So does anyone have pics of TF's in toy aisles from the 80s

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FreshDebesh, Aug 24, 2010.

1. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I demand somebody PHOTOSHOP an Earth shattering fake photo
    of a fully stocked G1 transformers toy aisle from the 1980's!

Now!

Pretty please?

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think Photoshop might be the only way to get photos for this photo thread. There's only been like two or three and we're fifteen pages deep over here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rodimusprime2007

rodimusprime2007 Act Think Speak As If It Was Your Last Breath

Ebay:
    This sure does bring the memories back. I grew up in a town of about 3000 in Nebraska. We had a Ben Franklin, nothing like TRU or anything like that, but they had it all. Lets see 84 I would have been 9. Transformers, GI JOE, MASK, HE-MAN, all that 80s goodness. I look at toy aisles now and they suck, Backumand or whatever this craps called, fighting hamsters. What have toys themselves come to? Also my WAL MART has even quit selling Joes and Marvel Universe figs. What the HELL??????My son loves Star Wars, GI Joe, and TFs. My wife blames me, but if Im going to spoil him then Im going to spoil him right.

4. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    kudos to OP for a freaking awesome thread. solid gold.

EDIT....after looking through all 15 pages and only seeing 2 actual pics, I'm astounded. NOBODY took ANY pics in the 80's??? I'm not expecting youtube toy runs, but NO PICS?????

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I have craploads of home video's from 1985-1989 of me opening probably 200+ transformers on Birthdays and holidays. Its funny people used to tell my dad he was crazy for spending $1800 in 1985 money on a VHS camcorder, he laughed and said, "time will tell". Holy shit if that thing isn't priceless now. I am the only one of my friends I know that has home movies of their childhood. I am Transferring them to DVD now actually. My buddy still has his video of his "Run for Fun" through Toys R Us in 1985 where he won literally a mountain of toys. I will ask him if he can youtube it. There is one part where he and his father reach behind a full shelf of transformers and sweep them into a cart and empty the shelf. He grabs two cobra terrordomes on the way back to switch carts. I still hate him sometimes for his luck.

6. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pics/video or it didn't happen! :tongue:  This "Run for Fun" thing sounds so awesome it has to be made up!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Nope. They are for real! I used to see them advertised on Nickelodeon when I was a kid. I always got really jealous when I saw kids riding away on bikes that were towing carts and carts of toys behind them! Too bad they don't do anything like that anymore!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Janitor

News Credits:
    Yeah, then you'd get guys in their 20s and 30s entering the contest for themselves (example: me!). I think anyone here would have a field day, and not just with TF toys. For the video games alone it would be worth the indignity of a man-child going apeshit on a kids' Nickelodean show.

9. Optimus997

Optimus997 Well-Known Member

The fact that pictures were "finite" in that you had to buy film that usually had 24 pictures at a time probably means a lot of people didn't just snap photos of any old thing. It was the same with home movies in the early days of reels, cassettes, etc, since you had to keep buying more film, you usually saved it for special occasions. I doubt it occurred to a lot of people to take pictures of toy aisles for posterity's sake. However, I wish it did, because those GI Joe aisle pics are awesome, and I'd love to see some more Transformers ones, just to see if it matches up with my memories. I still remember going to Children's Palace in the 80's and thinking the Transformers were stacked to the ceiling! :) 

10. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While not a photo, check this out:

Around the :13 second mark, you'll see some TF stuff.

God, I miss Hills. Best shopping trip ever was when I scored a returned "defective" Metroplex for $5 after Christmas. The sticker on the front of the box said it was missing the missiles, but when I took it home and opened it up, all of them were present. Completely perfect...

My brother got a G.I.Joe Tomahawk that same day, supposedly missing a wheel for $5. Again, at home, we opened it up, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Sigh...good times...good times.

MIKE
    engledogg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Hills pretty much ruled. I spent many, many hours in the local Hills' toy aisles around Christmas time looking at all the crap I wanted to get. When they closed, it was a sad day.

Coincidentally, my brother and I also got "defective" clearence toys from there once. They had two Soundwaves, and they were really cheap (I didn't pay for them, but I know they were cheap because otherwise my mom wouldn't have bought them). Unfortunately, they were both missing Buzzsaw and one was missing the weapons. Still, we each took one of the weapons and were happy as sh!t.

12. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  13. Blue Meanie

YouTube - Nickelodeon Super Toy Run - 1993

This is the nickelodeon one. My friends was different it was local, they got 5 minutes to run through the store, one cart at a time and one parent went with him. Believe me it is real, and a massive open wound bleeding sore between me and my best friend. He literally brought home a mountain of toys, he filled 7 carts and piled them up in his living room. He had multiples of everything, visionaries, gi joe, transformers, Centurions, game systems, games, three bikes and on and on. I went through everything with him for over an hour and was so happy for him. When I asked what he got for me he said "let me ask my dad". he walked around the mountain of toys, came back and said "my dad said I can't give you anything". I was crushed, hurt, sad, in disbelief. I told his parents this story later in life and his dad slapped him upside his head. I bought him a $600 surround sound for his wedding gift and his wife and mom told me never to buy him shit again until he man'd up and gave me one of those toys from long ago that are rotting in his attic still sealed. I have yet to see anything, he always "forgets". I have bought him tons of reissues, MP figures, and on and on but before I ever give them to him his wife or my wife says "run for fun J, run for fun" and back in my closet it goes. He has lost out on so many kick ass gifts because he cheaped out on me, and still does to this day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tide

tide NEON PRIDE

News Credits:
    Oh man, that was great. What kid didn't want to win the toy run contest in the early 90s?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Janitor

News Credits:
    Wicked! I believe I saw Omega Supreme, couldn't make out the other stuff. Definitely saw the U.S.S Flagg!

Never been so happy to be proven wrong. All you can do now is prove me wronger! BTW your "friend" sounds like a real selfish dick. Kudos for being the bigger man through all these years.

16. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    He's still got all that stuff still sealed in his attic? What's your "friend's" address? Hell I don't even know you, and I'll split the loot with you 50/50!

17. billcosby

billcosby Just Another Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's actually kind of understandable. Taking photos back then was as easy as today but developing them? Ugh. What a pain. You'd send in a roll of 24 exposures, pay close to $25 to get them developed and then you'd have a pack of pictures half underexposed, overexposed, photos exposed on top of each other, etc etc. And what a kick in the face to have a double set of prints of all these nasty ones.

I think a lot of people also took pictures only a few times every month or so, so when they'd get pics developed they'd start in Christmas and go into summer vacation.

Of course now we can go in and snap 1000 photos in a store... or two or three and then a sales clerk will come over to tell us we can't take photos in the store.

18. Blue Meanie

I hounded him for years to just give me one of the Visionaries or Centurians. Supposedly he still has a few of the Centurions and he has them waiting for me. I have seen him twice and he let me down. But its all good, I have a ridiculous Transformers collection now equal to any run for fun.

19. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Oh to be genius enough to build a time machine. :( 

20. tf_4_lyf

tf_4_lyf Deceptibot