So I'm in...Wreckers, MTMTE and RID

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by FCatCH76, Jan 5, 2013.

1. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

After reading some threads on these stories, I jumped on board. Not being a comic book reader I decided to give it a try. Based on everyone's suggestions I bought the HC for LSotW, TPB of MTMTE and RID. I started reading LSotW, I'm up to chapter 5 and thought it was funny that a few times already the transformers are referring to themselves as people?? Is this common in these comics?

Otherwise, a great start, love the characters and glad I listened to you guys!

2. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Been away from tf comics for awhile, my buddy told me regeneration was good, but I screwed up and bought both mtmte tpbs instead thinking these were the ones he was talking about. Since the I have read lsotw and chaos theory. Been needing something good after annihilation and sinestro corps war, and who would've thought a tf comic would be on par with these. I'm glad I screwed up.

3. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

I heard Chaos theory was a mixed bag, most were saying the last two stories were made it worth wild.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    As I assume you're referring to the TPB...

Chaos Theory, as in the two Roberts Ongoing issues, is the best Optimus/Megatron interaction we've ever gotten. Period.

Chaos Theory, as in everything else in the TPB, is mediocre.

5. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

correct tpb

6. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

The way I interpret that: anytime you see one Transformer talking to another, assume that it's being translated from Cybertronian. And when you see words like "people", it's just the closest english translation.

7. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

I just assumed the writers forgot they were writing a story about robots...lol

8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would get pretty confusing if they'd replace every 'human' word with a robotic version (although I loved it in Animated).

MECHADOOM is right, just assume it's a human translation for us, readers. Not all of the bots have gotten into contact with Earth. And for the same reason, some texts on walls, even the ones six million years ago, are in English. ;) 

9. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Obv. because English is a universal language. USA! USA! //

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    And even if they were? Why wouldn't they refer to themselves as people? Do they think of each other as cold, unfeeling automatons with no personalities or character? No, they see each other as people.

There's a fine line between using robots words to the extent where it adds flavour and bolsters the story, and using robot words to where it sounds utterly idiotic and childish. As much as I love Animated, the robot word replacements would have been unbearable were the voice acting not as natural and convincing as it was. "Optic sensor" is a terrible and nonsensical replacement for "eye" for example and makes for incredibly disjointed and unnatural dialogue.

11. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

Do you mean the bots or the writers?

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Either. These characters ARE people. Why can they not refer to each other as such?

13. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    I've always thought of "person/people" as a term meaning "sentient being," not necessarily as a synonym for "human/homo sapiens." We use the terms interchangeably because humans are the only "people" we've actually encountered but if we were to encounter a different, similarly self-aware species, we would also consider those people.

14. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

it was meant as a joke and something I noticed 5 chapters into reading a story. I understand whats going on, just thought I would have an intelligent conversation with some people. Did not intend to get some of you guys all worked up.

Actually, the more I think about it, this really started as just a question... a question asking if this is common in tf comics. That is all, so please don't turn it into getting defensive or insulted. I mean no disrespect to you people or bots...lol.

15. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    All Hail Megatron is also a good read, as well as some of the the Spotlights.

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    :I

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    My apologies if I came off hostile. It's all good.

18. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have yet to read LSOTW or MTMTE in order but along with Prime and WFC/FOC, the fiction is WAAAAAAAY better than it was 3 years ago. I only hope the next movie will be as good.

Can't wait for next weeks issue of RID, I really want to see what happens between SS and Megatron.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Oh dude, when you get LSOTW and MTMTE prepare for a MASSIVE leap in quality from Prime and the games.

20. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Lol, I thought this too. My buddy insisted I read ahm, so I bought the hc. I was soo underwhelmed. I just wasn't as good as my buddy was hyping it up to be and it ruined me until mtmte.