Heavy/Scratch: Soundwave Phone Case

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Snaku, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMG_20180921_061413~2.jpg
    IMG_20180921_061455~2.jpg

3d printed phone case that I designed in blender and printed on a Maker select. Painted with Duplicolor blues to get the nice metallic flake look and then hand painted the details. Thin sheet of clear plexiglass for the tape window.

Unfortunately I just can't seem to figure out paint no matter what I do. The finish isn't nearly as smooth as I would've liked. I did an experiment with an epoxy as a clear coat but it came out all wavy so I opted for an automotive clear coat paint instead. It probably won't stand up to abuse as much as I'd like it to but I hope it'll be good for a while at least.

I'll be uploading the model to Shapeways soon. It's for the Google pixel XL.

[edit] First day in my pocket and the silver paint is already peeling. That plus the fact that it turned from silver to grey once I clear coated it, makes me wish I'd opted for a nicer silver paint. The blue shades are automotive paint but the silver is Testors I think - I already had it laying around. I guess I'll have to print another one and not cheap out on the paint this time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 55
  2. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    That's pretty awesome man.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheIcon333

TheIcon333 Active Member

Wow, that's just awesome...that rub sign on the front is genius! I've been thinking about getting into 3D printing for a while now and was wondering, projects like this phone case, would you consider it something fairly easy to design for someone breaking in or is it intermediate and so on? I'm pretty good at graphic design so I'm not computer illiterate. I was just wondering how long have you been at 3d printing to have the know how to design something like this? Thanks for any info you can give and again, awesome phone case!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say it's on the easier end. My 3d design skills aren't that deep and it helps that Soundwave is basically a bunch of squares. Most of the struggles I had were from not doing a good enough job taking measurements from my phone (first prototype had all the holes slightly off) and from managing blender's glitchiness when it comes to combining shapes.

Thanks, I'm actually pretty proud of the rubsign. That area seemed bland and didn't have a camera lens to break it up like the other side. Making a space for a rubsign seemed like the ideal solution. It doesn't respond very well to my finger but it shows really clearly after I take the phone out of my pocket.

Another corner has begun pealing. Seems it's only the silver paint so far - the blue underneath it is intact. I'll keep using this case for a while and see if it has any other troubles before I print the next one.

Also, I guess I should talk about the design a little. Didn't really have time this morning when I made this post. The case is in two sections - upper and lower (or left and right from Soundwave's perspective) the lower section is shorter and it fits inside the larger. It's divided at the panel lines on the left side of Soundwave's chest and the button panel. It has a slight raised ridge with an indent on the larger side for it to lock into. That plus the tension holds it together really well. In fact it's really freakin' hard to take it apart.

I had originally planned to line the entire interior with a thin neoprene rubber to keep dust and lint out but it turned out I couldn't do it on the front and back and still be able to fit the phone inside. Also, I couldn't get cutouts for the buttons and camera holes to line up correctly (kept getting pushed aside by the phone as I was sliding it in) so there's just a few pads inside rather than an entire lining. I'll just have to deal with the lint. Maybe on my next print I'll add another millimeter of space inside so I can better fit the lining and I'll definitely cut it and glue it in place before assembling the front and back halves of the case.

Conveniently, my pixel XL is only a smidgen narrower than mp Soundwave (from the top to the bottom of his tape deck mode) so the case is almost the same height. It is quite a bit wider, though. This made it so I was able to make the tape door exactly the right size to hold a tape bot or microcassette... if the door were functional and if there weren't, you know, a big ol' phone taking up all the space inside. I plan to, at some point, design a really thin Laserbeak/Buzzsaw to put behind the door. I was thinking of modeling it after the g1 version and getting a set of labels from toyhax to make it pretty much look like there's a real Buzzsaw inside.

5. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

why hasnt Habro done this? out of all the stupid junk they make they havent made cool phone cases inspired by our favorite TF's. I'd have this all over my phone. touche good fellow u have made me want something i will not be able to get.

• Like Like x 6
  6. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    Awww man this is sick! I love this so much! Are you considering making this for other phones like IPhone 8 Plus?

7. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean I could try but I got it wrong the first try on my phone and I actually have mine to measure and stuff. I don't have an iPhone so I could try to find the measurements but I'd have no way to confirm it. Also, it's not going to work for any phone that needs the center of the back uncovered - where the tape door is.

8. the_last_toltek

the_last_toltek technobot

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    nice

• Like Like x 1
  9. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Oh mah Gods I want that!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AWESOME!

• Like Like x 1
  11. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Man that is crafty and cool as hell, front & back!! :buttrock 

• Like Like x 1
  12. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Yes! That is an excellent idea with supurb execution.

• Like Like x 1
  13. shadowbug

shadowbug Well-Known Member

I need this in my life.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros Well-Known Member

Best. Phone case. Ever.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 Clearing out, Buy my stuff!!

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is super cool.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yohan PLMIXMB

Yohan PLMIXMB Not well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instrument of Destruction!
    Nice done, i love that

• Like Like x 1
  18. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 Clearing out, Buy my stuff!!

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I realize this thread is old but, How do you take it off?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's in two pieces. The left side slides into the right.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 2