So what are our chances of a 3rd Party City Bot?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Crimson87, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

I've been wondering this for awhile. Our market seems to be willing to throw down a lot of money on 3rd party toys... especially combiners.

But these have the ease of buying one or two pieces at a time stretching out the payment for the whole combiner.

City bots would just be leader size figs done all at once... a pain for the wallet... but seriously most people eventually buy the whole set anyways. So i do see a lot of potential here.

Who wouldn't want/pay for a classics Omega Supreme, Metroplex, Trypticon, Fortress Maximus, or Scorpinok if it cost as much as a combiner team overall?

Knowing there's some form of market. What are the chance an existing 3rd party or new 3rd party would make one of these 5? or maybe more including the Japanese bases.

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I don't think it'll happen, it's not worth it when you weigh up risk / reward.
    The more ambitious a project, the more money goes into funding it, and the more the cost rises for the consumer. The more the cost rises the more people pull out, leaving a company will a lot of money tied up in research and product, which they might not see back.

A single flaw in an already expensive citybot run could potentially bankrupt most 3P companies.

3. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

I doubt we'll see anything bigger than Cyclops for quite a while that's a single figure

Pretty much the only hope is hoping that the Overlord figure turns out good. Because if that does well despite all odds, others might look into making big stuff. Just about everyone's written it off though, so I wouldn't hold your breath for anything colossal

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It's certainly a possibility. You can't be too sure in this hobby. That's why you can never rule anything out. But if anything like that is presently in the pipeline, I wouldn't see it beyond the early concept stages

5. knobbycon

knobbycon logorrheic egghead

Maybe the could include component parts with other figures like those Marvel build a figures. Seems like a good way to ensure some revenue from crazy collectors.

6. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    The guys who made that Grand Patriot are apparently working on an Overlord.... or at least that's what I thought I read a while ago somewhere on TFW here.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I want a modern citybot compatible with Cyberverse toys with an helipad, a landing strip, a garage, hidden compartments, a repair bay, hidden guns, the whole shebang.

8. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    could see it happening one day just look what bts are planning with their nova lord and thats gonna be huge!!!!!!!! even though its bts and will prob be a pile of shite lol but the point is a 3rd party is planning something big so can't see why another 3rd party will not tackle a city former ...never say never!!!

9. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

The whole point of build-a-figs is they come with something else

While I'm sure there are people who would be excited to buy Metroplex's Left Leg, I think they're a limited audience to, say, people buying a full one the size of Cyclops

10. knobbycon

knobbycon logorrheic egghead

Reading: not just a town in Pennsylvania.

11. originaljk

originaljk Technobot

I wouldn't say its totally out of the question. There are a lot of people dropping almost $400 on Green Giant right now. That's all at once. And while you get 6 neat individual toys as well as an alt mode and full on Devastator combined mode it is still probably gunna sit on their shelves in one mode, that being gestalt mode. If they toy is made well enough, has a good class scale and is in the $400-500 range, I think you would get enough people to buy it. But something like these better be really strong and good quality or it'll also be the last. Id say start with Metroplex. Hasbro has the game coming out, I doubt they will make a toy of him and if someone was to release one maybe a year from now they just got a lot of free promotional material from the game.

12. Crown

Crown Omnibot

News Credits:
    Xovergen makers of Grand Patriot, are planning a Fort Max and Scorponok.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ssion/600869-xovergen-fort-max-scorponok.html

Overlord is being made by BTS toys, maker of Sonicron.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...tfcon-2012-third-party-panel-coverage-175610/

13. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, technically we have third party heads for Fort Max and Grand Max, just need the rest of the bodies!

Also, the Xovergen Grand Patriot has a base bode for the trailer. Technically a city? Or at least a building.

14. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    TBH, I think it all depends on how well the box sets for things like the Green Giant sell. There is a top ceiling price even 3rd Party collectors are willing to pay. I am putting that at $500, just off of gut feel.

So, if a 3rd Party company thinks they can make one and keep it in the $350-$500 price tag, then I think we can see one. I think even for 3rd Party collectors would be hard pressed to spend over $500.

I just don't want to see the threads talking about the scale.

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Steamboat SHockwave, Sixshot & Overlord prove they are willing to make larger leader size figures. Citybots would probably fall into that size class. I think Overloard is supreme size. However, if you are thinking Fort Max sized/massive, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

16. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I could see omega and over lord working (not nova lord as that is just awful looking) but as parts formers they could be sold in parts to spread the costs out and at the end as a box set.

17. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, there is that Energon Scorponok update coming from Headrobots. Has a city mode. It's just an add-on, not a full third party Transformer, but it's something!

Technically it's Black Zarak in city mode.

[​IMG]

I wonder if they could do something similar with Cybertron Metroplex.

18. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

So what I gather from most people is either NO, or COULD BE but someone has to test the waters first.

Well as for the test the waters first. I sincerely hope that BTS is not used as a example of whether people are willing to buy city bots. I'm biased here but I have the BTS prime trailer and Sonicron wasn't all that impressed. I've also heard of not so great things from the Grand Patriot.

(Opinion) These concepts to me sounded great in theory but were executed poorly. It actually has me worried about Power Master Prime and Overlord. Both of which I want a full sized version as much as a city bot and would pay out a lot for. IF they are decent quality fig that have that nice classics feel like what Igear, FansProject, MakeToys, or TFC usually produce. I've reached a point that if BTS or Sovereign release something I'm completely wait and see from here on rather than preorder. I do it for Igear as well but only due to the constant hangups in production (quality is still good)

It sounds to me like we would need a well known company to make them to prove the market. A project this big would also need some form of incentive or different form of buying plan as well. Like breaking a city bot into pieces that would come with smaller full sized figs. Maybe a Scamper and full leg or the white tank bot and Torso.... or a independent outpost playset with the arm. OR... some form of installment payment for the whole bot would need to be set up.

Definitely sounds like its possible. but we need a company with enough courage and experience to do it and do it right.

19. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it would be a tough sell to consumers. While Herc cost 500-600, it was really 6 $100 individual figures. I know the majority of people buying them bought all 6, I think its easier to justify the cost spread out of mutliple figures versus one $500 lump some figure. I think Cyclops is pushing the barrier for what Im willing to spend on 1 figure already.

20. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I would pay any ridiculous price for a Omega Supreme, Metroplex or Trypticon that can work with deluxe sized classics figures... just as long as iGear is not making them. I would like to have the figures before I am dead in about 40-50 years and I really don't think iGear can make that deadline.