So... let´s boost the ranks of the Dinobots!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFTheoretician, Jul 13, 2014.

1. JohnMurdock

JohnMurdock Well-Known Member

Seismosaurus, Argentinosaurus, Supersaurus or Sauroposeidon as Titan class.
    Utahraptor like some already mentioned. Oh and Diplodocus with a whiptale!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This thread will do better in TF General Discussion since the focus is hypothetical character design.

3. dozer226

dozer226 Constructicon

Wow, some really awesome ideas!

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The problem with this (I find) is that unless the Dino mode is 'realistic' (ala Beast Wars Neo) there's only a few body forms that can actually be used to differentiate from each other.

When you 'mechanise' them like the original G1 Dinobots you really only have a few types that can actually stand out.

Ie, A lot of two legged big mouthed Dinos (Carnotaurus, Gigantoraptor, Ceratosaurus) all follow the Grimlock body form, so they're all redundant. Same with Sludge, he basically represents all Sauropods.

In other words, the original 5 Dinobots do a very good job representing Dinosaurs as a whole, of these new Dinobots only the Spinosaurus is new? So I'd really like to see Decepticon versions of these body types.

5. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

About your general point about "mechanization", I agree. But about there not being more species to explore than those already made, allow me to kindly disagree. While the classic Dinobots still represent the most iconic dinosaur species and sometimes represent a whole group of species, like sludge, there is still enough morphologial variation throughout the history of evolution to make more than five, six species, even in a highly stylistic manner. Basically all of the species I suggested have clear, morphological characteristics that set them apart, take a look at the pictures in the top post ;) 

Therizonosaurus - Who exactly in the Dinobots translate into this?
    Carnotaurus - Grimlock, with two huge horns in his face, and a shorter snout, just like Scorn can be said to be a Grimlock with a sailfin and longer snout
    Gigantoraptor - Nothing like it...
    Shonisaurus, Liopleurodon, Tylosaurus - Definitely new body forms!

For the rest, sure, they could be heavy retools of existing Dinobots, but they could also be made as separate characters, distinguished by their unique sets of spikes, shields, etc, however stylized. I guess its all a matter of how much you like dinosaurs?

6. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What!? You disagree with me? How dare you! ;) 

Nah, it's all good. I didn't make any suggestions for my Decepticon Dino Squad because I have a book I want to refer to first.

7. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    In general I agree, but there are a couple of iconic bodytypes missing. Ankylosaur and Hadrosaur (Duckbill) are the two glaring omissions (Granted we got Slapper, but he's, y'know, a wee bit, umm, rubbish) if you include Paddles covering the iconic Plesiosaurs. Get those two in and in broad strokes you've covered the iconic pantheon of Dinosaurs (and airborne and sea dwelling contemporaries)

Having said that, I still want a Therizinosaur, and a Pachy as well. Therizinosaurus is just crazy with those claws, and I've always loved the old boneheads. A Mosasaur would also be cool. Maybe an Ichthyosaur, although they don't look as cool with skin as just the skeleton (I always loved the ring of bones around the eye socket)

8. TFTheoretician

Again, to some degree you do have a point in the sense that dino modes drawing on other than the most iconic dinosaurs might only be viable in dino fan circles... But again, does Scorn mean that Spinosaurus is iconic now? I mean, it did beat up T-Rex in the cinematic masterpiece Jurassic Park III after all... ;) 

I look forward to your suggestions! :) 

9. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd say that Spinosaur was now an Iconic bodytype, yes. The sail, crocodilian head, and large forearms definitely make it stand out at first glance from the classic giant Therapod look to the general audience.

Whereas no matter how many lumps, prongs and horns you stick onto a skull, a Carnotaurus, or a Ceratosaurus, or even Dilophosaurus (Pre-Spielberg and his frill of course) isn't massively different to the layman's eye than an Allosaurus or Gigantosaurus, and T-Rex is just the poster-saur for that group.

10. TFTheoretician

I think Carnotaurus stands out pretty well, possibly Dilophosaurus, too, but as for the others I agree. The fact is, some people probably don´t care even whether "T-Rex" has a giant sail on its back or not...

11. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

A Therizinosaur Dinobot would be a wonderful thing indeed.

12. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Okies, I would like to see Dinobots of (and google image search will be your friend here)

Trilobite,
    Always fascinated by these things, and they practically look like products of Michael Bays fevered imagination already.

Diplocaulus,
    Because the boomerang head really is distinctive from every other dinosaur.

Ankylosaurus,
    He's been mentioned before by lots of people, and he's a great walking tank analogy.

Tylosaurus
    Everyone goes for the Plesiosaur as a water bound Dinosaur, but look up Tylosaurus instead! Like a cross between a whale and a crocodile with paddles instead of feet!

And if we disregard sizes for my Dinocons...

Megalosaurus instead of Grimlock. Basically an evil(er) version of a lizard hipped dinosaur.

Syracosaurus instead of Slag. Is there a cooler looking dinosaur than a Triceratops? Apparently so...

Edaphosaurus instead of Snarl, it's either this guy or a Dimetrodon, just for their four legs and sail. Edaphosaurus looks physically impressive but sometimes looks fat. The other problem is these two are relatively small compared to the others (and Snarl).

Dimorphodon instead of Swoop. The ugliest pterasaur around, makes a Pteranodon look positively graceful in comparison.

Scutosaurus instead of Sludge. Considering Sludge's dino mode doesn't actually exist any more (it doesn't, right?) I thought I'd just go for a dinosaur with massive tank like proportions... even if he too is relatively small.

So scale them up/down to comparable sizes and boom! The Dinocon squad Shockwave put together sometime!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  13. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Nice suggestions, Tigknat, a very nice range of prehistoric badasses. I'll offer a quick few specifics;

These two ain't dinosaurs (nor is Edaphosaurus). The former is an ancient amphibian, the latter is a marine reptile. Both of them are awesome, but not dinosaur-awesome.

Back in G1, Sludge was based off of Brontosaurus. However, it turns out that the bones people thought were Brontosaurus were actually those of a previous discovery, Apatosaurus. Thus, Brontosaurus was rendered redundant in favour of the original name.

As for Scutosaurus itself, a good choice. As you say, not quite as enormous as other sauropods could be, but if you're excluding mass-shifting, it at least keeps it somewhat in line with the other Dinobots.

14. TFTheoretician

Trilobite: These are quite diverse in size and shape, I think we could have a whole group of Trilobots! :D 

Diplocaulus: For the underwater-based part of the team?

Tylosaurus: It´s on my list! ;) 

Megalosaurus: I would go Giganotosaurus :D 

Ankylosaurus: I would say this is the one dinosaur icon not found in the Dinobots. And it deserves a better fate than this: Slapper (RID) - Transformers Wiki

Styracosaurus: This one, however, is rather cool! Grimstone (PCC) - Transformers Wiki

Edaphosaurus: Go for Dimetron instead, it´s also an icon, however wrongly believed to be a dinosaur...

Dimorphodon: Original choice, suitable for a Decepticon...

Scutosaurus: If you want really horrifying, go Estemmenosuchus...

But again, it´s your list, not mine... Thanks for the contribution :) 

15. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I still think a flying Triceratops with wings would be cool

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    So a Dinobot fuzor?

17. CKSpawn

CKSpawn 666 The Beastformer

I still say a Spittor like from Jurassic park his frill could fold up and make an awsome arm blade.
    A fuzor dinosaur would be pretty cool, but a flying triceratops wouldn't unless it was just the head of the tryceratops.The ayncklosourus would be cool in robot mode his shell could become his sheild.
    They mutated dinosaurs in the movie to make the transformations easyer and look cooler they can do that again.Hey I didn't mind. They should rerelease some molds but tamper them alittle like reenginering Tigerhawk and Windrazor so they have turning wrists and snap togather good.
    Remake dragon molds so they work better and have more articulation.Inprove on the old.

18. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

Call them Jurassicons.

Evil Slag: Kentrosaurus
    Evil Grimlock: Spinosaurus
    Evil Swoop: Quetzalcoatlus

19. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Wouldn't work because Scorn is a spinosaurus and he's a dinobot.

20. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Grimlock vs the Carnotaurus!