So...ebay rules just changed right?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

So I'm just checking in to make sure that the ebay rules just changed yesterday. I'm particularly interested in the 'sellers can't leave negative feedback' element. I'm not planning on dishing out a -ive but need to know for how to proceed with this situation:

I just won a loose complete G1 Whirl on ebay from a Canadian seller in Manitoba and I am in Ontario (one province away). There was no shipping info ID'd in the auction and now the seller is trying to hit me with a $30 shipping charge when actual cost would be no where near that. This is the exact sort of situation I've been waiting for the sellers can't leave -ives thing for. Because in the past the threat of negatives for myself for nothing other than contesting profiteering off of shipping has prevented me from asserting myself in the way I feel I ought to regarding profiteering through unexpected 'now you bought it so I'm going to charge whatever I want' actions. I've referenced ebay policy to sellers against sneaking in a high shipping charge simply for profit but arguments go nowhere because of the hostage feedback thing.
    Now when these situations come up I want to be more forceful but need to know that the new rules have kicked in...

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Was the charge listed in the auction? If it wasn't you have some recourse. If it was, you pay it.

3. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

If you havent been keeping up on Ebay to not support all these changes a Strike is going on right now from the 18th to the 25th in order to let them know that these changes are not needed along with other things that have been said about ebay users by the CEO of ebay.

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

^ Oh no, not listed in the auction. There was no shipping info listed in the auction at all.

I'd NEVER complain if I saw the shipping charge in the auction and still bid (unless they charge for one shipping method then use a cheaper one after the fact, but that's a different scenario), as that's the bidder's responsibility.

I usually never bid unless I see the shipping 'method' as well as the 'charge' too, as I don't bid on any US auctions using anything but USPS for customs reasons, but within Canada I figured I couldn't get in too much trouble but...

5. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    If the shipping price wasn't listed in the auction, why didn't you email him beforehand? I always do that to make sure I don't run into any nasty surprises like that.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

^ Yeah I usually do too, haven't had anything unexpected from within Canada in a while though so I guess I let my guards down.

No problem in the end though, the seller just messaged me back and stated that he reversed two numbers in entering the charge and that it should have been 13.xx rather than 31.xx so no probs.

But the rules did just change right?

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Yeah, there's a good chance he was trying to scam you and you called him on it. Thumbs up!

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I was under the impression that the rules don't change until 'sometime in may'. What went into affect this month (as of the 18th I believe) was the new fees system... which gives you cheaper listing fees, but is going to more than likely gouge the seller with the final value fees.

9. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

Fixed that for you :D 

10. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah, that element of the changes sure does seem to suck.

11. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Macabre mouse uncovered the info that the fees changes happened on the 20th but we can all neg each others ass to kingdom come until may

$30 would get that whirl to me in the UK, he's gouging you big time! do him!

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    :lol 

I'll let you know how I do this week. As it is my listing fees for the week were at least almost cut in half. But if the FVFs are rediculous than there's no point... still unless something better comes along what are you going to do?

Yep. Nail him if he's unreasonable! Though, I'd have to say that I refrain from neging as much as possible unless I feel it's 100% warranted.

Though, $30 seems a little high for normal mail... more like Priority Mail.

13. Paradigm-Shift Prime

^ He fixed things up so no problem now. Don't know if he intended to charge the high charge if I didn't say anything or not.

14. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Ah, must have missed that post.

15. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I always am suspicious if no shipping cost is listed in the auction. Everyone should know to get a shipping quote before bidding on any auciton if it is not listed.