also be seeing other characters that have been featured quite a bit recently will also see plastic form soon.

Generations Scorponok anyone (or at least that long awaited rumored Energon Scorponok in G1 colors)?

18. Ninshadow

Ninshadow Well-Known Member

It seems that Hasbro are going to make all of the Wreckers with new molds we got Springer and Sandstorm. As well as the upcoming Whirl, Scoop and who knows we might get Impactor, Roadbuster or any number of obscure Wreckers.

19. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    would you rather a metroplex centric story or bumblebee ?

20. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    To be perfectly honest, we're getting Rodimus and Prowl and Bumblebee centric stories with Metroplex and others of his kind in the distant background...