Special Ops Jazz (Reveal the Shield)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Optimus Prime, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ediblesteak

ediblesteak Well-Known Member

I liked this figure, but I wasn't too happy with the lack of paint apps, so I added some.

I don't want to get too into it now since I'm not done yet, but when I am, I'll post the picks in the customs forums.

overall, I definitely like this figure. :thumbs2: 

2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow...

So after a suggestion from Haloid1177, I went a grabbed this one at my "secret weapon" store..

I cant believe I passed on this one as many times as I did. I freakin fanstastic. I LOVE gun storage...The bot mode is straight up JAZZ babay! Car mode looks a bit chinsy, like an animated toy, but the awesome bot mode makes up for it.

Thanks again Haloid1177!

3. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad you got him!

It's easy to be turned off by the lack of paint, and that much white plastic rarely does a toy many favors, but I really love this one.

To me, his robot mode is one of the most well-proportioned as far as the comic/cartoon style. He's among my very favorites since the good outweighs the drawbacks by a landslide in my book. I admit, I did buy a 2nd on clearance since I may have to add some paint.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No problem, man. I'm bias as he's my favorite character, but I just think he is the best Classics figure I own, if he counts. The transformation is nothing special, except his car mode is super small and his robot mode is a little taller than normal. But the gun rocks, the speakers are a great addition, and it just all around rocks. Glad you found one, though, as he's long gone in my area.

5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I cannot recommend this figure enough, myself. If anyone is having issues with the deco, like...seriously...get this and knock yourself out. It makes him look a TON better. That's what I did. I don't need to buy the United version to have a kick-ass looking Jazz.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Pretty much the only decent thing in that reprolabels set is the grill and tail lights. Everything else is just an eye sore. Especially the spoiler stickers.

7. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't know how that can even be considered an eyesore. It turns Jazz into a race car. Unless you don't dig that kind of deco on cars, which I suppose I can understand.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That's what I mean. He looks better as a regular car. The race car stuff just doesn't fit. It looks like exactly what it is, tacked on. Frankly I thought the number four on his hood was kinda pushing it, but it didn't blatantly stick out like a silver spoiler or shiney black line across the windshield.

9. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just wanna say that I have been a member at ALOT of different toy boards, and mabye im just an asswipe, but I REALLY appreciate alot of the good, level headed guys like you. I try to get a laugh out of you guys sometimes with the crazy shit I post, but I just try to make things a lil light hearted when so many take this hobby so serious. Seriously...Pretty damn good crew here, and I appreciate you guys. Haloid, fakeeyes, Thanks again gentleman.

Ive never ordered from them before, But that looks really good. I think Ill check the prices and mabye this Jazz will be one to give em a try. Thank you too!

The thing with THIS transformer, for me, is THIS is at the core, a great evolution of a toy we all loved as a kid. Sure it dont have rubber tires..or metal parts, but sometimes a nice, simple TFmation puts the FUN into a figure. Is it better than a ROTF leader prime? NO...but I tell you what, when Im playing with this one with my boy, when He, or myself go to TF it, we dont have to take a 15 minute time out to go from one mode to another. Im one of those guys that LOOOOVE a good, complex TFmation. Hell, I buy TFs I dont like, just to sit and TF it like a rubiks cube. But when its time to PLAY...THIS...THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE...is what a transformer toy is all about.

Still.....STILL cant believe I passed on this one as much as I did...

Thanks again guys,

Dave

10. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jazz is some serious fan lovin.'

11. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll second the Reprolabels suggestion. I got the set as soon as it was released and it completely eliminates any deco flaws Jazz has and truly nails it with the G1 feel. I may have been overexcited about this toy in my initial review, but with the Reprolabels set he truly deserves a 10/10. Heck, he might even go to 11.

12. FakeEyes22

News Credits:
    I've been checking out and considering reprolabels for years without buying them, but I've been thinking for a while now that Jazz may be the one that most deserves the extra love.

Not sure about the grill sticker. He could use some color there like the United version, but placing labels on sculpted surfaces has always been a pet peeve of mine even on the official sheets that come with TFs and Joe vehicles. My G1 Prime reissues got no faction symbol since I know it won't go on flat because of his shoulder rivets. Still, that wonderful fresh-sticker silver screams "G1 TOY!" in a way that is hard to resist.

I see Jazz get knocked around a bit in some threads, so it's great seeing some love thrown his way. I've enjoyed all sorts of Transformers styles and series throughout he years, but often times the direct G1 homages or recreations have felt a little bit off. They were still great, but they just didn't usually capture a certain feeling. To me, Jazz feels just about right in that way. Not to oversell it, but only MP-10 and a few others do that for me.

13. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Understandable. I've always liked the Porsche race car look. Basically he can pass for a GT class race car, which are essentially production cars modified for long distance races. I haven't caught up in a long while but I was quite a fan of European racing so Jazz's race deco always excites me.

14. Yop the Yopper

Yop the Yopper Banned

Yeah, I just got this guy the other day and now I'm actively seeking out the Ark crew in Classics style and this guy set it all off and in motion. I used a silver gundam marker on his grill and it ended up looking more like graphite, but it totally brought him to another whole level of awesome and was such an easy mod. It was this thread that convinced me to open him instead of flipping him in a trade so thanks for spotlighting such a cool fig.

15. FakeEyes22

News Credits:
    I've been threatening Jazz with a silver marker for months, but I read this and went ahead with it.

One simple thing makes him look extra slick! I'm loving it.

16. Yop the Yopper

Yop the Yopper Banned

Glad to be the catalyst. It really does break up the chest and its whiteness up nicely. I now need to get my hands on some Autobot decals for the hood.

17. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now just waiting for Black Jazz aka Stepper to be out soon

18. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I too went with a silver sharpie on Jazz's grill and rims and man what a differences. For me I might just get some faction symbols for Jazz because that rub sign is kinda silly on the roof, but I like how he looks.

19. ediblesteak

ediblesteak Well-Known Member

20. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude that's pretty awesome what you did there. What kind of paints did you use because I was just considering doing the exact same thing to my copy of Jazz but with Testors Enamel Paints?