So IDW1 phase one or IDW2 current which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nelomaxwell, Jul 24, 2020.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Unkempt Introvert (I actually bathe everyday.)

IDW1 had a good story and ideas, but nothing felt planned out, almost like if IDW felt the series wouldn't be their most popular comic. IDW2 atleast feels like it was plotted from start to end.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. It's why I give phase 2 of IDW1 high praise for it's first half because it made sense of a near incomprehensible phase 1 and tried to tie things all together.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TickTockGoesTheClock

TickTockGoesTheClock Dōmo arigatō, Mr Roboto

IMO it's way too early for this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mudslide

Mudslide Grieving Son

Neither. I prefer Scioli's TF VS GI Joe over both.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Till all are one

There's gender issues in IDW2 so far?

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are not unless he's under the impression that featuring fembots as a normal part of the population is somehow a gender issue?

• Like Like x 4
  7. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

The alien aspect was a major part of my enjoyment of the start of IDW1, that it was set from the human's standpoint helped the robots feel like dangerous alien machines. IDW2 feels more like humans in robot suits (with human problems); gender to me makes them more relatable, which is not what I personally want from Transformers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Till all are one

Ah. I see.

9. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Maybe it's fairer to compare the first 20 or so issues to one another.

In IDW1, by this stage, we were most of the way through Escalation, I believe - if you count the Spotlights as issues.

In this case, I would put IDW1 miles ahead on artwork, and in terms of the story, IDW2 feels more coherent while IDW1 has made a bigger impact in terms of characters, mysteries and action.

10. Blitzwing2008

Blitzwing2008 Triple Changer

I prefer IDW 1 better because it had a lot of variety between earth and other planets as well as the pacing of the stories seemed better when they introduced new characters and when they killed off old ones you felt it more. While with IDW 2 it feels like an inconsistent story trying to lead up to something and when it does it was easily predicted.

11. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Combatrona a'den mhi, Vode An!

Tumblr:
    What? You don't want to relate to characters?

12. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

Obviously everything is on a scale; but Transformers are aliens and machines, they should be weird and wonderful, not grappling with the exact same thoughts and emotions as me.
    That is how I feel, I'm probably in the minority, but hey we are all different so I will give some examples that relate to the topic.

I think that the first 20 issues of IDW1 did that better, Rachet's holo avatar is a good example, he is clunky and doesn't fit in. Most of the robots shown are in disguise as vehicles, the panels are drawn so that the robots look larger than us. Another example is how alien feeling Megatron is when Verity first meets him, he is huge, he just stands there as the place is exploding and glares, he barely acknowledges a human as a living entity and says nothing. I can't relate to that! Her reaction is what I relate to, what the heck would I do in that situation? That is what I enjoy.

[​IMG]

In the initial issues of IDW2, I think that they all speak and act like humans. They are drawn in panels so that you have no sense of how massive they are. Largely, they look more human, with human proportions and features.
    I don't think: "Wow look at how cool and different these robots are or how weird Cybertron is", I think: "Those Cybertronian conferences look as tedious as the one I was in last week." Does that make sense?

• Like Like x 4
  13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    If by Phase 1 you mean scrap everything from All Hail Megstron on? Then easily phase 1.

• Like Like x 1