So... Roberts = Rung = Primus? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TFTheoretician, Jan 24, 2019.

1. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    There is a distinction. Saying someone's opinion is stupid is one thing. That's absolutely acceptable.

Saying someone is stupid because of their opinion is not the same thing.

I see idiotic opinions on all sorts of things. I say that the opinions are stupid. What I don't do is say someone IS stupid because they hold an opinion that I disagree with. There is a distinction. On can create a dialogue. The other only serves to antagonize and cause bad blood.

The problem is Pluto tries to jump back and forth between calling a person dumb and calling their opinion dumb as a means to cover his obvious harassment of people whom he has a disagreement with.

• Like Like x 3
  2. pluto

pluto Banned

Ughhh can you not @ me? I mean by all means show me the kind of personal attack you’re wildly gesticulating at, and i shall show you a litany of screed from you. I’ve tried to taper this convo off as soon as you piped up cuz i know your low rent atticus finch act and i know it inevitably descends into you getting all het up and slinging shit. Its tired. Fuck off already.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  3. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Did... did you really just start a post with asking for proof of personal attacks and end it with a "fuck off already"?

• Like Like x 3
  4. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Holy shit that is his funniest post yet. He claims I also @ him when I absolutely didn't. lmao!

Hey Pluto. Do you just mean in this thread or can I pick them from the past few months? I think I can get a good ten of you insulting people if I pick them off of the entire site.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. pluto

pluto Banned

Yeah its almost as if its a colloquiallism expanded beyond the literal. But dont let me stand in the way of a good pile on.

6. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    There you go. I provided you with some solid evidence of you calling people names. You really don't see what you're doing? You do it all the time.

My favorite is when you called that one guy a pinhead.

My second favorite is when you implied a guy is a CHUD (look it up). You just can't help yourself.

Oh, and what's a synonym of obtuse? Is it stupid? I swear, obtuse is your favorite word.

You do it ALL THE TIME.

• Like Like x 3
  7. pluto

pluto Banned

You edited the post after i replied with half a dozen links that dont work?

8. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    There ya go.

You're calling people ignorant, Stupid, obtuse, chuds... and that's just a few very quickly picked posts.

You do it a lot.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  9. pluto

pluto Banned

So thats just this thread.

10. pluto

pluto Banned

I guess the real difference here is that i try to put effort into my burns.

11. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Sounds a lot like saying "I actively try to be malicious" but potato potato.

• Like Like x 5
  12. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @GoLion

@pluto

My dudes.

I’m going to preface this by saying that you’re both very handsome beasts and I’m sure that neither of your genitals are larger than the other persons and that both are equally gigantic. Nothing to prove here.

Can I perhaps request that you guys both take the debate on semantics around opinion and the personal attacks against each other to DM or just let it die? I don’t think that this has much to do with Rung, Primus, Roberts’ unrepentant and wildly out of control ego, or even Transformers anymore.

Yours eternally.

• Like Like x 4
  13. pluto

pluto Banned

No arguments here!

But pls tell me more about the contours of my junk, yr getting me all hot and bothered.

14. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    JusticeG is right. I'm done with this.

• Like Like x 2
  15. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't accept the idea that you can escape the need to explain and justify your position by prepending your statements with the magic phrase "in my opinion". "James Roberts is the Zodiac killer" could be someone's opinion, but it's still a statement about the facts of the world, and can and should be challenged as such, regardless of how tentatively it might be rephrased.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Uh... If you don't get the difference between your example and what actually happened here, then I don't know how to help you.

• Like Like x 4
  17. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Very blatant example of false equivalence, but it's just not worth it anymore. Everyone's been very clear with you over multiple posts and you're still misinterpreting to save face.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  18. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pluto's claim was that we should make a distinction between things that really are matters of opinion (my example would be, "Was MTMTE/LL a good comic, is James Roberts a good writer?", because that can only be answered by the exercise of aesthetic judgement, which is subjective) and things that are really matters of fact (my example would be, "Does James Roberts have stage 4 lung cancer?", because that's not a question of personal judgement, it's a question about the state of the world).

GoLion's counter claim is, no we shouldn't, because one dictionary defines "opinion" as a possibly completely unsubstantiated belief held without certainty, so if we are to continue to have "the right to our opinions" we must recognize that any attempt to criticize those opinions for being unsubstantiated is an attack on free thought itself.

I'm with pluto here. "It's just my opinion!" is not a useful or reasonable defense for a claim that isn't actually a matter of opinion, and there's nothing wrong with criticizing the reasoning behind such claims for being stupid. I also think that even when dealing with aesthetic judgements a person should actually exercise that judgement and explicate their reasoning behind it, rather than simply claiming that because it's subjective it's unnecessary or impossible to explain.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    You've again missed the point. If you honestly think "an author doing X looks egotistical to me" isn't an opinion, I don't know what to say. Call it stupid or ill-informed all you want. It's based entirely on my feelings, which makes it an opinion. Even @justiceg and @Focksbot who still disagree with me at least accept this distinction.

Again, give me all the shit you want. Just don't give it for the wrong reason. Call me out for lack of support of the opinion, but don't say it isn't an opinion because of that lack.

(Additionally, kind of ironic that according to you, I can't make a judgement on an action of Roberts, but you've somehow peered into my soul and decided for certain that what I said is supposed to be an attempt at a factual statement and that I didn't mean it as an opinion.)

• Like Like x 2
  20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Again, I don't have a problem with Pluto attacking issues. What I don't like it how he attacks people in threads simply for not having his opinion. There is a distinction.

The guy just can't help himself. He even attacked me AFTER I told him that my only problem with him is that he just attacks people in threads. Oh well.

I like you response. You are disagreeing with me, but you're giving reasons for said disagreement that don't just boil down to you insulting me for not sharing your opinion.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 4