Some RoTF toys news - new combiner...

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by JazzLuca, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:

It's not a mental leap for the parts, it's a mental leap of all the parts working in unison. How ever many seperate minds joined in one body.

Plus the other aspect is this takes away from the entire aspect of prime being Prime. He leads, and inspires, and fights on even in adversity and unfavorable odds. That's what makes a hero. They may have a good story reason behind why, but majorily I just don't see it working well without coming off as like some of the anime renditions we've seen. The idea of a loss of manpower for one stronger bot, when that bots isn't of a massive nature and imposing, is concerning, it's the same complaints that Transformers energon had lobbied at it. It's also a massive casualty maker, when the autobots attempted so hard in the first movie to not harm anyone, which makes it questionable for the autobots to use in general. With already having fewer numbers than the decepticons, can they really sacrifice their leader on the ground, to the sky?

If this was an option in the first movie, then why not go this route instead of wanting to sacrifice yourself as a last resort? Why not combine with jazz, or someone else to stop megatron from even getting the cube, or awaking? Yes it's a wait and see how it's done type aspect, but if this is mishandled they will be leaving a mac truck sized plot hole that will almost disregard the entire plausibility of the first movie's epic final battle. These are just some of the small concerns I have from looking at this from a creative standpoint. This is almost like the leap of X2 to X3. While it had it's wow moments, some of it was just too wtf to be heralded as another great real world like adaption.

I concur that it doesn't seem like a far reach for combining in alt modes, like frenzy has shown and Scorponok, but they also weren't working in mental unison for appendages or flight, etc.

I'll wait to see final execution, but this does worry me, barring some form of tinkering from Sam, or the new artifact, or even the allspark shard, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this idea. The allspark shard playing a factor I could cope with, as it is a mcguffin of TMA like proportions anyway and potentially could rewrite a bot in any way it chose, even far above the Cybertronians own science understanding. After much consideration, those are the only plausible directions to use and maintain story coherence well to the first movie. Devastator himself could still maintain his gestalt researched roots while Jet Prime could be used without overtly ruining what was built before hand. This method isn't sound, but I trust Orci and Kurzman on this angle moreso than the other suggested ideas.

Air dogfights with starscream and jetfire in the city and out make sense and would rock as shown in the first movie. A ground assault using everything they have on devastator similiar to the first dreamwave mini would also rock. Jet Prime flying all around devastator like a humming bird or other hover type aerial design just seems weird, and while it does relieve ground casualties, it just makes me concerned over clunkiness, and taking away from seeing the autobots use tactics to take down devastator as opposed to just upping the ante of firepower to match. Brains over Brawn.

2. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Since people seem to be bitching a lot, I'm gonna say two robots combining doesn't suck. It's the fact that the autobot's bad ass leader needs to combine with another to fight. I bet megatron won't combine with sondwave to fight

3. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Whoo hoo, Sonic Wing mode!

4. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I know this is the internet and all, and being reactionary is the thing to do, but can we all concede that all we know can be boiled down to 4 words (Prime combines with Jetfire) and nothing else? All the speculation about lessening Prime's importance, questioning the logic you don't know and getting all worked up about other things you don't know is a bit much. Give the filmmakers a break, already. Let the movie come out and THEN rip them to shreds if it sucks, but at least give them a chance.

While the movie universe generally follows the G1 archetypes for the characters, nobody ever said everything in it had to be derived from G1. They've been pretty open about borrowing from the entire 25 years of Transformer mythology.

I know, I know... patience and rationality is no fun. ;) 

5. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    This whole thread should have a soundtrack by Whitesnake:

[​IMG]

:rolleyes: 

6. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Man this is gay as hell I really hope Optimus doesn't combine with Jetfire...that is sooo lame!!! Please Roberto Orci....keep Energon gimmick bullshit out of this movie.

7. Deadend

News Credits:
    Armada, Energon, and Cybertron. I'm still thinking it's the allspark shard that does it, and this isn't something he was even aware of himself initially.

I do trust the movie makers, but even they can be lead astray from ill sources. Which has been one of my concerns of them interacting with the fans.

I do trust Orci and Kurzman to approach this in a logical reasonable manner though, which is why I tend to lean allspark fragment or artifact reason behind it.

If it's crap, I'm not blaming the movie makers, I'm blaming the fans since it was 'our' input that did it.

Though honestly, this makes for an awesome distraction away from if arcee is a gestalt or not. It's a great misdirection technique if it proves to be misinformation.
    I'm also almost willing to put money on they call the combined form Superion. I've been having a mild nagging thought in the back of my head that Jetfire would become the movie-verse silverbolt in some fashion. =/

8. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is going to be AWESOME if true. I'd love to see this.

9. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hell yeah brother!

(and we all know 90% of the detractors are gonna go see the movie and buy the toys anyway...)

10. Deadend

News Credits:

I'll still see the movie, but probably pass on the new Prime toy. One 40 dollar prime purchase was enough for that design unless it's leaps and bounds of improvement.

I generally have stuck by my word on series, though I also tend to hit the nail on the head closer than I should with some of my theories.

On the plus side at least. The corvette isn't Hot Rod. I can take solace in that. =D

11. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Since they seem to be doing every type of combiner possible. I hope they do a Transformer with a regular robot mode and a super robot mode made from combing with their extra pieces.

Ultra Magnus would be perfect for that.

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I predict they only combine for a single scene of the final (only? lol) battle after Devastator has merged and is out-powering the autobots.

13. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We can only guess at this point, but I suppose it would "make sense" that the new release Prime would be more accurate and more like his real appearance.

I think when they were desgning the toys for the first movie, they were still using older designs that weren't concrete yet.

Hopefully this time, since the designs for Prime and the main cast are pretty much the same...we get some more accurate transformations/robot modes.

One can only hope though, at this point.

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Man, I really can't believe all the crying going on in this thread. Very laughable.

Frankly, I'm totally down with this. I enjoyed it in the animated series (even if it was a little hokey the way Prime had to combine with Jetfire/Wing Saber, etc.) and I'll enjoy this too if it's pulled off well.

Honestly, Optimus has been combining with something since before G1 (Big Powered anyone?) and I expected they'd pull this out in the movie-verse at some point (and we don't know how it'll be done yet or why... we don't know much about what exactly the Transformers can and can't do yet in this Universe either... for all we know this could be some kind of ability that all Transformers in this Universe share, but it's some kind of taboo to do so, because bad things usually come from it). Basically... we know nothing more than the fact that they will combine at this point. Also, I'm pretty sure Orci and Kurtzman (and the new guy I can never remember the name of) will explain how this is suppose to be possible... especially sense combining seems to be such a big part of the second movie.

Further more... all the Geewunners have really made my day today and have given me a lot of laughs. It's a great idea for six or five robots to combine into a towering giant that's more brawn than brains, but if two robots combine it's 'ghey' (and, seriously, I'm kind of getting tired of seeing this word used for stupid) doesn't really make for a logical position to stand in. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that if one form of combination makes sense than all of them by default must make sense. I mean, seriously, they can combine seven robots (I believe it was stated movie-verse Devastator would be seven individuals), but they don't have the tech to do two? Or doing two is just stupid? Huh? What it looks like it boils down to from reading the naysayers nerd-rage (especially with all the Prime's trailer comments) is that it's not G1 so it must, by default, 'suck balls' and be 'ghey'.

15. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Priceless.

16. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

A more movie-accurate Optimus Prime toy would have to be the biggest selling point as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty happy with my Takara chromed out version and I'd be hesitant to get another unless it was a real upgrade (ie, more accurate). Though combining with another toy is a cool gimmick that might still get me. I bet we won't see new versions of Ratchet, Ironhide, and the like unless there's a new gimmick to them like Prime. Of course, I'm hoping for a Leader class Starscream with a more believable jet mode just like everyone else. ;) 

17. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    The problem with that logic is that Prime was introduced as a solo character. The other combiners all were introduced as having the ability from the onset. Later incarnations of Combiner Prime rarely had that ability explained. I can only think of two instances myself: PM Prime and RID Omega Prime.

I agree with Deadend that there should be some logical explanation for how and why Prime is able to combine with Jetfire. Of course, I expect the same thing with Devastator and any other combiners in the movie. The only difference I see is that Devastator already has a lot of back story/mythos to draw from and Jet Prime does not.

But before anyone gets out the torches, I am not saying this is a dealbreaker by any means. I will see the film because it's a TF film. That's really all I need to know to go see it. A spoiler could say that Prime turns into a Care Bear and Bumblebee's a My Little Pony who gives Bear Prime horsey rides and I'd still go to see it.

The point being, just because I may not like one aspect of the film does not mean I will be a hypocrite by seeing it anyway.

18. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    It shouldn't. The only thing that could possibly work is if...um...

Nope. Don't think this will turn out well. As much as I like the idea of Jetfire being in the sequel, I really don't want any combiners for the Autobots...at least not until Transformers 3. Leave the combining to the Constructicons.

19. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    You know, re: Prime combining...

It's a heck of a lot less cheesy than how he downed Devastator singlehandedly in DW's comics.

That scene could be dramatic - imagine if say Jetfire had to die for Prime to do the combination.

So then it would become tragic at the same time.

20. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

As long as he doesn't yell out "Optimus Prime, SUPER-MODE!!" I'll be fine with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.