Customs: Software Used to Design Transformers/Add-ons

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe, Jan 18, 2018.

1. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this belongs here, but what is a favorite software among Transformer add-on kits/figure designers to create stuff with?

2. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Interested in learning about this as well, if I might add that I'd like to know where to start with tutorials and such.

3. Orinoco77

Orinoco77 Active Member

I'd guess 3d modelling software is going to be the best bet, but there's going to be a huge learning curve there. There's a reason working in CAD and animation is a skilled job. Would be nice if there was something more focused on transformable models, but I doubt there is. Could be an interesting project for somebody. I'm a software developer, but I don't work in 3d, and frankly I wouldn't know where to start. Someone who develops games would probably have more idea. Still intriguing though... What I'd like is something to help visualise where the bits are all going to line up, so I know where tabs need to be on each piece. That would be really handy.

4. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Tinkercad is the simplest modelling program I know of. Fusion 360 is a more powerful one that you can do things like assemble your modelled parts and see how they interact. Both are free and have loads of tutorials on youtube.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Orinoco77

Orinoco77 Active Member

Wow... Tinkercad is awesome, and so much easier to use than I expected. Looks like these things have come a long way since I last played around with them.

6. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    What are the clear advantages Fusion 360 or even Tinkercad have over non-cloud software, in specific regard to modeling Transformers? I'm not too fond of all this cloud software. Wow, Skynet sure has been developing while I've not been paying attention!
    A quick search resulted in this, but I need to go to sleep, so I'll read past the 1st 2 paragraphs later. Fusion 360 vs Blender: The Differences | All3DP

Hm. I did a search to look for threads asking about software, and also heard mention of SolidWorks & Sketchup. also when I found SolidWorks on wikipedia, I found free alternatives. I wonder if FreeCAD is any good. I wonder if I'd be better off just learning Blender. I got really turned off the whole right/left mouse click thing in Blender.

7. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Blender is mainly a sculpting program so I don't know how well it will handle modelling robots - Fusion, Tinkercad, Sketchup and the like are more useful for more blocky engineering type models.

8. valguerra

valguerra Well-Known Member

I would say it all depends on what software you find easier and how much dollars you want to spend on it. There different tutorials out there for different stuff. But not just one dedicate to transformers. I use solidworks cause is the one I have and use before. Not an expert cause do not spend allot of time. But following tutorials is a great way to learn. Different tutorials shoe different techniques that you can use. That's one way I learn photoshop.

9. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

I have used a lot of Computer Aided Design (CAD) softwares and most of them work the same way, the only difference being the one or two things a given software does really well compared to the competition.

Most CAD softwares I'm pretty sure provide "student licenses" that allow a full version of the software to be used for free as long as you don't make money off of what you make. Even though these versions are technically for people in school who are learning the software, some of them (like Autodesk Inventor) can basically be used by anybody.

10. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have a dilemma.

I used to use 123d Design to make simple things to print out on Shapeways, but the creators discontinued the software.

I really liked the software, so I was hoping to find some thing free that is very similar, and also compatible for Mac.

Tinkercad looks really close, but it looks like you can’t do fillet or bevels to easily. There was an easy tool for that in 123d Design.

Any recommendations?

11. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Blender does bevels. I'm not sure what a fillet is - it's like a rounder bevel or something, right? Blender is a little more sculpty and less drafty, though.

upload_2020-5-13_16-48-49.png
    upload_2020-5-13_16-53-40.png

A cube with a bevel modifier applied. The first is a single bevel and the second is five segments to make it more rounded.

12. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Tinkercad looks to be somewhat similar to 123d Design, but a little too dumbed down.

Fusion 360 looks to be what I want, but it is $500 bucks a year.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm still using sketchup free for some reason. It has all kinds of plugins for bevels and the like.

I should graduate to something more advanced but I've never really been motivated enough, it does what I want.

14. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists.

I used sketchup for some things but when I updated my machine I lost all my plugins so it's pretty worthless to me now.

15. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    Just consider that if you're thinking you can use free software for something you intend to sell, while you might not be large enough for them to go after you, that could change in the future, and all the evidence they need is already provided on their cloud servers, since so many of these programs now function exclusively on the cloud. I love my all-seeing, all-knowing, technological overlord! Like, comment, and subscribe!

I would also take this issue more seriously if I were working on large scale 3rd party products even if I were paying for the software. Hasbro/Takara might be lenient to the "grey area" of some of the similarities towards their IP, but that can change. They shut down that Unicron figure because it was competing with their kickstarter. Just imagine if a lawyer showed up at your door instead of just having all the stores cancel your preorders.

Last edited: May 16, 2020