So how big is Unicron exactly?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Proud Nintendo, May 29, 2020.

1. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

His size tends to... vary I've noticed. It's pretty obvious that the scale of a planet sized Transformer, like he's capable of standing on Cybertron, but then in certain images, he's depicted as holding the Earth in the palm of his hand.

So... is size changing a thing? I mean, he is a Dark God so...

2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    What continuity are we talking about? You can't make an across the board answer for him any more than you could for any other character.

• Like Like x 4
  3. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unicron is exactly 1 Unicron tall/wide/heavy.

• Like Like x 24
  4. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Obviously, Prime Unicron and Movie Unicron are the size of the Earth, not that it matters considering we never see either of them transform.
    Marvel Unicron was presumably supposed to be the same size as Cybertron, which was supposedly around the size of Saturn in Marvel G1.

G1 Cartoon Unicron is anyone's guess.

IDW Unicron actually grew in size until he could hold Earth in the palm of his hand.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Nobody will likely give you anything other than generic responses so here are all the specific sizes I can provide:

In animated G1 continuity scale charts for Transformers The Movie show that Cybertron and Unicron are larger than Mercury but smaller than Mars in diameter. According to production info from Floro Dery, Unicron was modeled on Saturn and we also know that each orb in his rings is intended to be Earth-sized, indicated a much larger size than the film's size charts show. Lastly, in Japan publication Hobby Japan, Unicron in robot mode is juxtaposed next to the planet Jupiter for comparison.

For Marvel continuity, Cybertron is the size of Saturn and Unicron is similarly sized.

In Dreamwave, judging by the Ultimate Guide, Cybertron and Unicron remain in scale with the Marvel iterations: Saturn-sized.

In Dreamwave Armada continuity, Cybertron is smaller than Earth and so would Unicron be. I didn't calculate the diameter but I can provide the reference if needed.

In the Unicron Trilogy, it's up in the air. Nothing indicates Cybertron's size exactly but we do know Unicron disguised itself as Cybertron's moon in Armada. In the Cybertron series the planet Gigantion was supersized thanks to the power of the cyber keys so perhaps that would indicate most other planets were regular sized while that one became saturn-sized. Then again in one episode its readings had the Autobots initially thinking it was a star or a supernova so yeah...

In the FunPub Cybertron comic, Unicron is no bigger than a big Transformer, becoming a tank. Though this tank body was forged by collapsing a victim world his essence landed on, effectively making him a planet shrunken to the size of a tank.

In the Bayverse, Unicron is Earth. In TF Prime Unicron is the Earth's core.

Lastly, in IDW comics, Unicron grew exponentially by eating the Transformer colony worlds. The largest size he's recorded in-universe is being compared to an entire solar system.

It's also worth noting that in most continuities, Unicron can either eat planets to increase his size and power, or integrate himself said planet effectively making them his new bodies such as in Beast Wars Neo, Marvel UK stories and an episode of the G1 cartoon. And considering Unicron has killed countless timelines/universes... it's not impossible he's devoured and outgrown entire universes and timespace continuums.

• Like Like x 9
  6. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    27 inches tall, apparently. :p 

• Like Like x 4
  7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In G1 Cartoon, he is only a few miles tall. It varies by shot. The Dinobots flew from down below him, up over him and down to his butt very quickly. In season 3, they show them interacting with his head and his head on Cybertron. He has humans proportions so compare their size to his head and now use that scale next to your own head. Figure the average Transformer is 20-30 feet tall.

In the cartoon, Cybertron is a pretty small planet. Easy to see how it compares to Earth when Megatron brought it into orbit. When on Cybertron, you can often see the curvature of the planet when really close to the ground.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well hes a planet and soon to be a giant figure. Which i missed out on but hoping that Hasbro gives people another chance that couldnt make the money in time. I really want to own a copy of this figure but only time will tell and the powers that be at the big H will tell all in time I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    In most continuities? About the size of Cybertron, which, in most continuities, is about the size of Saturn.

10. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

he's the size of a planet. He's made of metal so probably pretty heavy to

11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That’s a bit horrifying.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    he's a big guy.

...for you.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In G1, how big is Cybertron in relation to Unicron?

14. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

Cybertron is roughly the size of Saturn in the Marvel Comics.

Here's how the two planets are typically sized;

If Primus is just the core of the planet, then Cybertron is larger than Unicron.

If Primus is the entirety of Cybertron, then he and Unicron are the same size relative to each other.

15. LiquidAimless

LiquidAimless Banned

Mine is 16 inches.

16. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

I just rewatched the movie for maybe the 200th time (always a good watch), and it definitely varies. I don't accept Unicron as Earth. That's just dumb. We'd have discovered that with seismic instruments and whatnot.

So, I'm guessing, without the definite size variations, Lithone was maybe Pluto-sized or something. It was a planet that had vulcanism, possibly due to the gravitation of the binary star system it was in, and didn't appear to have much of an atmosphere, but they're robots, so they likely didn't need one. I'm guessing Unicron is about Mars-size, and Cybertron is about Venus-size. We don't really see so many Cybertronians so it makes sense.

But if Cybertron is Saturn size, it's got to be very hollow so that gravity can be roughly earth-normal. In that case, Unicron would be about Neptune-size, and Lithone is about twice Earth.

17. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    The thing is, the show portrayed Cybertron as being around the size of a small moon.

18. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this thread again?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Sheepy sheepy sheepy

News Credits:
    Because of the uh, 'Unicron Singularity' uh... his size seems to fluctuate so trying to pin down his size / mass is a fools errand because of his non-Euclidian properties...

It seems to be different in each continuity, sometimes it's inconsistent IN-continuity!

20. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to provide older threads that discussed this in details already:

How much big Unicron should be?

Just for fun: How big would Unicron have to be to scale with CHUG figures?

Quick answer, whatever plot is happening (how he's written).. he's been completely inconsistent across all media.

It completely depends on whatever scenario that's going on.

I go with big mountain sized that can destroy planets.

I'll just copy the answer I gave already:

His scale being all over is an understatement.... the images you show make the dinobots being so big that they make Unicron smaller than Metroplex.

But if you take images of the ship that crashes into his eye against them (dinobots) at the door of that ship:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The dinobots should be closer to being like grains of sand (actually smaller), but then if you look at other images, he's flipping between Metroplex size to 100x that size within the same scene. With Galvatron that appears to be on the rim of the "mouth" of planet mode Unicron ends up on the waist... showing that the dinobots in scale to Galvatron would have been a fraction of what they are in the captures that you show in your post. Galvatron makes him look maybe a bit larger than Metroplex at this point but barely.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then Unicron arrives at Cybertron, is so massive that one hand would be more than enough for a whole city, then the camera angle changes and now it's only big enough for a few blocks worth. This ends up making a mess of the scale that Cybertron would also be at this point.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So the scale is beyond out of wack in every scene that they show him, basically all that matters really is that "he is big" and that there is no figure or anything that they can make that would be in scale with him in any sort of proper way. Even the accessories that are with the various toys (Galvatron's guns "Revenge" ship), the tiny things that the Haslab comes with, etc. none of it scales.

So for that, and for most people wallet's sake, I've always been absolutely fine with the Armada/Energon version for size.... if they did a titan version (let's say for the ROTB), it would end up like the ships (Ark and the Nemesis) and be on a scale of it's own as it would never fit with a single one of the others.

Personally, I've always look at him as being absolutely massive (of course) and so large that a Titan at the WFC scale would be able to stand like an mite on the Armada one's ring, making him at a scale of a huge mountain. I even did my own version of Cybertron with Unicron (as in my True Origin story, Unicron lays within Cybertron):

[​IMG] [​IMG]