Sony has gone even crazier. They want you to buy Multiple PS3s!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tigran, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

But Nintendo doesn't make the upgrades necessary. If you look at the DS and the original GBA, then it is a perfectly reasonable amount of time. The upgrades on the GBA SP and DS Lite a nice, but aren't necessary to play the new games. The type of upgrades Sony is talking about (except the HD) will be either necessary to play newer games or completely pointless. Again they try to copy Nintendo, something they have not been able to do without fucking up since the PS1 controller was ripped completely from the SNES.

2. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

S:ev:  ny likes to annoy people..

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They're not copying Nintendo. they're copying sega.

Even if you can buy the upgrades without buying a new console, it'll bomb like the 32X and Sega CD did, not to mention Sony's own PS2 Hard Drive.

4. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

:lol :lol :lol 

Console expansions are never a good idea though. Gamepads and no need to upgrade are the two reasons I prefer consoles to PC.

At least this isn't as bad as the HD DVD add on that MS will have coming out. I don't see how they think it will sell when it won't even play games on it.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Microsoft's HD DVD Add-on isnt going to hurt the consumer though. it's just an extra thing you can buy if you want it. its good that it wont be used for games, because then no one needs it, and they don't segment their users.

6. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I think it's wise advice. Sony's made it clear that at $600, you'll actually be saving money on a PS3, so buying two or three can save you even more!

7. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

There's nothing in that article that openly states that anything that Sony adds on to the PS3 will have an adverse effect for users who don't by the new attatchments.

8. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

It's unclear exactly what Sony is getting at here.

If their definition of "configuration" is just stuff like a bigger hard drive, then there shouldn't be an effect on game compatibility.

If, on the other hand, it includes things like more RAM and upgraded CPU and/or graphics, then there's a huge problem. Basically, you split your customer base every time you introduce a game that requires new hardware.

To be fair, this is EXACTLY what happens to PC gamers every year or two -- you end up having to upgrade enough hardware that you essentially end up with a new machine, just to play a new title. I think that's a huge reason why the PC gaming market has been circling the drain for the past couple of years, in comparison to consoles.

If Sony emulates that model, then the one big advantage of their consoles over PC's -- having a stable platform you can run lots of games on without having to upgrade -- goes up in smoke. I'm sure Nintendo and Microsoft will be more than happy to pick up their customers if that happens.

-XCN-

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

No, the huge reason is that the majority of games of the past several years are geared toward console gamers, causing a massive lack of innovation. It's a slap in the face to everyone who made PC gaming great. Upgrading, on the other hand, has come to a relative standstill in the past 2 years or so.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

Unless you can copy the contents of the disc to the memory,. wouldn't it require a second drive??

An internal second drive would mean a fairly major redesign (see $$$$) of the console, .. and there's already a lot of people not buying the first.version. Nevermind the percentage of people who aren't going to buy it a second time.

Kutaragi can make all sorts of statements, but if it's to happen, i think the beancounters will push for an external drive.

11. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    So, let's say they upgrade the PS3 with additional memory, CPUs, etc, that you can replace your old model with. Let's say that you can buy a new system, or just upgrade your old one.

In any case, does this mean then that the FIRST people to buy a PS3 will not be able to play 4th or 5th generation PS3 games without shelling out a ton of money for upgrades...?

I hope not. That's the allure of consoles to me; you don't need to upgrade them, even to play the most advanced game released thus far.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

remember some 64 games where it'll only play with the expnaded memory in....there weren't much....but...

I see Sony doing a .00000000000000000000000000000000001mb memory upgrade to games at $99, so new games wont play unless its upgraded. LOL

13. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Well, the innovation problem is more a factor of ballooning staff and budgets than anything else. When you HAVE to move lots of units just to get your staff paid, the pressure to go with more conservative designs that have sold in the past becomes intense -- and you end up with tons of copycats. It happens in every creative field.

You could argue that consoles add an additional factor by requiring manufacturer (Sony, Nintendo) approval on top of THAT, and it would be true. (The Wal-Mart factor doesn't help, either.) On the other hand, that came about from the amount of sheer crap released for the 2600, which many blame for the collapse of the home video game industry back in the 80's.

There will always be innovation, but the belief that innovation and good sales go hand-in-hand is simply not true, with very few exceptions. Innovation is required to hold people's interest (since rehashes give dimishing returns), but it usually doesn't pay off in the first iteration. It's more of a long-term investment, that often pays off for someone else other than the creator.

-XCN-

14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    At $600 a pop if Sony thinks that I am buying one PS3 let alone multiple ones I have 2 words for them.......

[​IMG]

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Exactly. If they'd stop trying to pander PC games to the Console crowd, I'd be buying a hell of a lot more PC Games. I still do 90% of my gaming on my PC...the other 10% on handhelds.

16. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    "Wrestling's Fake"

????

17. Jux