Sorting Search Results

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by offrampclimber, Oct 1, 2016.

1. offrampclimber

offrampclimber Tree Fiddy

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I appreciate the improved search results of the new forums; it's much more accurate, thanks! But now I don't know how to sort the results. Is there a way to sort search results by the thread's last reply date? It appears to only sort by original post date.

Sorting threads by last reply would come in handy in the Junkion Exchange, where people typically only update the first post, and that first post may have been created years ago, then continually edited. Sorting by last reply date would be helpful to see who is still bumping their thread.

2. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    You can, but prob not exactly how you are thinking.

It needs to be done via the advanced search screen. You can choose the sort type before the search is executed.

Search Threads and Posts | TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

If you choose the posts tab, sort by most recent, that will give you the end result I think you're looking for.

It can't be done on demand after the search is done and you're looking at results.

3. offrampclimber

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Thanks for the tip, but that's still sorting individual search hits by most recent post date. I've tried all the other options, too, and it doesn't look like what I'm looking for is possible.

Use this as an example: Bigkid24's BST thread was started in 08.2007, but he keeps the first post updated through edits, and bumps the thread pretty consinstently; last thread bump by reply was 09.13.2016.

Running a search for "farmboy" returns 3 results. Of the 3 results, my desired result would be bigkid24's thread first, because the overall thread was updated most recently, but his is last, because the search term shows up in a post from 2007. With longer result lists, his thread would be near the end, and probably never seen by most people.

4. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I see. So you want search results to return Bigkids thread, because he mentioned it in post 1 in 2007, but show that result first because he updated the thread with a "Bump" today.

Right now that is not possible. They are sorting by date, by the time the post was made the actual term was in. Core feature.

Did a search on the software forums, and there is no "plug and play" customization available to get it how you want. Would require custom development beyond my skill set. Will keep it on the list of things to investigate, but can't promise a fix quickly or at all.

5. offrampclimber

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    No problem :)  Thanks Tony!