So how do we feel about Jake Tillman as Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Proud Nintendo, Jul 30, 2020.

1. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Same as with other iconic voices like Donald Duck, Micky Mouse, Scooby do, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with them wanting Optimus to sound like Cullen. Cullen can't do it forever and it's nice to see younger talent getting a shot at recreating that iconic voice. Tilman did a decent job.

I do agree though that something was lacking in the voices. But thats probably more due to the voice directing than the actors..

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Bad. Bad, bad, bad.

No more Cullen impersonations, let someone do their own take on the character. That's what made Chalk's and Kaye's Optimi work.

And I'm just so sick of grimdark stoic Optimus. Can we please get this dude a goddam sense of humor again?

Even Snyder's Batfleck had some one liners for pete's sake, no reason Optimus can't either.

Absolutely the worst character and voice actor in the show, IMO.

That aside, if you're just gonna get a dang Cullen impersonator than just pay for Cullen.

• Like Like x 8
  3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    You know, there's definitely a way to convey the same idea as Peter Cullen's voice for Optimus (the wise, compassionate father figure who's "strong enough to be gentle") without just impersonating him.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

I do agree it's about the impact rather than matching, which is why I actually liked his delivery in WFC better than Cyberverse, although his Cyberverse work did improve as time went on.

5. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

This. I think Transformers cartoons have always have the benefit of great voice acting in the shows. In G1, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Animated, and Prime all the characters had distinct memorable voices that I can clearly remember in my head to this day. Even the anime from 2001-2006 which were rushed and sometimes clunky still had memorable voices. Gary Chalk and David Kaye of course stand out as Optimus and Megatron. But I can still remember the voices of Hotshot, Starscream, Jetfire, and more from that era. I can barley tell apart the voices of Ultra Magnus, Mirage, Sideswipe, and so on in WFC or for Cyberverse too. Although I liked both of those series the lackluster voice acting does bring it down.

As far as Tillman as Optimus he is not awful just medicore. He is not the worse Optimus Prime but he is no Cullen and no one can ever be. But at least bring some more humanity to the role. Chalk and Kaye stand out because they still bring some type of passion or humanity to Optimus where he feels like an actual person. There is just something almost soulless about this voice for Optimus. I wish they just let Cullen play him if he wants to. I know one day that won't be an option but just give me that great warm, caring, commanding, gentle, heroic, and naturally leading voice while we can. Even on Peter Cullen's most boring points as Optimus he sounds so much better then anyone else to me. Only Chalk comes close personally for me.

It is a shame that for over thirty years Transformers cartoons has always put effort into the voice acting and now it is more of an afterthought to save money.

• Like Like x 5
  6. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Terrible, he can’t maintain a consistent voice to save his life.

• Like Like x 1
  7. energoncake

energoncake The One And Only

He may not be Peter Cullen, but I like him.
    Peter is sadly not going to be with us forever, and I think Jake does a great job as Optimus, even though sometimes when he's supposed to be aggressive his voice stops sounding like Prime and goes go another direction.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then let the guy play it while he STILL is around. Stop trying to bury people before they're dead.
    Peter Cullen and Garry Chalk Chimed In on Netflix Series' Voice Acting and Business Practices

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    My opinion of Jake's Optimus?

bart.gif

I'm sorry, but after Peter, Garry, Neil, David, my standards for Optimus are pretty high. Even when the dub script was utter garbage, Garry could salvage some modicum of character. Even as stoic/bland as Prime Prime usually was, Peter still managed to come off as compassionate. Neil shows that an imitation of Cullen can work, if handled right, and RiD Optimus still wasn't carbon copy of G1 vocally. He just used Peter as a benchmark. (Depended on the voice direction in the particular episode.) David Kaye did a perfect job of a younger, more energetic version of the character.

This was just bad fan video quality.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 went on LEGO.com without his parents permission

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    After watching siege for the 3rd time he’s honestly not that bad imo in cyberverse he sounds like a 14 year old impersonating Peter Cullen In siege he sounds way more like he’s actually acting well at least to me but anyways I really hope that they bring Peter Cullen and frank welker for the new movies but if they retire or eventually pass away ( hopefully not anytime soon) they should bring Liam neeson and Hugo weaving as Optimus and megatron

11. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People say "let them continue to play the part" As if every actor costs the same amount of money. These last couple of series have obviously been lower budget than the ones that came before. Welker & Cullen are now in the league of movie voices with the costs that go with that.

If you don't want someone else playing prime either they would have to take the money out of somewhere else in the budget. Like the quality of the animation. Or they don't have him in the series.

Though really the cost isn't just them. It's that if they hired them they would have to hire Union workers for everyone else in the cast, I think, which again would cost more

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    We are not the Decepticons!

You're right, he doesn't sound like a 14 year old there.
    He sounds like a 12 year old.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Magnus Leader

Magnus Leader Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Funny you should say that.

I thought most of the budget was not going towards the animation in Siege.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi I only accept apologies in cash

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    He's like Nolan's Batman. You're expected to be scared shitless when he gets mad, but you end up cringing because his "angry" voice is so bizarre and out of nowhere.

I know Peter Cullen will need to a successor as Optimus someday, but I wouldn't pick Siege's VA even if he was the only option available. Sorry to say but I think the entire series would be massively better if it were redubbed with better actors. Not even Bayformer's actors were as awful at voice acting as WFC's.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    The Bay voice actors were fantastic, as limited as their roles were.

• Like Like x 5
  16. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    Here is the TRUTH!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Here's something interesting I noticed. I think the general consensus when it comes to the ranking of Optimus Prime voices goes Peter Cullen, Gary Chalk, and David Kaye in that order. When watching interviews from various conventions, all three actors explain that they're essentially using their own real life voice or, in the case of Cullen, his brother's voice. I feel as though the biggest problem with this Optimus voice, aside from being an impression, is that it lacks the other personal connections that previous voice actors have formed with the character.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I really hate to be too critical. But after watching the episodes twice now, I just did not like his Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

That's a very good point - Peter Cullen, Garry Chalk, and David Kaye all put the acting part of voice acting first when playing Optimus.

• Like Like x 5