So what did everyone think of the Cyberverse footage?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by TheSoundwave, Jul 19, 2018.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I am so excited for this series! I don't have a TV though, so I hope the website has torrents like with Prime and RID.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also I am personally a fan of Megatron Lenin.

Decepticons propaganda is the best.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

The character models seem pretty similar like they all share the same base model. Not sure about that. I don’t mind the aesthetic but it feels like we’ve been getting this same animated look for awhile now.

4. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the concept of bee memories as this cool globe of screen interface is a fun concept that I really like

also, of course all the main bots on stage are the stars of IDW

• Like Like x 1
  5. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    I don’t like it. Energon didn’t work with cel shading, neither did RID. This is no different

Don’t like it. Cel shading looks almost as bad as RID.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2018
  6. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    Is it me, or the designs have degraded.
    Thank you for the video, though, the second one is closed.

7. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

It looks ok.

8. Blue18

Blue18 Well-Known Member

I do not like the design. Why is Hasbro blocking a preview video? Can someone upload it please?

9. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I like it. Animation is very similar to Robots in Disguise, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It seems this show will be living up to my hopes of introducing new viewers to the Autobot/Decepticon war and the various characters in the Transformers universe through the eyes of Bumblebee. I'm optimistic that this series will be a little more focused on action and take itself a little more seriously than Robots in Disguise (I enjoyed the series, but it suffered from playing it too safe at times), though admittedly this is one clip and the opening theme.

I am slightly irked at Hasbro's reluctance to have another series use the full Transformers theme. It isn't as bad as Robots in Disguise's repetitious theme, given it's just one lyric at the end, but I worry this may also become grating after a while. Either use the full theme like Animated or try something different like Prime. Using the same tagline again and again has literally only worked with Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the intro was bland, but serviceable.

I thought VAs were fine from what we heard.

I liked when the Deceptibrand slowly emerged from the stage.

But other than that, it’s still too early to tell.

11. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

As always, this is my opinionated opinion.

The animation style is not my cup of tea but Animated taught me that I won't mind as long as I like the rest of the show so if the writing's anything good then I'll come around.

Transformers: Cyberverse First Look

I like the music. It feels like an action theme and I really love the beginning and end of it. What I don't like is the other part of the intro: the visuals.

While you can do an intro that's a mixture of different styles, this one doesn't feel right. It's like the different elements were cobbled together. You might say that's appropriate given the premise of the show but it feels less like disjointed memories and more like they had a bunch of segments from other intros they considered that they used in the final version.

For example, the floating hexagons with the character portraits. It doesn't feel like it fits with the rest and so it's kind of like a visual break to the momentum, if that makes any sense.

I also don't think the use of still animation works with this kind of fast music. The first quarter is fine. It still looks dynamic and matches with the music but take the second scene where Windblade, Bumblebee and Optimus Prime are lining up. It doesn't feel as dynamic.

To summarize: the music is good and action-y. Me likey. The visuals feel disjointed instead of stylish. Me not likey.

Transformers: Cyberverse Megatron

The animation feel fluid and it leaves me curious to see what kind of action scenes we might get especially with this cast of characters. I've already said my thoughts about the animation style in the beginning of my post.

I like the voice acting and the clip leaves me interested in seeing their take on Megatron. I'm always a fan of the more intellectual Megatron so if that's what they're going for then I'm all for it. I also like that we may be seeing more of the war's beginning through Bumblebee's memories. At least, that's my hope.

12. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Opinionated Opinion Time

So I know that there was a thread specifically about the character designs for Cyberverse but it's a bit old by now and I wasn't whether it'd count as necro'ing to post my thoughts there so I'm posting them here instead since this seems to be the current Cyberverse thread.

Cyberverse Character Designs (Autobots)

Optimus Prime: It's the standard design but done in the Cyberverse style and I don't have any problem with it. It's not something new but it's not something bad either. I feel there's a bit of an interesting visual "discrepancy" between how young Optimus looks without his mask and how old he looks with it. Without the mask, he has a face that looks like it'd be very expressive - vulnerable because of that - and gives him a more casual air. With the mask, he looks like a wise and powerful leader.

I kind of wish Optimus looked a bit older since he looks more Bumblebee's "age" than he does Megatron's and I don't think he's supposed to be that young. It's not bad as it is, though, and depending on how they use Optimus' character, I could easily see it being utilized excellently to visually indicate something about leadership and Optimus' life.

I really like his smoke stacks.

Bumblebee: I don't have much to say about it. I've never been particularly fond of Bumblebee's various designs but I think that's less to do with the designs and more to do with me just never having much of an interest in him as a character. I think Bumblebee in RID was the only time I ever really liked the guy. Most of the time, I'm just indifferent and sometimes, I dislike him.

Anyway, he looks expressive, he looks kid-friendly and he looks bright and colorful so he looks like Bumblebee probably should look although he also looks like he's going to be in serious debt by the end of the series because of the amount of glass he had to have replaced after each battle.

Windblade: Ohhh, that's a face and uh, not one I like looking at. I think it's the mouth area. It reminds me of a ventriloquist's dummy because of the lines. I'd also can't help but notice that her face looks rather busy in comparison to the rest of her body and some parts of it like her eyebrows and nose look a bit too jagged. The busybody details don't bother me as much as the latter thing does although the gold thingie on her nose is going to bug me.

Grimlock: I love, love, love that he has spikey things on and around his hands. It was always one of my favorite parts about his G1 design. In general, I like how spikey he looks. It's a good look. It suits him.

It's a bit hard to tell from the profile but it looks like his body is proportionately bulky. What I mean by that is that his legs and arms don't look too thin, his chest doesn't look like a block and he has an actual waist. It's not something I usually worry about - Grimlock's designs tends to always look pretty tight - but it was something that always bothered me with PoP Grimlock and to an extent, FoC Grimlock.

Now to address the dinosaur in the room. Both of them.

I don't think the absence of the visor and mask ruins the design but it does detract from it, in my opinion. It's not a case of nostalgia as much as it is simply because I think he looks better with them. It's also something makes him stand out more and makes his design feel more unique. It also just plain looks awesome. It doesn't help that the toy version of Cyberverse Grimlock seems to be sporting the mouthplate and visor and looks all the more awesome for it.

So as to avoid confusion, I don't mind that he has a mouth or optics. I just would have preferred that the visor and battlemask were his default look instead of something he seems to only use in battle. As for the face itself, I actually like it. He looks old - older than Optimus actually - and I think that suits him.

Hot Rod: I have nothing bad to say. His design looks good if a bit angular and a bit sparse on decals.

Prowl: He looks like he had one too many energon donuts (Obligatory cop joke because I'm not terribly creative) but otherwise it looks good. I thought the lilac instead of just plain grey on some of his detail work might bother me but it surprisingly doesn't. It works since he's a more dull white and bluish black instead of bright white and dark black. The addition of gold on his crotch would look out of place but the officer emblem on his shoulder prevents it from looking out of place. The same with the red on his crotch triangle.

Ratchet: He looks like the best of G1 Ratchet and Animated Ratchet combined and by the best of G1 Ratchet, I mean his colors because love him as I might, I never thought G1 Ratchet looked all that good (the block of a chest combined with a round, small-looking head never gelled well in my eyes).

I only have two real complaints. One is the mirrors on his shoulders and the other is that hands and some of his detail work sport a grey pink-like color. I think it would have been better if they had the same grey color as the rest of his detail work and face does.

Other than that, good design. He looks like a grouchy old man that wants the kids off to stay off his lawn and also to stay safe.

Wheeljack: Second to Grimlock in terms of "controversial" design choices, we have Wheeljack and I didn't like it at first. I really didn't like it but the more I look at it, the less I mind the absence of a mouthplate. I would have preferred that his design included it but I have more of a problem with the strange Pharaoh's false beard that he's sporting. It stands out and not in a good way, in my opinion. To be fair, it's entirely possible that it doesn't stick out of his face and it's just the angle playing tricks on my eyes. I also think his waist looks too thin and not wide and big enough to support his chest but again, it may just be the angle.

Other than that, his design looks good. He looks jovial and still a bit like a scientist or doctor and that's a plus in my book.

Blurr: His design is a bit too bulky for my liking. I think a thin and more sleek designs works better for a speedster like Blurr. I also don't like the way he looks bulky: his shoulders look too big, his chest looks too big, his thighs look too big but once again, I can't rule out that it may just be an unfortunate angle. It doesn't look like it, though.

Loving his colors. Amused that he looks older than Optimus.

Cyberverse Character Designs (Decepticons)

Megatron: There's something about his design that I can't quite put my finger on and it's not the eyes on his crotch. I think it may be that his helmet looks a bit too small. I don't know, it could be because it's been a while since I've seen Megatron with a simpler helmet that uses only one color and is completely undetailed. It could also be because his lower half starting near his waist looks more colorful and detailed as oppose to his top half. It could also be because the G1 version of Megatron had additional lines on his face thus making him look older. He also had a longer nose and bigger eyebrows. Basically, visual dissonance may be in play.

Regardless, I do like the design. It looks strangely new despite clearly heralding back to the days of G1 but as I've mentioned above, he lacks some of the details that G1 Megatron had so that makes sense. He looks young but still older than Optimus.

My only other problem is the white outline on his hand. It doesn't go with the rest of his design and makes his hand look blocky and straight out of old-school CGI.

Starscream: I have no real complaint about this design other than the two fan-like additions to the top of his helmet. They look like ears to me and weirdly enough, I find I wouldn't mind them so much if it they looked more like cat ears.

He looks young, he looks self-confident, he looks mischievous and he's sporting that good old red, blue, white and black color scheme. I would have liked it if he had a grey "skintone" instead of a bluish white one but that's down to preference and is not a criticism.

Shockwave: His design is sporting a lot of detail but it looks spaced out enough that it doesn't feel too busy. Love the look of his arm gun. My only real criticism is Shockwave Jr. on top of his head. It resembles his face too closely and just doesn't work in my opinion. I don't know which face to look at!

Soundwave: Hooooboy. Soundwave's design is basically the anthesis of Shockwave's. There's just too much going on in the detail department and it just looks like a big clutter because of that and the lack of space on his body. You have the wavelength screens on his shoulder with the lamp-like thing on his left and the cannon on the right. You have the yellow stripes on his side. You have the two big things and red stripe on his arms and legs and more things on his knees. It's just too much.

And then there's his face. The optical glare is supposed to look menacing but it feels so exaggerated that it ends up looking too silly. the helmet protrusions don't help because they remind me of Mickey Mouse ears and now that's stuck in my head.

I'm sorry but his design is too busy and too silly in my opinion. I think it's bad and it's the only design of the bunch that I can't stand looking at which is a shame because Soundwave has always been my all-time favorite Decepticon.

Acid Rain: It's interesting that they're including Thundercracker but are leaving out Skywarp in favor of a rather obscure seeker. Maybe he was just too difficult to work with? It's funny because Acid Rain's face looks like it'd be perfect for Skywarp. I wonder what prompted this decision.

Anyway, I like the colors. This shade of purple, green and yellow work well together although the stripes on his thighs remind me vaguely of clown pants so maybe not the best choice but otherwise, it's all good.

Shadow Striker: Does she remind you of a spider? She reminds me of a spider. It's the helmet and monocle and I like it. What I don't like is the rest of her. It doesn't fit with her face. I know it's her vehicular alt mode but I think she'd have been better served with a different one like maybe a helicopter. It also looks too sparse in terms of detail. Her chin also reminds me of a bearded lady. I blame Acid Rain's clown pants.

Slipstream: I have no complaint. She looks really good although she seems to be sporting the same kind of clown pants as Acid Rain albeit in a different color.

Thundercracker: Not much to say here either. He looks good and blue. I would have liked more details in red like for example, red outlines on his chest to bring the design together since he has red details on his chest, legs and wings (and possibly arms as well). The other seekers lack detail work but their color scheme incorporates more colors. For example, Slipstream has four or more so it's less noticeable.

Now it may be a deliberate choice and be intended to indicate that he's less flashy than his comrades, that he's a simpler guy or that he's a morose fellow.

Still, it's a good design and something I really like about the seekers is that although they look like they share the same or a similar mold, they still look visually distinctive. Individuals. I especially love how each have a face that is unique to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Transformers Database

Transformers Database Ramdeen Studios

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):

• Like Like x 4
  14. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Transformers Cyberverse - Windblade & Bumblebee Battle a Seeker

• Windblade still looks like a ventriloquist's dummy to me. It feels even more egregious because nobody else seems to have that look.

• I really like Thundercracker's look and the lighting actually corrects a minor problem I had with his design: the lack of chest details. The lighting adds a light blue as well as a darker blue, both of which look good on him.

• Okay, I found Windblade and Thundercracker's Scowl-Off amusing. Shame we didn't get to hear his voice.

• Oh, so Bumblebee is back to using audio clips instead of having an actual voice? That's... going to get old real fast for me especially seeing as he's seems to be the main focus of the series. It's a gimmick I think works best in moderation.

• Fighting looks decent. I don't want to judge it before I see more of it, though.

The series still look promising to me although depending on how much the fourth point features, it might be a show where I skip past certain parts of it. Specifically, the non-plot related portions of Bumblebee's parts.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SimbaTron

SimbaTron Transformers & Gundam

News Credits:
    beat me to it

• Like Like x 1
  16. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What kind of garbage animation is this?!:wtf: 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Transformers Database

Transformers Database Ramdeen Studios

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sorry man XD

• Like Like x 1
  18. User_120125

User_120125 Well-Known Member

Personally, I really liked it so much better when Bumblebee was actually talking during that very last "Transformers Prime" episode "Deadlock", the movie "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters - Predacons Rising", and "Transformers Robots In Disguise 2015".

• Like Like x 2
  19. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    I like the animation from polygon pictures

20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

All I can think about is that scene with Megatron apperently forming the Decepticons for the first time and the confusion about the fact that Optimus was standing behind him and Bumblebee was in the crowd cheering him on. I believe there were a few other Autobots in the crowd as well but I haven't bothered to go threw pausing the video every few seconds to identify every character who was in that crowd. I'm too confused by Optimus and Bumblebee being there supporting the future tyrant who they're going to be fighting for four million plus years.

Yet at the same time I'm also kind of excited to see a younger version of Megatron who hasn't done all those evil things yet. It's like what they've done with Optimus in a few other shows already but never with Megatron till now. I've always wanted to see a younger version of Megatron and how he got to be the leader of the Decepticons. Looks like this series is finally going to do just that. Though by the premises of the show it's all being done by a series of flash backs from Bumblebee's perspective.

• Like Like x 2