So... I'm the voice of Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jon3pnt0, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Mr Megatron

Mr Megatron Retired edgelord

I've watched your videos for years now and you are a funny and talented guy. Love your prime reviews! The fact that you (a fan) got the role of optimus prime in official media is awesome! Really happy for you.

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Don't listen to the haters. I wish you and everyone who's worked on this show all the best luck!

3. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Didn't you make those unsolved mysteries videos for transformers? I haven't seen combiner wars yet but that was so incredibly spot on. Congratulations!

4. Red Spider

Red Spider Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my thanks and say a massive well done too! From the moment I first heard you I just wanted to hear your take on OP! A huge fan of your work! I also thought it was very touching and massively respectful for you to even make this thread! This to me is an Ace Rimmer 'What a guy!' moment!

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Congrats on the job. Just food for thought, but it is very easy for people to let the quality in one area (story, animation) affect their perception of quality in other areas (voice acting). Even then, I think a lot of the hate for the voice acting is more on the studio choices than the actors themselves. I'm sure the guy who did Menasor is a great actor, it was just an odd choice for the character. For me, you did a fine job as Optimus, but some of the others didn't really match their personalities.

This doesn't mean I think you should just put up with comments, but I hope you realize that a lot of them are probably directed at the series in general, and not you in particular. I'd just let it roll off your back.

6. Maroyasha

Maroyasha IOU A Title

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Jon, you signed my Transformers Classics vol. 1 w/ Optimus on the cover at Connecticon. Now I know why you told me it would be very relevant soon. Haha.

7. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Congratulations Jon, great to see the coveted role of Prime go to a fan who truly appreciates the character. There are so many sudden media adaptations of childhood heroes and mythos that are given to people who have no appreciation of the source material. While the Transformers brand overall has fallen victim such treatment, it is great to see that Optimus himself is still in very capable hands.

I'm not sure it has been brought up yet but your introduction for Peter Cullen at SacAnime last year felt genuine - I couldn't think of a better fan tribute. Best of luck Jon and hope that you continue to be part of the mythos.

8. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    I'm happy they got you. If someone else is gonna do prime. Other than Peter Cullen, the best one to do is you man. You have my support. Thanks!

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Luck has nothing to do with it. Competent writing and voice acting is key here to the show's success. If the show cannot manage that then it deserves to fail. Or are you going to argue that incompetency deserves success?

There's good change and there's bad change. There are some fans who are "they changed it so now it sucks" who hate any kind of change whatsoever, but most are "they changed it and now it sucks" who are open to change but not open to being given inferior product.

IMO, the show desperately needs a narrator to fill in those two minutes of silence at the beginning of the two episodes we've seen so far. The action on screen alone of those two episodes (Menasor and Computron fighting, and Starscream flying around) is not enough to keep a viewers interest.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Wow, Bass. Wow. You really never heard of a thing called "tact", did you?

11. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Your the man Jon, you are doing a great job.... I need more of your toy reviews too! The Badcube Bugs with the voices and old school music takes me back!!!!!

12. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha. I thought I recognised the voice from Honest Trailers. I'll admit I had some trouble getting over that as I kept expecting Optimus to crack a joke. But I think knowing that it is actually Jon Bailey doing the voice, and not just someone who sounds like a cross between Jon and Peter Cullen makes me feel a bit better about it? Somehow thinking that it was someone doing Optimus and ending up sounding like Jon was worse than knowing it was actually Jon. Not sure if that makes sense.
    I do love his Honest Trailer voicework. And amazing to know he's a fan and a regular here.

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I've not yet heard Optimus Prime in this show so I can't comment on that. For now, there is nothing redeeming about the first two episodes. The first episode was boring, cliched and had horrible voice acting. The second episode was better but a third of the episode was Starscream flying around in silence and the scene with Starscream, Rodimus and the Mistress of Flame is just confusing as hell.

These two episodes do not deserve tact. If the third episode is genuinely good then I will call it out on being genuinely good.

14. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I was talking about "you're the only person relentlessly complaining about the show in a thread started by a guy who worked on the show".

15. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Oh the irony.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I believe I gave the episodes one and two a fair and accurate review of their quality. I had nothing bad to say about the voice of Optimus Prime as I had not heard it until today.

My review for episode three is that its easily the best episode so far of the three. I don't agree with Windblade's character being a complete 180 turn from how she should be, but we'll see how her story turns out. Optimus Prime has the best voice of the show by far, with Windblade being second. The fighting was also better than Computron vs. Menasor from episode one as well. So no real complaints about this episode from me. See, they can do good quality episodes if they really want to.

For the record, I don't like Peter Cullen in the modern cartoons, videogames and movies. He delivers his lines with an overbearing unintentional comically sense of drama for every single thing he says. I miss his friendly father figure voice he had back in the 1980s. That's the voice he should have stuck with, but yeah, I understand that its a case of different times and different audience.

17. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

agree

18. SilverBlade

SilverBlade Well-Known Member

Your voice is almost identical to that of Peter Cullen.

I really hope this will eventually lead to a full animated series (multiple episodes at 22 minutes each) with you as Optimus.

19. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You do know the man is in his mid 70's now, right? Kinda hard to keep the same voice, enthusiasm, and energy from 3 decades ago when one hits that age. IJS

That being said, jon3pnt0 as Optimus' voice isn't a problem (it's actually good). It's the series that blows chunks. Honestly, his voice talent is wasted here.

20. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    So far I like your voice work and I think it sounds better than usual in your other works where you impersonated Optimus Prime.