So, why were the larger TF's in the G1 cartoon all so dumb?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 0NightHawk0, Jul 8, 2014.

1. 0NightHawk0

0NightHawk0 Bring forth the Chaos

This is something that pretty much always kept me wondering, in the G1 cartoon pretty much every combiner and larger Transformers such as Trypticon and all, seem like they are missing as much nuts and bolts as the Dinobots do. The only real exception to this seems to be Computron, which makes sense.

When you look at other continuities, such as the Japense G1 cartoon, the comic, the other cartoon series, this doesn't seem at all to be the case. Yet in G1 it seems to be the common rule that bigger = dumber.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tidal Wave & animated Omega Supreme weren't very smart so it isn't just g1

3. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

The brain/size ratio is a cruel mistress. Most Transformers have anatomically small heads, remember.

4. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Probably had something to do with "if they're dumb & lumbering, it's more believable that they can be taken down by all the smaller guys".

5. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Skyfire wasn't dumb...but he was kind of a pansy. He was always getting knocked around. So your point stands, Incepticon.

6. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

It is based on this imaginary idea of balance that characters can't be strong and smart.(see also pre is a perceptor). The reasoning is that if a character like trypticon was both the strongest decepticon and had a good head on his shoulders then people would wonder why he listens to Megatron instead of trying to rule on his own. (A fight trypticon would surely win). Also, if living weapons like the combiners and citybots were portrayed smart enough to actually be effective then people would wonder why they never seem able to kill smaller guys like the main bots or why there are so few of weapons so effective in a war that has dragged on for a million years. If they are as smart as a normal soldier but five times as strong then you'd think optimus and Megatron would have turned this into a gestalt war years ago. All of this is not to say I want dumb giants but I see the logic behind it.

I'd also point that computron only has booksmarts. Judging by his lag time in actually making decisions, he is about as competent as the 'stupid' combiners.

7. Dragonzzilla

Because the Genius Bruiser type can't be overdone. People like that aren't exactly common in real life, and fiction tends to stretch things to extreme.

Or it's an Aesop. It was a children's show, so instilling a sense of "might doesn't make right" would be apt.

8. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Because a giant, super-strong robot who is also a genius is overpowered.

Whilst it's not fully borne out in the cartoon Bob Budiansky gave each combiner a 'fatal flaw' that prevents them being ridiculously powerful compared to other characters:

Devastator: simple-minded, acts without any thought
    Menasor: conflicted and insane due to Stunticons' hatred of Motormaster
    Defensor: has a one-track, sheepdog-like devotion to protecting humans
    Bruticus: has zero initiative of his own
    Superion: quite like Devastator - can only deal with simple, destructive actions
    Computron: absurdly slow at making decisions due to over-thinking

...and so on.

9. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Essentially these. Their lower intelligence/personality flaws balanced out their raw force and firepower, preventing them from absolutely annihilating the opposition and cutting the show short.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Defensor is still the most stable one. He might be somewhat one-track, but on that track, he's pretty effective.

11. Dragonzzilla

Every Combiner is effective in their element.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I will appreciate that Bob thought of the combiners having their own personal weakness.

13. 0NightHawk0

0NightHawk0 Bring forth the Chaos

I think Bob's answer to this is the best answer so far.

And I really didn't mean that they'd have to be geniuses, though if you look at the combiners in the G1 comic they were about as rational as a standard Transformer. And personally I wouldn't consider a larger and smarter Transformer to be overpowered....lord knows there's been plenty of inconsistencies there. Omega Supreme's debut in the G1 comic had him practically invincible, and in a later issue he gets taken down by Buzzsaw, Buzzsaw of all Con's.

14. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I wonder what flaw you could attribute to Predaking then. He's should be regarded as the most dangerous combiner as all the parts work together for the hunt. Maybe that in itself could be the problem, rather than follow orders he's always off seeking the thrill of the hunt.

OR!!!

If we take season 3 when he first appeared (I think) the Cons could have finally gotten the mixture for combiners right, strong with an animal cunning but by that point there are so many combiners going around that it's a lot easier to combat than say in Season 1.

15. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I believe the problem Predating had was more with ferocity and reaction. He reacted to any perceived threat, even if it really wasn't or came from an ally.

16. Fixedwing

Fixedwing Well-Known Member

I was going to say Skyfire but Yeled made the point. I agree with what was said. Have to be stupid or timid so the smaller guys can take them down.

17. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Well the big guys had to have an Achilles heel, I suppose a lack of smarts was the easiest trope. Although in Call of the Primitives having a more simple thought process can turn out to be a strength.

Also put Sky Lynx as another exception to the rule.

18. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Omega Supreme was pretty intelligent, he just had that weird way of speaking (except when he had storytime with Optimus).

19. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

Damn you you beat me to the Sky Lynx argument. LOL Also Metro Plex was smart.

20. Endgamelikespie

Endgamelikespie Well-Known Member

A possible in-universe explanation could be that their bigger bodies use up more processing power than a smaller transformer, since they have more parts to operate at any given time.

Although G1 cartoon Omega Supreme and Metroplex have never shown any signs of lack of intelligence.

And Animated Omega Supreme was outright designed to be that way on purpose.