So, how awesome is Classics Jetfire, really?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Gen. Hospital, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Gen. Hospital

Gen. Hospital Well-Known Member

I've been collecting just movie toys, really. (I know, I know; not a True Fan)

But, since generations have started coming out, and I randomly found a really dusty Sideswipe in a tiny toystore while on a trip with a couple of friends of mine, I've bought a couple of the CHUG toys.

I figured I should stick to the deluxes, since, you know, less expensive and all. Plus Voyager Prime has half the cab hanging from his arms, and don't get me started on that nerf-gun Megatron.

Anyway, while poking around ebay, I see that there are a number of Jetfire's for sale, and he looks decent to me. So does anyone... I mean, is he worth the 50 or 60 total it will likely take to get him shipped here? Any quality issues with the reissue multipack with deluxe Grimlock? Is this one of those where the Henkei really is the superior choice?

Oh, and the deluxe Megatron, is that as terrible as it looks?

2. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for classic and universe, the larger size class original molds are really good with the right paint apps, nerf megatron is much better in henkei, the deluxe is crap, voyager prime is great "half the cab" isn't really hanging off his arms, just shield-like things, and also the deluxe is crap. jetfire is awesome, great update to him,

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Pretty much agree with this. Voyager Megatron and Prime are really good toys. Henkei Megatron has the better paint apps, but I'm perfectly happy with the Classics version. Jetfire is pretty nice. His leg articulation is a little strange, but nothing major. QC wise, there's no difference between Classics and Henkei. Paint apps are entirely up to your taste. Henkei is extremely accurate to the cartoon, but I personally like the Classics version better. The Henkei version looks very bland to me.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same here, i don't like the smaller cockpit on the henkei either, even if it it cartoon accurate

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Jetfire is great. I recomend him. Near perfect update to the original. A lot of accessories to boot.

Voyager Prime is AWESOME. Those bits on his arms, in person, are not as bad as you may think. Plus Megs is really nice if you get the Henkei version.

6. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not the biggest fan of the Jetfire mold. I only own Treadbolt. He has cool features but I feel the figure itself is nothing special. The backpack boosters make him back heavy and his feet are kind of odd and hard to pose. Also his weapons are kind of weak. I dig the wings and helmet though.

I think I'm rippin on him more than I should, its just one of those figures that I thought I would love and once in hand I was like meh.

Now Voyager Prime mold, there one you can't be without.

7. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I absolutely love Classics Jetfire. Voyager Megatron and Voyager Prime are a definite must as well.

8. Gen. Hospital

Oh, well, everybody seem to like voyager Prime. :D  Saw it once at Toys'r'us, and I didn't like it.

I was wondering about Jetfire, since he was one of my favourite characters when I was a kid. I was looking at the Takara version... and the blue, and the small cockpit. It just, I dunno.

Thanks for your input, guys.

And the deluxes? Well, I don't like the random chrome. I mean, chrome guns on Starscream, fine. Chrome guns is a G1 thing. But, like, chrome spoilers? I dunno. Seems like quite a few of the Henkeis got chrome for chrome's sake.

9. sixpointsinspace

News Credits:
    I got my first of the Prime mold a few months ago (SDCC Nemesis Prime) as I felt the same as you. Having it in hand changes your mind, trust me. I also have Ultra Magnus. Still don't have the original Optimus color, but I have it in my wants. Some day :) 

Henkei's imo are best handpicked for what you want. Some are really awesome and some butcher the figure. Henkei Astrotrain for example is pure win. So superior to the Hasbro one its disgusting. On the same token, I don't recommend Henkei Sideswipe. I think the chrome ruins it.

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Why is deluxe prime that bad? I'm honestly curious, I don't own the figure but he seems decent in pictures (the altmode is not so good though). For those who have him, please tell me the reason for all the negative opinions on him... is he floppy, or perhaps has crappy articulation?

11. sixpointsinspace

News Credits:
    I like mine. He's not perfect, but for a deluxe I think he is a fair representation of G1 Prime. I think for most people his "punch" gimmick is the weakest part along with his not very accurate vehicle mode and simple transformation.

If his punch gimmick was removed and they put it a bit more detail into the transformation I think a lot of people would like him much better. Plus its hard to compete with the greatness of the Voyager.

I like the deluxes gun quite a bit too. Transforming guns intrigue me :) 

The deluxe Megatron gets a bit of undeserved bashing imo too. His only real unforgivable fault is his right arm (if you want to call it that). It's gimmick completely ruins that arm. A plain arm with fusion cannon made from the tank cannon would have made him awesome!

12. Gen. Hospital

Ok, maybe I'll look for a sane price on voyager Optimus then. :D 

I bought Henkei Hound and Henkei Prowl 'cause they looked better to me, but then Classics Silverstreak. The Henkei one just didn't look as good.

Yeah, uh, I hope it's not terrible. It hasn't gotten here yet. I got it from Robot Kingdom, as they had it for like $12, when I ordered that Galvatron/Cyclonus/Rodimus 3-pack.

EDIT: Looking at Mirage right now. Henkei or Classics? There's like a $10 price difference. Is the Henkei $10 more awesome?

13. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I searched everywhere for Jetfire. That's now much I wanted that figure. He's an excellent update.

At first, I was a little skeptical on Prime from photos, but after I got him, I couldn't have been happier.

14. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

I do not have Jetfire but i have the repaint Treadbolt and i can honestly say it is an amazing mold one worth picking up. With his back pack his balance is poor but fully armed he just looks amazing!

15. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

I decided to get the original Classics version when I read somebody describing it as "made of WIN and AWESOME". Suffice it to say, that person was right.

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics Jetfire is one of my all time favorite figures and molds. I would pay $50-60 easily enough if it was the only way to have it. I do recommend the Classics Hasbro deco personally.

17. Gen. Hospital

Voyagers are $65 - $75 in stores here.

18. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jetfire's worth getting, and personally I recommend the hasbro version.

And as everyone else has said; get Voyager Prime.

Remove the punch gimmick and restructure the legs so that his lower leg pieces slide up over the thighs. I realize that's just making him a heavily simplified MP Prime, but my biggest complaint with the little guy is how damn long the rear end of his truck is.

19. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

jetfire is one of the best classic toys(my other personal favorite is skywarp for the great paint job)
    The only problem with the classic line is the plastic quality, it just feels cheap.(Rodimus is the worst for me) If they made the classic jetfile with g1 material, it will be one of my all time favorite toys.
    I won't go out pay $50-$60 just for him though, with that price u can pretty much get a g1 jetfile complete without gunclip.

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm gonna be contrary here. I really don't think he's all that. Alright, he looks pretty good in either vehicle mode, and in his un-armoured robot mode.

But I personally think he looks really dumpy in full-armoured robot mode, with awkward proportions, especially the over-sized helmet.

I hate his leg articulation. It just looks bad.