so, tell me how the constructicons can be in two places at once?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bottom Out, Jun 24, 2009.

1. n10zguy

n10zguy Well-Known Member

No. It's a comparison of TF media from one year with TF media from another. Pull the stick out, step outside ever once in a while and get over your issues.

2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

repaints are fine, but when I can count 3 identical green longhauls (one in the atlantic ocean by the laurentian abyss and 2 in eygpt at the pyramids (one forms dev's leg, and the other runs around in robot mode) there are no excuses, but pure laziness.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. n10zguy

n10zguy Well-Known Member

And I think you are giving the 'general' audience far too much credit. Most of the people watching this that arent members of the fandom are not going to see Scavenger, Mixmaster, Long Haul, and Rampage getting their asses handed to them and think "Wait, arent they supposed to be the same robots that are part of that big one on the Pyramid?"

And did you notice that those 4 are the only ones that got Robot modes at all. I am sure the 'general' audience didnt either

4. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon (Retired)

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Exactly! Repaints don't bother me when they are ACTUALLY REPAINTS! It just made it too fricking confusing to see individual robots colored exactly the same as vehicles that made up the various parts of Devastator.

They could have easily recolored the various Long Hauls. They did not all have to be green. Same with Scavenger/Demolishor and Mixmaster/Dev's Head.

Anyone else also find the irony that Starsceam, who usually gets the most repaints, has yet to get one in the films yet? I found that rather humorous with all the Constructicon/Devastator and Movie 1 clones.

5. LongHaul

LongHaul Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see everyones point. But I think instead of having multiple"constucticons" running around they could have employed some other pieces. But on the flip side perhaps devastator in bays eyes is just on entity. We never see robot modes then combinations just vehicles then combo. Perhaps he is just megatrons big ass dog on a leash that got to run loose and used what was around him to transscan and emerge with constuction vehicles being in wrong place at right time? Just my take and it sounds good to me.

6. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really? You think film makers should be able to throw in whatever and just say "hell, no one will notice!!!!"

Nonsense. No matter what, your movie has to present a crystal clear picture of what the hell is going on - especially when it's fairly basic things like establishing a defined identity of the characters. Leaving such things vague is potentially confusing for the audience. That is not ok, even if it would slip by some.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  7. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

I for one don't see any huge issue. Remember, the Decepticons in this movie are an entire smegging army. It's not like the human military doesn't reuse the same vehicle multiple times, so why should a militaristic faction like the Decepticons have to be completely unique? They're not like the Autobots, who are more into individuality.

And regarding issues of characterisation, I think this movie did well in this regard with the amount of time it had for the plot. Supplementary material should exist to boost characterisation, but from what I've heard, the movie-based comics do a decent job of that.

Alternatively, to use another example: Pirates of the Caribbean. Most of the pirates in that movie had no noteworthy personalities, and were largely indistinguishable to the average viewer. Does anyone complain about that aspect?

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That thinking does work, but for me, unless it's what the film's narrative gives you, it's ineffective. I shouldn't have to justify things and make my own excuses after the fact. The movie should just work on it's own accord.

9. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And yet we wouldn't be having this discussion if the duplicates involved were jets using Starscream's build.

10. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

But the general audience won't care either way. To them Devastator will just be the one that's made of several vehicles and the notion of constructicons won't even reach them because the others are never named as such in the movie. They'll just think the 'cons like to be construction vehicles.

11. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

I think we can agree to disagree on this one. For me, militaristic attitudes (thus, identical alt-modes) just go hand in hand with the Decepticons. You like that little extra explanation. Fair enough.

Of course, it is possible that they originally planned to give some explanation, but let's face it - the movie was quite long already.

12. DinoTarant

DinoTarant Well-Known Member

It's not G1's fault the ******ed ROTF writers couldn't come up with something.

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got no problem with duplicates, they're all robots, if humans are so similar who's to say we won't see duplicates coming from their race? Plus people won't even care considering that the Devastator constructicons never show up in robot mode, they'll just figure that they're different robots all-around.

14. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Understand the complaint and the counter argument. This all could have been avoided if the used different colored models like they did with rampage

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they should've used more protoforms.

That protoform-guy with wings looked SICK!

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I wasn't seeing things! I recalled seeing Mixmaster fighting in 1 scene and yet I recall him combining. Oh well, I guess its one of those movie moments.

17. Agonize

Agonize Decepticon

Protoforms arrive.

They see already scanned Decepticons and take their form ( based on the size ). Therefore, you have duplicates because there isn't a truck near by. Hell, they could've used the Soundwave Scanning FOR them idea.

18. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You don't really need the movie to stop and explain the concept of "identical looking troops in an army" to you, do you? Did the Star Wars franchise never make sense to you until Episode II came out?

"Why is that guy in the plastic black and white armor all over the place!? What terrible editing!"

19. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well Grindor (Blackout copy), The Arcees, the Twins, a Bone Crusher should have given us a clue that there are duplicates or even clones.

Yeah pretty cliche given the TF franchise's perchance for generic troops.

20. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

this makes most sense, but it was never explained on screen. the writing on this movie was extremely bad. I was really disapointed, i loved the first movie, and i love this franchise, but this movie just had way to much going on and it got lost in itself

i think you are too, and the writers/whoever just used the multiple constructicon cop out as an excuse

x2. If they wanted devestator to be one identity make him one...change his colors up at the very least. all the seeker clones had thier own color schemes because its the ONLY way to distinguish between charcaters who look exactly the same. G1..a crappy 80s cartoon realized this, but ROTF - a modern day blockbuster who's writers/director are making hundreds of thousands of dollars didnt? no excuse for that

the starwars movie, and any other movie with a military didnt need to explain it becuase it showed thier troops on screen at the same time working as a unit. In the case of the constructicons, they are never seen on screen at the same time, and no explaination is given. The movie was written in a way where the audience had no reason to believe they were diff characters other than the fact they appeared in more places than once, if they were on screen at the same time thne maybe the hint would have been taken, but as it stands it looks like the movie was cut/edited wrong