So what got you into the brand??

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by primematrix1986, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Saw Beast Wars Megatron & Primal at a store and omg'ed. They made me remember the 80's so I bought them.

That streak of nostalgia turned into a collective nightmare.

2. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was 8 in 1984.

If you were a boy in the US who was 8 in 1984 you didn't have very good odds of not being super into Transformers.

-ZacWilliam, But I think it was a combo of the Dinobots and Omega Supreme in 1985 and the Smelting Pool issues of the Comic that made me a fan for life...

3. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    I really liked die-cast cars, and in summer of 1984 I was about to buy a black Toyota Luv pickup truck, when the clerk at Kay-Bee showed me Trailbraker and Bluestreak. I bought them with my paper-route money and then I became obsessed with all things transforming.

About a year later my parents had a client in Hartford CT on Washington St, there was a HUGE Asian Restaurant Supply Store, they were also a grocery store. That store sold all kinds of imported candy and Asian toys. I bought Diaclone Cassetteman and Diaclone Ultra Magnus and the Seekers for 5 bucks each brand new!

I wasn't thinking of collecting them,but I really didn't want to get rid of them as I absolutely loved transforming robots toys so I put all my childhood TFs, PLEX, Gobots, Robotechs into a giant chest that got ruined when our storage area flooded when I was 15.

The funny part is other kids called my Diaclones "ghetto" and "knock off", today they would have been considered far more valuable than TFs...

4. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    My older brother had a couple of figures from G2 and we both watched Armada on Cartoon Network when it aired.

5. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Back in the mid eighties I liked robots and had a gobot or two and some other shape-shifting robot toy so I was destined to like transformers before I knew about it. Then I happend upon the second half of the G1 episode 'S.O.S Dinobots' on the telly (probably in 1985). It was love at first sight.

6. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The commercials. Especially the half hour long ones.

7. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

Gobots, being 5, and hateing girley things.

8. SureShotSniper

SureShotSniper What?!

News Credits:
    When I was a kid in the 80s, being a kid in the 80s. What got me into collecting was armada wheeljack... I picked him up and then thought "hey, he's cool... what others would i like"...

9. CKSpawn

CKSpawn 666 The Beastformer

I was so young I can't remember my mom said I was transforming transformers before I was even old enough to walk then I was out on ninja turtles then back to transformers by five I had every repaint and original back into turtles so mom threw all my transformers out or sold them by 7 I was back into them by 9 I got rid of all my transformers then Power Rangers
    by thirteen Beast Wars came out I was hooked and kept being off and on with the fade and armada came out I was hooked again and havn't stopped since

10. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    (I started when I was 6-7, thanks to the CITV channel showing Energon.) Cybertron Landmine, and the Legends series.

11. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

beast wars!

12. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

News Credits:
    Heh, this was my first tformers toy ever that change my life. Saw him in a Shoprite up in West Orange and I had to have him:D 
    [​IMG]

13. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

My parents had family friends with sons who were a few years older than me back in the mid 80's. I was into He-Man and then these older kids talked about Optimus Prime, Swoop and Tracks. I wanted to know what the older kids were talking about and by early 1985, I was hooked!

14. CKSpawn

CKSpawn 666 The Beastformer

I was born in 1984 and Transforming before I could walk

15. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast Wars.

16. AnegefalosGR

AnegefalosGR Elite Guard!

a G2 Megatron, a Fearswoop airplane, some G1 episodes but the breakthrough was BEAST WARS!!!. Oh man loved that series.

17. Reask

Reask Predacon

I was randomly flicking through TV until I came upon reruns of Beast Wars, but after watching it a bit I could figure out it was Beast Wars because I used to own a Terrorsaur toy, it was a really rubbish toy that broke easily but I knew what it was. After a year or so of watching it, I found out about Transformers Armada later and thought, there's more of this? I never saw the cartoon as a kid aside from the first three episodes but I did get Unicron and a lot of Mini-Cons. Also got RID Optimus and Megatron cause they were still selling at the same time, wish I still had them.

18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader Optimus Prime.

I had just seen the movie and I hated it, but that figure was looked awesome and once I bought it there was no going back.

19. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I have a long story compared to most of ya'll....

So, in 1984 I was between 5 and 6, my neighbors had all the Dinobots and several kids around the neighborhood had TF's... then I turned 6 maybe 7 I got Optimus Prime and Jazz for my first transformers.. then Devastator and I remember breaking my brothers Starscream trying to get the arms in/out. Anyways.... I loved them until I forgot about them.. I still remember crying when finding out Optimus died in the movie..

Then when I was 17, my senior year in highschool around 97, my brother brought home Beast Wars Polar Claw. We got into an argument, because he wasn't a Transformer, he was a knock off and get that shit out of my face... Then my brother did the unthinkable... he showed me the Beast Wars show.. unfortunately all reruns but, I got to watch almost all of them before school each day.. and I was hooked, kinda...

Move forward about 2 years (99) and I was out of school, living on my own, and selling lots of weed and doing lots of LSD. I'm not sure which one it was, the LSD or the Pot but between the two of them I started searching TRU/Walmart/KB Toys/Target ect, for all the ORIGINAL Beast Wars figures and found out they were no longer selling them only the Transmetal (1/2). Between 99 and 2001 I picked up just about everything I could.. I loved Beast Wars and RiD but, Unicron Trilogies, Beast Machines, Alternators ruined it for me. I hated all of them and stopped collecting all together.. I did pick a 10th anniversary Tarantulas at one point...

Then 2007 came around, and I watched the movie and it was awesome.. but, I didn't like the toys, they were weak.. Then ROTF came out and I bought Voyager Optimus Prime... Then I saw Mixmaster and wanted it soo bad but, I was out of a job and out of money. By the time that I got the money, ROTF was out of stores and DOTM was in so I ended up getting Barricade and nothing after that, until.. I saw Sentinal Prime and Ultra Optimus Prime and informed the (now) ex-wifey that I wanted it.. That Christmas, I got both of them from my kids.. Yeah me!

The next week, I found ROTF Mixmaster on Craigslist for $20 and it was on.. that was Christmas of 2010... The majority of what i've bought since then can be found on my collections thread.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Peer pressure, hookers and blow.

Now I'm an addict.