So Hasbro does not have an inventory (some) G1 figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by archieboy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got it from Vangelus's interview with Mark Weber at Botcon 2014, right at the 23:27 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0uG8JszvCs#t=1407

I just find it odd and funny that a business that is currently worth around $7 billion has to compete with poor farts like us on eBay just to get a boxed G1 Swoop to use for the packaging of a new product. And it turned out to be a little too late, so we have G1 Strafe on the packaging instead.

(It would not surprise me if what they got was the high-quality KO, actually.)

Finally, maybe not having a stock of the old toys is forgivable, but not having digital copies of the artwork is very lame.

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yeah, I found that a little bit strange too.

3. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

Huh, that's...pretty weird, yeah. Maybe just because back then nobody assumed anyone would collect the packaging or that it was worth anything?

4. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    That is odd, i would have figured that they would have records of the original packaging, artwork, things like that. I'd like to think they have some terrific vault with a complete set of sealed pristine G1's somewhere, but that seems highly unlikely.

5. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

A lot can happen over 30 years.

6. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For those who did not know:

At the center of the issue is this packaging art for the AoE Strafe Evolution 2-pack, G1 Strafe--Technobot.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    He said for that particular art, so I just assumed that meant that they had swoop art just not the exact one that they wanted.

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They didn't have a Sky Striker for GiJoe either to make one, I assume it would be considered a waste of space to have all that just there setting around.

A lot of that stuff never got digitized from back then either.

9. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    This. Again, it doesn't make much business sense to store hundreds of THOUSANDS of assets for things you might never use again. Using G1 packaging art: the last time Hasbro really used most of those assets was in the early 90s for Euro Classics and G2, and functionality didn't touch G1 again until the early 2000s. (In truth, I think Strafe was an oversight, especially since the TF team likely didn't develop it, and who knows who in Hasbro direct worked on that item)

And don't forget that prior to the early 2000s, when a company "finished" a toyline, they often didn't save much from it unless they felt it could be monetized later. Famously, Mattel sold its entire 80s He-Man tools to be melted for scrap (supposedly ending up as part of the Hong Kong airport), because they believed the line was "done" and they wouldn't ever come back to it. Hasbro sold/licensed GI Joe tools to numerous parties after the line's completion in the US in 1994.

And with that, over the years Hasbro acquired other companies (Galoob, Tonka, Kenner, etc) with THEIR own libraries of assets.
    Just doesn't make sense to save stuff from EVERYTHING all those companies have done over the past 40 some years.

10. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks even weirder, considering that there's gonna be a book coming out pretty soon compiling as much G1 boxart in as high of quality as possible. I don't know why Hasbro couldn't have just called up Jim Sorenson.

11. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I remember reading an article in... I believe ToyFare about that, about how they had to comb eBay for pristine examples of the original molds when they decided they wanted to do the anniversary re-releases of some characters, and had to reverse-engineer the toys.

12. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

What's silly is there are resources online that have collected some pretty high-quality box art scans. BotchTheCrab.com being one of them.

13. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I figured they used strafes. Box art becausethey used strafes name, not swoops.

14. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

Doesn't surprise me at all. It's been thirty years, and the 80's were a different time. Scanning it in digitally wasn't an option, and I guarantee you nobody there gave a second thought to the idea that thirty years down the line Hasbro would still make use of it. It was just a toyline, with an expected shelf-life of a few years.

15. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

Ha. I was thinking the same thing.

16. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

They probably didn't keep any digital files cause it was the 80s

17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wasn't it stated that Reprolabels helped them with one of the reissues? I could've sworn that was the case with the Seacons.

Regardless of what time period it was, they should have kept better records.

18. dinorobo

dinorobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is very odd to hear, because, well.. From what I understand, Hasbro has a nondescript building somewhere around Pawtucket stuffed with test shots, package art, displays, prototypes, etc.; From what I understand (via an ex-expmloyee in Pawtucket) they don't have the resources to sort all the stuff in there, so it just sorta sits untouched.

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I'm tempted to call shenanegans on this, if only because it would take a pittance to get a few members of the fandom to sit down and meticulously sort through everything they've got.

We tend to be pedantic like that. :lol 

20. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    They didn't use Swoop's G1 picture because the new Dinobot isn't Swoop, he's Strafe, so they used G1 Strafe's picture.

Also it never seems to bother anyone that the Minicon included is actually neither Swoop or Strafe, it's Rav from the DotM release. The whole set is pretty odd really.