So long Murder Prime, we hardly knew ya.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Lovecraft, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Memes are not a substitute for wit and decent arguments

• Like Like x 4
  2. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's been through a lot. That's all. He's fine in the 2007 movie, and in fact he wants to commit suicide with Megatron to end the war once and for all. A noble sacrifice. And then in ROTF, he's killed while fighting three Decepticons. And then he found out that his mentor betrays him all this time, and then he killed his mentor. And in AOE, he's been betrayed by humans. The only ones he promised not to hurt since the beginning. No wonder he becomes psychotic.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've watched a lot of war movies and I can't think of any of them where characters just totally change their personality the way Prime does. A character played by Tom Hanks doesn't go from the smart squad leader to Kylo Ren rage machine the moment a shot is fired.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hound89

I mean when he said "we will kill them all" it was right after a decpticon murdered fleeing civilians

He wasnt in combat nor was that response out of character, the decepticoms comitied a unforgivable atrocity.

Every thing else was just heat of the moment. Its not inconsitent to be wise and want peice but also to be merciless in combat especaily when the enemies are desrving of it

• Like Like x 1
  5. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Droop Snoot

News Credits:
    Yeah a lot happens in the 10 years the movie takes place, but remember the war itself had lasted for literally thousands of years before it made its way to earth. If prime’s morality and heroism was strong enough to last thousands of years of brutal war to remain in tact at the beginning of the first film, then how can he derail within an additional decade (practically a blink of an eye in terms of their existence)?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Hound89

because he just murdered a city full
    of innocent people!

Thata not inconsistent thats him realizing megatron is beyond redemptiom and being done with him, hell optimus even says theynare no longer brothers in TLK

Also megs meg peace offering was him shooting his mentor innthe back Because and i quote "I just want to be in charge again"

• Like Like x 4
  7. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fear of another world ending up like his own might have pushed him to such lengths.
    I always thought his
    "Your world must not share the same fate as Cybertron. Whole generations lost..."
    was the first sign.
    And him taking the last shard out of Megatron chest and firmly grasping it as some sort of vow to Protect Earth so that it would not share Cybertron's fate.

• Like Like x 3
  8. JimTheJIRRMan

News Credits:
    Yeah, but again this needs perspective. Prior to the first film Megatron was responsible for the legitomate genocide of the population of Cybertron and the destruction of the planet. Even then, prime didn’t want to kill Megatron, just to stop him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

Nothing you're saying makes any sense at all... in any other fandom, your arguments would literally be ignored for the incoherent mess that they are

I am shocked that we have 2 pages of threads with perfectly reasonable explanations for why you're wrong, and still, these wonderful people have patience for you to sit you down and explain it

Not everyone lives with this American war machine mindstate, where going berzerker is "justified" every now and then ... there is nothing heroic about it period, and in cinema, for a protagonist, it is even more inexcusable

So yes, the meme was my substitute for interacting with the childish musings of someone who has not yet learned the value of sentient life, which yes, transformers happen to be

• Like Like x 5
  10. Hound89

Yes and in context optimus makes it clear that he will not allow that to happen again.

Optimus dosent want to do any of this he has to, but by rotf when megatron comes baxk and muders him its clear he hast to go all out or history will just repeat

"You'll never stop at 1"

Again its not insconsitent its a sign of growth

• Like Like x 1
  11. JimTheJIRRMan

News Credits:

That brothers line at the end of TLK bothered me. It showed how fricken jaded and cynnical and bloodthirsty Optimus had become over the course of 4 films. Could you justify it logically? A bit, with some stretching, sure. But that’s when you have to say “is that how this character *should* be? Is that what we want our *heros* to represent? Jaded, angry, violent, cynnical soldiers at the other end of a war?”

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hound89

I have a value of sentient life

Those who would take a life for power deserves to be put down. And despite your moralizing most of the world agrees with this sentiment

• Like Like x 1
  13. 96megatron

News Credits:
    Yes it shows how war can affect people. And why it doesn't always end well.

14. JimTheJIRRMan

News Credits:
    Yeah, but would Optimus Prime, who again, in the first movie, was presented as an Optimistic and hopeful figure, who believed in the best of what the universe could be, feel that way? Hell, his name is even based on the word “Optimist” or “optimum!” I dunno.

Again, I enjoy most of the movies, and I enjoy Optimus in them, but the overall arc for him has been fundamentally flawed.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hound89

I know inwant my heroes to not trust genocidal monsters who have some stabbed the in the back bith metaphoricaly and litteraly, while standing in the ashes of innocent people they murdered.

And again you ignore that once again megatron was trying to kill innocent people, should optimus still consider him his brother?

• Like Like x 1
  16. JimTheJIRRMan

News Credits:
    Which would be fine, but again, it’s just odd to me how thousands and thousands of years of war, death, destruction, and portrayal before the films wouldn’t corrupt his morals, but a few years in earth would.

• Like Like x 2
  17. JimTheJIRRMan

News Credits:

The Optimus Prime of the first film wouldn’t straight up murder him in the situation. If Megatron offered the truce, if fighting stopped, Optimus would have him stand trial and face punishment without acting as judge, jury, and executioner.

Hell, even in the original screenplay for DOTM, when Megatron offered the truce he was more sincere and Optimus accepted rather than murdering him. In all of the official adaptations of the film that’s how the story ends. But because Michael probably wanted one last cool head-rip-Off shot, he changed the ending.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 96megatron

News Credits:
    Yoda: Careful you must be when sensing the future, Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. ... YODA: Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side because you become willing to do just about anything to prevent yourself from feeling that pain.
    Bruce Wayne: We're criminals, Alfred. We've always been criminals. Nothing's changed.
    Alfred: Oh, yes it has, sir. Everything's changed. Men fall from the sky, the gods hurl thunderbolts, innocents die. That's how it starts, sir. The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men... cruel.

The fear of a new home ending up like his old home consumed Optimus to take more extreme measures.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hound89

Being an optmist dosent mean you trust blindly, additonaly you cant claim to support freedom and justice if you allow evil to have its way.

20. Hound89

The original screen play is stupid

Serisously

Megatron ruins cybertron, tries to genocide the earth, 2 years later her murders chicago and optimus just lets him go.. not capture him like you even said just lets him walk way?

In what world is that good writing? It was changee because it was dumb and would only work in a cartoon

And yes optimus would of accepted a truce in the first film, then chicago happend.

Optimus declaring "we will kill them all" isnt just a one liner ita showing the final straw has been broken.