so, what ever happened to xovergen animated optimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

so I was just googling some animated season 4 stuff when I came across this little gem

[​IMG]

so what ever happened to it? it looks fantastic so far so what did xovergen give up on the thing?

2. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Anything concerning animated is widely believed to be a very niche (and thus financially risky) market still by most companies so the project was either canceled due to a lack of funds/perceived interest or simply shelved until they think their is a bigger interest. Or maybe it just ended up too difficult or too costly to produce in the numbers they want to, has happened to many a project I'm sure.

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    man i still want thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat D;

4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Ya I'd definitely still buy that, I would prefer the powermaster armor from the almanac though.

Also, I dont see the point in continuing to use the toys original axe/ trailer thing.

5. XenoTK

XenoTK Reachout and Touch Face

Another gray prototype of an Animated figure that people still want, but will probably never get released? What are the chances? :rolleyes: 

But still, even if that or anything like it never actually gets released, some day someone really needs to get around to making a hunk of plastic that turns one of the Optimus figures we got into his firetruck mode... Because as fun as it is to think about trailer/battle platforms and Powermaster upgrades never getting an Animated OP that turns into his full alt mode from the show was kind of a glaring oversight on Hasbro's part.

6. Pavol Palat

Pavol Palat Palatinus

News Credits:
    I'd buy that instantly. I always have second thoughts about 3rd party stuff, but not with this one.

7. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    My word, that's a big chopper!

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wasn't an oversight. They were going to make a toy, but it got cancelled due to Animated's premature ending.

9. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Hate to make it even worse for you guys but I wonder if you've seen the design illustrations they posted of this:

[​IMG]

I'd love to see them release this awesome thing as well as I still have all my animated figures, voyager op included but like I said previously seems companies are just too afraid to release animated products.

Maybe though if Xovergens next trailerforce sells really well; their godbomber that can work on their own PM prime mold or MP10 they'll return to this.

10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Those are Hasbro's design images, not Xovergen's. From the second Allspark Almanac, IIRC.

11. XenoTK

Powermaster Trailer =/= The firetruck mode that Optimus had since the first episode of the cartoon

Hasbro made a lot of transforming Optimus Prime figures during Animated's run, most of whom turn into some version of the same truck cab design. Are you really saying they had zero opportunities to make a back-half of his alt mode before the line ended? Because it seems a bit disingenuous to me to claim that the cancelled Powermaster Prime figure was their first and only opportunity to make a full firetruck Prime in the Animated toyline...
    Those images are definitely from Allspark Almanac #2, also I believe the Robot Mode upgrade for Xovergen's version looked more like the Wingblade jetpack... Which is disappointing, but it makes sense since it was the Optimus upgrade that was actually in the show.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    There was no point in doing the full firetruck until there was some gimmick that justified its existence. Hasbro probably didn't want to bother with it if it was just going to form some junky base mode that would never be used in the show.

The Powermaster Armor would have been a much better excuse to get it made, but unfortunately, the abrupt change of plans as a result of The Hub development ended Animated before it could happen.

13. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think I even knew about this one. Looks great, a crying shame that animated keeps getting passed over.
    Let's hope the toon titans do better then expected.

14. XenoTK

Well it's true that the Powermaster version was the first good opportunity for them to commit Optimus' firetruck trailer to plastic, but it's not like Hasbro never added toy features that affected a character's arsenal in the show (IE Lugnut's mace weapon/Soundwave's Laserbeak guitar). So if Hasbro designed a gimmick that justified recreating the full firetruck mode in figure form, it's not unreasonable to assume whatever base mode/weapon built into that toy would have probably been featured in the show someday (Given they had enough time before it was cancelled that is).

I mean all I'm really is that it was odd that Hasbro never got around to that given that it was something featured in the first episode of the cartoon and even some promotional stuff. Surely they had enough time to think about how to implement that before they said, "A truck cab with some stuff hanging off the back is good enough,"

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    That's what Xovergen should have worked on instead of their half-assed PM trailer.

16. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I think this pretty much sums it up. We've already seen an(alleged of course) former third party employee say this exact thing so it makes sense.

17. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

I'd buy it in an instant!

18. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

You are dead on about that. That thing is one of the biggest collecting disappointments/regrets I've ever had. And I know you told you me so. :) 
    I was happy to sell it.

19. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Yes, I would buy this instantly too. Every so often I would bug them on facebook about it with no response. :( 

20. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really want that ! :drool: