So where do you stand on Optimus Primal's fate at the end of Beast Machines?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Proud Nintendo, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

I mean, when I was a kid, I was very upset that Optimus died for good at the end of Beast Machines, even though I get what they were going for... Optimus kills himself and Megatron making Cybertron into a techno-organic paradise (and causing a sun to spring into existence as well)

I mean, it's such a great deal of finality.... but at the same time, was it really necessary. Did Optimus really have to die to make it happen?

2. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Beast Machines was going to have a sequel series that if I recall correctly would've brought the two back anyway? So yeah I guess it was unnecessary.

3. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime You shall not pass!

News Credits:
    It was the end.

So therefore-

it was the end.

It was a very good one, at that.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I had no problem with it. I thought it worked.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I believe he did. When Beast Machines started Primal set out on a new journey to discover just what the Oracle's true intentions were, and nearly died once before misunderstanding them. It became his destiny to recreate Cybertron as it was meant to be, and to achieve the balance that had been absent from the planet for eons. This balance included the struggle between good and evil, personified by the bitter conflict between him and Megatron. It would've lacked in that balance if Megatron was killed but Optimus wasn't, and it perfectly capped off what Primal had said during their battle about how all Transformers take their experiences and knowledge back to the Allspark when they die, and so too was Primal playing his part by completing that cycle with his own life experience.

It's bittersweet, but it's what he wanted, to see Cybertron free and balanced, and his death played an instrumental part in achieving that. It would've felt too campy if he survived, and his struggles would've seemed too... easy. Plus it meant Cheetor could rightfully take over not only as leader but as the conduit for the Oracle, completing the character arc of growth and responsibility started all the way back in Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 4
  6. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Since it was the end of the story, Optimus sacrificing himself was a good touch for a dramatic climax. However, he didn't die so much as give up his physical form to join the Allspark, which seems like something he could come back from if the story ended up continuing. It's certainly happened for other Optimuses (Optimi?) since then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I'm a Beast Machines fanboy so I'm a bit biased but I feel as though this was a perfect conclusion for the character. The journey he went on in the show would have felt a lot less satisfying had he survived his final confrontation with Megatron. Not to mention, I love his whole "Planting the seeds of the future" speech he gives to Megatron before falling down to the core. It really brought the show full circle.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Technically Optimus was only still alive because he had unfinished business, anyway. He had already died previously and was only able to come back because his connection to the Oracle allowed him the option to go back and finish his mission. Once his mission was complete, his connection to the Oracle was passed to Cheetor and Optimus was free to move on.

9. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Not exactly final though. He was brought back in the Botcon/OTFCC TF:Universe comics- Abduction - Transformers Wiki

10. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Yeah but if you count 3H's repaint-filled comics stories, practically everyone comes back at some point because comics writers apparently don't know how to let people stay dead. Nothing really special about it at that point.

• Like Like x 4
  11. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think it was Rattrap in that story that even comments on staying dead being more rare than coming back to life.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont want to be that guy.
    But beast machines had very schizophrenia on it's own.
    Then coupled with the fact it was supposed to be a direct continuation from BW but none of the characters acted the same.
    I'm sure any BM fan has heard all this before.
    The idea of the main hero giving up his life for a better future for everyone. Always a good plot point. That's why humans keep using it.
    But all of beastwars writing was bad.

The ending felt undeserved and kind of a let down.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    When I was an adult, I thought it was on ok ending to a not so good show. Bm on it's own might be different, but as a successor to BW I felt that it took away from it's ending.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Pretending like the H3 comics didn't take place, my own headcannon has Primal and Megs taking the plunge to reformat cybertron...except Megs is nobody's fool.

Fully aware that this was a possible outcome, he would have created a backup of his consciousness, stored on a remote server on one of cybertron's moons. At a date some time in the BM-verse future, the servers spool up and begin transmitting his code, albeit one line at a time, slowly taking control over reformatted cybertron's systems.

I like to think it was done by a cult, desciples or outcasts of the old regime, who are sick of being treated like second-class citizens.

Megs v. 3.0 gets a new body but things are different. Cybertron and its majority are different, so he has to revert to old Autobot philosophy to sew a new uprising. The cult sees him as a tool, keeping him on a leash for his crimes, but we all know Megatron will use this to his advantage later.

Oracle goes berserk, Cheetor is older now, doesn't trust his visions with the same clarity, he sees the world through more grays ghan absolute black or white. Seeks help from an old colleague...

...Rattrap has traded in his explosives for a trowell, with which he leads his team of young explorers deeper and deeper into cybertron's chewy center, where they find the fossilized remains of O. primal.

Through some technorganic science witchery the remaining members of the ol' gang bring back the old ape, who senses the imbalance. But the process is illbegotten as megatron's memories and biases were merged with primal, making him a really nasty ape when he's angry. Spends more time fighting his demons than sniffing out megatron's doppelganger.

This all to say that a drink once stirred cannot be unmixed again. The originals had their logical end, and these new vessels are a shadow...a darker shade...of how they were once remembered.

15. Barricade fan 9000

Barricade fan 9000 Banned

I hate beast machines! The maximals look SOOO UGLY and nasty! Beast wars is WAAAAY better. Only the vehicon decepticons in the show looked cool! And why did cybertron became a lame jungle at the end! Strika and obsidien should have won!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Wow this post takes me right back to the early 2000s.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

That's exactly why it worked. Because it was an ending. It was the Endgame of the Beast Transformers universe.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    From what I remember, Transtech was gonna have G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron return, not their Beast counterparts.

19. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, I felt the finale was perfect. It was an excellent send-off for Primal and BW/BM Megs. I also loved the fact that in a way, Primal was fighting himself due to Megatron using the Optimal Optimus body.

• Like Like x 3