So who makes the plot?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DECAB419, Jul 13, 2011.

1. DECAB419

DECAB419 Member

I don't know much about the creation of movies, keep that in mind. So basically who makes the plot or story of the movie. I want to know why people blame solely Michael Bay( He's the director not a writer right?) for everything that doesn't happen right. I just want a clear explanation. Sounds pretty easy enough

2. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
    I dont know much too. But i think Ehren Krugher does the plot and he is the writer? I heard he knows some stuff about Transformers history, maybe thats why he used Megatron's master plan and Ultimate doom into the Movie.

Yeah i know there's alot of hate for Bay, but i think some of it is so stupid. Bay is a target because his name is everywhere. 'Transformers Dark of the moon..A Michael Bay film, and in the trailers. "Directed by Michael Bay" AND on posters, so If you going to hate someone, hate the most popular used name lol. I dont think your going to have 'Transformers Dark of the moon Written by Ehren or some stuff like that.

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The credited writer usually shapes the story. A director can make changes on set, usually in conjunction with the writer.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

On the first movie, Orci and Kurtzman "solidified" the plot and create most of it, Krueguer had some input in ROTF, and Bay has creative input as well [he gives random ideas like "Make The Fallen the villain" and Orci and Kurtzman obey and "solidify" the plot on the script, creating the story behind, Bay has also some more "extended" input sometimes] and free-will to change what Orci and Kurtzman wrote [But he never did that, apparently].

On the last, Kruguer created and solidified most of it, with Bay having creative input and free-will to change things.

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I agree about the Bay hate. I think it's stupid. A lot of the things that are wrong with the movies I blame on the first two writers. THEY wrote it. I think Krugher did an awesome job.

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

There's the writers, the co-writers, the producers who handles money matters, and the director who organizes the film.

The writers give the script but that script is edited to the vision of the director.

For example Skids and Mudflap were already there in the script. Bay had them edited due to pressure from Paramount. Along with them the Anti- Autobot side plot.

In ROTF Bay gave in to Chevrolet making the Volt Jolt as a late entry to the cast.

7. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's actually usually a team effort in terms of the plot itself
    there are ideas on the table the producers say we can or can't afford that, the director says I can or can't create that.
    Once the general idea or plot is conceived the writers write it (and the director and producers usually have liberty to tweek or change things), the producers finance it and the director brings his or vision to it
    when we read something we usually picture it playing out in our heads, its the directors job to take what he sees playing in his head and put it on film.

I know this for pretty much for fact. I minored in theater with a film ephasis and have a supplementary teaching credential in it.

P.S. the director is usually the fall guy, the person in front, the person with the A John Doe film on the poster so thats why Bay gets a lot of the hate. I personally appreciate everything he has done and loved it. He is humble enough to say that ROTF was a screwup, he tries to better himself and is very creative, everyone has goofs in their movies and you can't please 100% of the people. People who don't like Bay cry reboot, reboot, but guess what Bay was a reboot, a reboot from G1 and you still didn't like it and you won't like the new reboot if they make one.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Bay may not be the one responsible for writing the plots, but he certainly exercises control over what finally makes it to the screen. So he deserves a share of the blame.

That being said, I've been decidedly unimpressed by the writers Bay has hired to pen the movie scripts. Their lack of experience with TF material really shows. Someone deeply familiar with the mythos should handle scribing duties.

9. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

Producers also have a large role, one that people might not generally realize. Often, the producer is the originator of an idea, and he's in control of most facets of the film. They are often in charge of the style, tone and overall direction of the film. Remember, it was Don Murphy who was the originator behind the movie franchise, and had more G1-inspired ideas before the franchise evolved from there due to the overall input from everyone else.

Here's the development of the first film, as quoted from Wikipedia, to give you a run down of how it took place. I know it's a little lazy to grab it from Wikipedia, but it's a really good run down of how the film was shaped from it inception, and who influenced what changes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_(film)#Production

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. DECAB419

DECAB419 Member

I see so Michael Bay has some decisions on wha he can do to the movie, but in a sense its like a proof read. He can change certain things, however most if not all of it is made my the writers. And well his name is slapped on the product, so people just assume he's at fault. thanks for the intelligent replies i appreciate it =3

11. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I think the general idea is that the director or executive producer comes up with one or two sentences or a general idea which basically is what the plot or script needs to wrap itself around,

For example, movie 1 was about "a boy and his car" from Spielberg. Bay liked the idea and gave his input. And then after that, they hire writers to wrap a script and dialogue around that idea.

Just like for example, lets say that I am writing out the story for the Transformers reboot. I am essentially the person who comes up with the story, thus I would get a story credit. But the actual writers who write the dialogue are the writers I hire to get me a script. Just because I wrote the story doesn't mean I have anything to do with the writing of the script.

I remembering watching the Jet Li movie Kiss of the Dragon. The movie was written by Robert Mark Kamen but then they gave Jet Li a story credit in the opening titles of the movie.

It means that the foundation of the story came from him but he didn't write it.

In Transformers they don't need a person to give story credit to because it might've came from Michael Bay who is already the director or Ehren Kruger who is already the writer.

12. DECAB419

DECAB419 Member

Lol to some im sure the plot of these movies would make perfect sense if Bay wrote them. But somehow my instinct tells me he just couldn't make a plot as cohesive as these movies. I don't mean they are cohesive just he probably couldn't make a whole story fit well. Im sorry i can't really put it better. Point i still dont know why MAJORITY blame him from something he only has a little influence in. (the story..)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011