So where DID gender go?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GWolfv2, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Faizan

Faizan 2 of 12

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that it has something to do with the TF religion. With the recent reveal of the "Mistress of Flame" (which pretty much acknowledges that genders do exist) , an explanation could be that the followers of Solus Prime (thanks Aligned continuity -.-) purposely modified their CNA to what they believe is a homage to Solus by some ritual.

Prior to having the aligned continuity being shoved down our throat, you can see that every discussion of religion in the comics centered around the guiding hand. Dai Atlas, Star Saber, The Functionisits, Cyclonus all have a certain view about the TF Mythos.

It may very well be that with the expulsion of the primes, various sects or offshoots of the same religion fled/died and the ones who were left propagated the dominant narrative which is why the bots that currently exist in the IDWverse can unconsciously identify the changes to the "CNA" and thus use different terms for Wingblade/Arcee etc and different terms for Sludge/Rodimus etc. However since they haven't been taught otherwise and the knowledge is so far gone (information creep ba-dum-tss), they believe cybertronians have no gender

However the reason why i think this discussion is a little flawed is because the writers of the IDWverse keep changing their stance on the issue. I remember reading an earlier thread where people had mentioned seeing billboards of cybertronians who did look female in nature and spotlight Bluur also had a few of them.

My point is the reason why the transformers had genders, then didn't have genders and now have genders again is simply because the various writers all had different stances on this issue =p.

2. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Now THERE'S an interesting idea

Also, off the top of my head, feminine cybertronians show up in Megatron: Origins (pre-Arcee), SPL: Blurr, Drift issue 1...suuure there's another somewhere....one or two of the crowd scenes in RID? And of course, the Rung cosplayer in the functionist timeline.

3. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually suspect the modified CNA is not accurate in Windblade or the other Camiens it happen naturally. In Arcee and those like her on Cybertron the CNA is female though not expressed. The Camiens it is expressed and it is the dominant gene and Cybertron it is a passive gene.

4. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Which is EXACTLY what I'm suggesting. One entire sex was wiped out, leaving behind a single-sex population. The population forgets about gender, and when gender is introduced (or, more accurately, re-introduced), they get the basic idea WRONG, assuming that the "new" females are somehow a) genetically sex-distinct and b) unusual, when in fact they're all just different phenotypes of the same autosomal population; any putative male sexual component of their genome-analogue is so long extinct that they don't even know how to take it into account. They're a single-sex population, robotically functioning at being what they THINK is "maleness", based on incomplete and improperly applied data.

Yes, there's something different about Arcee, and the Camiens, and we (like the characters themselves) assume that it's because of an underlying difference in multiple sexes. My point is, it might just as easily be similar to the difference in humans between an XX individual and an X or trisomy-X individual: noticeably different, but ultimately none of them are male.

And again, the instinctive use of different pronouns doesn't provide any confirmation that a) their alien genome either allows for (or, for that matter, is limited to) a binary scheme and b) the two terms actually translate to "him" and "her" as we understand it; they could just as easily be analogous to "her" and "hur".

Back to my point: most people instinctively apply male-female dichotomy to this gender question because that's what we're used to. Science fiction (and proper application of modern genetic understanding) offers so many more nuances and possibilities.

5. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I was reading a good paper on this the other day.

Personally, I would like Transformers to be sexless/biologically genderless, but I like them being gendered/adopting gender IDs (or not, if they so wish). I would find that far more interesting in so many ways (including the avoidance of real world baggage biology brings).

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Great Ideas Guys. :thumb 

In Bolded is the legit reason.

7. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    Just as an addition to this, remember their holoforms are supposed to represent them and all that, Sunstreaker uses a hot blond as his, Magnus uses a female, Verity, and Whirl also uses a female.

Personally, I like the idea that they are genderless over gendered. But this is now the canon. I do like some of the theories in this thread a lot. The whole Arcee gender reassignment thing throws a monkey wrench into things as does there being male Camiens, but in fixing these gaps between the various writers there are some interesting ideas going on here.