Space Bridge Concept

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by lazerface, Nov 29, 2012.

1. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always liked the Space Bridge concept in the G1 Cartoon and Marvel Comic series. Although I am a bigger fan of the comics in general, I think the cartoon Space Bridge had a cooler aesthetic.

I remember seeing the movie Stargate when it was in theaters, and thinking it was borrowing the Space Bridge idea from Transformers. I'm sure Transformers writers got the idea from somewhere else, though. It's kind of funny how the Transformers Prime design seems to resemble Stargate now.

What is your favorite incarnation of the Transformers Space Bridge?

What are some examples of Space Bridges in movies/tv/books/comics BEFORE Transformers?

What are some examples of Space Bridges in movies/tv/books/comics AFTER Transformers?

What was the first Space Bridge in science fiction literature?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    A space bridge is just a wormhole. Wormholes have existed in fiction ever since Einstein's equations predicted them. Heck they've probably been around longer tan that. Star Trek and Stargate have the best wormholes in my opinion.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I like the Marvel comics Space Bridge. I like that it was literally a bridge across space. I also liked that it transformed and was actually made from Spanner, the guy that invented it.

Okay, all Space Bridges and Ground Bridges kinda look like a Stargate these days, but consider that the Stargate is just a G1 cartoon Space Bridge stood up on its edge.

So just like Space Bridges, things are circular.

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I like the fork-like thingy from Animated.

[​IMG]

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually found the Marvel G1 Space Brige kinda creepy it that it was actually made out of a living Transformer. I don't remember Spanner being that happy about being a bridge either. So I guess I prefer the G1 Cartoon Space Bridge. It was fun how it also lifted rocks from the desert.

Anyway, I also like the Wormholes of Star Trek, and the Ground Bridge of TF Prime tears a page from RID/Car Robots, although it's slightly different in that it doesn't require new builds. The Bots in Armada had a similar system closer to TF Prime.

It's hard to say who had the first Space Bridge. Some of the events in the original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits sure came close to it. Warp Drives and Hyper Drives that excced the speed of light in fiction are also a kind a bridge, bending or breaking current physics of Einstein time and space.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Did they ever have a stab at explaining the science behind it? I kinda see it as like a tuning fork, and the frequency it gets set to vibrate at determines spatial destination or something like that.
    Nah, he wasn't. He even transformed to 'robot' mode so Blaster (I think it was him) could better places explosives to destroy him and put him out of his misery.
    That one certainly required a lot more effort. I couldn't ever properly figure out exactly how it was supposed to work. They build tunnels and ramps around the whole planet but driving somewhere still takes very little time, even if it's the other side of the world. There are entrances but they're hidden. Does the bridge network actually exist in real space? You'd think humans would be accidentally digging it up all the time considering how much of it there was knocking about.

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    They never explained how it works as far as I remember, but I always saw it as some kind of space tuning fork teleporter thing so I'm guessing your idea has some credibility to it.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the Animated design, but there's always something appealing about the Stargate-like look they use in Prime. I like how it consists of multiple inner rings and that they still have to cross a small track inside the bridge itself before getting transported to the new location.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    The subject of how this stuff works has been brought up before. Allow me to quote myself.

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I enjoyed the teleportation ability held by the Seekers and the Fallen in ROTF. I thought it was a good revision of the concept; it was less an advanced tech, and more of a special mutant squadron ability to warp through space and travel great distances.

11. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Cybertron. It was literally a bridge in space.

12. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    lets not forget the portal gun!

also, transformers energon had space bridges galore! it seemed like they went everywhere via the space bridge, which was a huge hulking array of satelite dishes at first. then later just random swirls of light everywhere.

13. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I think my favourite incarnation of the space bridge is the DOTM one, with Sentinel's pillars. Not only that the pillars looked pretty cool and could change the size of the bridge with how many there are, but the actual effect of the bridge (The large tower-esque energy in Washington, the huge blue field forming around Cybertron) is pretty awesome :D 

Outside of Transformers, while not a space bridge per se, I love the slipspace effect of the ships in the Halo series, particuarly the one generated by the UNSC Infinity. It has a gorgeous sound effect as the massive ship enters the portal :D 

I also like this one as well :D 

14. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, I totally forgot about the RID space bridge! I like that too.

I had a similar idea a while ago..what if, in a continuity in which the Transformers lie dormant on earth for years, Teletraan-1 keeps track of, and modifies, key locations throughout the ages, so that they become fit for future space bridge entry points.

I don't know, I think it would be fun to have recordings of Sky Spy sightings in human history. People mistaking it for a ufo (although technically it is!) while it flies through a Western town at night.

In modern times the Autobots would drive into a back alley and the entire path would transform and reveal a drive-in tunnel (one that leads into a space bridge pocket dimension, of course, I don't imagine the Autobots traversing earth's entire inner core :lol  ).

15. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

What happened to those rocks? Why did they never land on the characters being transported via space bridge or come rolling out at Shockwave?

I also preferred the cartoon representation of it. I though the look in the comics (with half the bridge appearing at the destination) was odd.