So...got some bad news the other day.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArmadaJetfire, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Went for a physical, pushin 40 and all, and the doctor is concerned that there is elevated glucose in my pee. Wait a few days for blood work and......I got the Diabeetus. Its my own fault really, not blaming anyone else, but just felt the need to vent a little. Its type 2, so its very treatable, but my doc wants to be aggressive with it, so I'm taking an insulin injection every day and my daily meds. My wife is upset, but we have a positive attitude and I know I can beat it. What really pisses me off is I have to watch the sweets and carbs I eat now and I friggin love junk food and bagels!
    But hey......changes need to be made and what not, and since I have a fear, boardline phobia, of needles, I want to get the fuck off insulin injection asap!
    So any ideas or experences (Good ones, not "My seconds cousins brother had it and they cut his leg off!" crap) that you think will help, post em here. And come hell or high water, I will beat this crap like a rented mule.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not a medical expert, but what about going to a less aggressive doctor that recommends less needles?

3. ArmadaJetfire

Type 2 can usally be controlled with diet and oral meds. But since my glucose is high, like stupid high, he wants to get it under control, hence the insulin injections, before he backs off of injections

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the best thing is to get the Blood Sugat under control ASAP and by any means needed.
    and then, with diet, some exercise changes, you can keep things under control and, AND there might be a good chance you can come off the needles and just take a pill or two instead.

i like your doc's aggressiveness. it may be what you need to beat this. good luck!

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I was diagnosed with type 2 a few years ago. Not gonna lie, it sucks. My wife had it also and had gastric bypass a few years ago, which got rid of the diabeetus completely. So after struggling with mine for a few years, I decided to go for the bypass too. June 29th will be my 1 year anniversary of my surgery. I haven't taken any diabeetus medication since June 28th 2011, and I feel better than I have in years. So, there's something for you to think about. I highly recommend it.

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in January.

Since then I've really made the effort to cut down on carb intake (generally no more than 45 per meal) and have learned to read nutrition labels on everything before I buy. I've become a salad fiend, eating a lot of grilled chicken salads since they're really quite good.

I get as much exercise as possible, within the limitations incurred from tearing up my back a couple of years ago.

My glucose level now reads about 100 on average, and my A1C is down to 6.2 from 9.9. The doc says I'm doing good with everything and just to keep on like I've been doing. Every now and then it's ok to cheat a bit - have a piece of cake for a birthday, for example. As long as its the exception and not the rule.

It's all about eating smarter and exercising, and keeping on top of it. It's not the end of the world, just making some changes.

7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i was diagnosed with type 2 back in February this year. i sucked. i wanted a second opinion. got it. still said i have type 2 diabetes. i cried. and then got over it. i take my meds. check my blood sugar. trying to lose weight. hoping things will get better.

8. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that.

Have you adopted a new eating plan or have you thought about slowly getting into shape with some means of exercising?

9. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Damn dude once you go on the insulin there's no looking back. Please, get a second opinion!

10. ArmadaJetfire

Yup, started eating healthier and actually reading food labels. And I started walking. I know its not much, but its a start.

The problem is, I need to jack up my insulin to balance off my glucose. Yes theres no promise I wont have to stop taking it, but my doctor has told me he has other patients that started the same type of treatment and are now insulin injection free once they got thier glucose lvls under control. I think if my lvls were close to a normal range, I'd look at getting a second opinion, but my lvls were stupid high.

11. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    They started me off on Metformin, 500mg but increased it to 1000 mg. They don't want to go to insulin unless they have to. I'm told that's many years off.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  12. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

im currently on metformin 500mg. hopefully i need to go 1000mg. and i just got the call from walgreens, my prescription has been refill. time to pick up.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I was on metformin 500 Mg. They tried to give me the other stuff that its a generic of, and it gave me the shits

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The regular stuff has that effect on me :)  I was told it might cause an upset stomach at first, but I never had that problem. So far it's worked pretty well.

15. Wreck n rule

Wreck n rule Well-Known Member

Huh. So I guess this is what Type 2 looks like.

Me, I've been Type 1 since the age of four.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    that sucks man, and good luck in managing it.

on the plus side ... *hands you your complimentary animated Blackout "diabeetus" figure*

17. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ya know... this is honestly good news in the sense that you were told while you still have an opportunity to make some life changes and get things right again. :) 

18. ArmadaJetfire

staying positive and have been making lifestyle changes. Already seeing some improvement, so just got to keep at it

19. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's seriously awesome man. You got this.

20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    TJ - you are absolutely right. In my case as well - since I made the changes, I've felt so much better. I've never viewed my diagnosis as a detriment, but really a wake-up call.