Sorry to start this topic again about g1 unicron hasbro prototype 1986

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transform27, Mar 29, 2009.

1. backfire

backfire New Member

You rang?

Sorry I'm a little late to the party. (I'm George Hubert by the way) (aka The Weeter - or currently Backfire2187)

Rumor has it that the 3rd H, from the old Botcon organizers, John and Karl Hartman and the other guy Glen something, last name started with H... name escapes me. Ah HA! Glen Hallit - Transformers Wiki That's him! Well, that's the suspected owner of the (a) Unicron G1 Prototype.

Anyway, rumor had it that he bought this prototype for a LOT of money. SO I would assume that the more recent shots of the prototype, fully transformed are as a result of him lending it out. (Does it say anything in the last article about this toy from AFN&TR? about prototypes)

Back in the Men In Black days, I was friends with some really great people, whom I regret that I lost touch with, Linda Rollins aka Star Shadow and her Husband the Instrument of Destruction... At any rate, it's because of them, and letting me help set up the art contest that I was able to be right up close and personal with the Unicron toy as the Men In Black team took it from the armored strong box and bubble wrap. I regret I didn't have a cam corder and only took about less than 10 shots of it. (edit) wait, I did have a camcorder... where the heck is that footage? Hmmm...

If I recall that convention right, chatting with the guy who ran MIB, (man my memory with some names sucks) (cheated, looked this up also, Dennis Barger,) he told me that they had to get a massive insurance policy to have Takara allow the toy to be delivered and on display. Had a guard on hand the whole time. At any rate, he said that they had the choice between the prototype and having Lenny Nimoy attend the conference, but the celeb was way too much money so we got ol Uni.

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Y'know. Rather than speculating whether these things will ever be for sale, why not see if we can get the owners to review them or lend them to someone like Peaugh or Vange1us to review?

Once we get full views on it, how it looks from all angles and transforms, I bet some of the 3rd party guys will make reproductions based on the reviews.

3. backfire

backfire New Member

Not even close. Add another 0 and boost that first didget a lot. Remember, some of these prototypes (do not confuse with test samples, there's a big difference) are one of a kind.

If it was Glen whom Rumor had it purchased the prototype, I highly doubt a collector of his level would sell it.

It wasn't Ricky who told me, honestly I don't remember who did. (Hey Rick if you happen to stumble on this, congrats on expecting! Your Kid is going to have the coolest Dad on bring your parents to school day in class!) Another guy I lost touch with.

Respect the fact that some of these guys, like Glen, The Hartmans, Preto, Rakshaw have some killer stuff most of us would be lucky to ever see. Especially you Rick aka JE Alvarez. I have some pretty cool stuff my self, but no prototypes (unless you count that BW Happy Meal manta ray I have somewhere... might be worth about $2).

Oh and if it was supposed to be some kinda secret, I'll gladly remove the names and edit my post. Hopefully it's not giving unwanted or undue credit where it's not deserved.

The 3 or 4 Energon versions of Unicron arn't enough for ya? Go collect all of those and be happy we got the thing 25 years after the movie came out.

Honestly, I'd much rather see them produce the Neo Unicron, I think the tech there would hold up. Write it into a new story and make the dang thing!

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're willing to opt for layaway, then you are too broke to bother paying for it.

really. this is why i don't go to Miami, hand some car dealer a handful of pocket lint and pennies and say, "I want the silver Maybach, please."

and "I am sorry" to say this, but whoever owns this will never have the urge to sell it.

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Was good reading this thread again, a friend and I were recently talking about who owns him now :D 

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    ...Do you honestly believe that the person wealthy enough to afford such an item would want to ship it to someone else free of charge, and then let it be KOed? What part of that would make any sense whatsoever?

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    only 2 ways i can see it ever coming up for sale :

1. The owner is really desperate for a large quantity of cash

2. the owner passes away and his relatives put it up for auction.

8. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:

Actually grimlock there is a third option,which is the owner passes away and the family just decides to give it to one of the youngens and ends up pieces missing or destroyed altogether.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah yes, an end most fitting for the great Unicron...

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    LOL i can just imagine the looks on the faces of collectors everywhere if that was to happen and it got out. It would be the facepalm heard round the world.

Seriously id hope the owner would have made it clear how valuable it is to his ( or her) heirs.

11. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to how one of the Unicron prototypes came to be in private hands in the first place.

12. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

So why Did the prototype never get an actual toy

13. backfire

backfire New Member

I believe the reason was that it was just before they decided to release the Energon Unicron and made the final decision to NEVER produce the G1 Unicron toy. At that point they could let it go for about the price of a nice new car!

I'd still like to see the BW NEO Unicron get produced, that prototype toy looked awesome.

KO toys shut down posting got closed a little too soon for me to VENT, someone mentioned possibly making a KO G1, so that tied me into this older post.

Honestly, if they were to make a KO Unicron, OR perhaps even if Takara would like to make a cheap smaller toy, take the Microman Cosmo-ball-bot and remake it in Unicron colors. Throw in a ring and a set of add on teeth. They remade the animals for BW's in Japan (my Lion ball bot came from that line).

14. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Because they felt it would be too expensive and no one would buy it. Then they made Fortress Maximus and giggled like schoolgirls all the way to the bank.

15. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Hmm a semi zombie thread :p 

16. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Imagine Fortress Maximus and Unicron switching roles as toy forms.

17. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    People would be saying "Why'd we get this fat turd and not the awesome bruiser?"

18. Spalah

Spalah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, this tread like "Ordinary Transfan and lost Unicron". We have here everything: mystery, conspiracy, adventures and awesome macguffin.