So does anyone have pics of TF's in toy aisles from the 80s

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FreshDebesh, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't remember any Playworlds, but we had a lot of Lionel Kiddie Cities up by me. TRU squashed them.

2. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

The Logo for playworld was a kangaroo and her joey, funny they got smashed by a giraffe, lol---- Lionel Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    By the early 1980s, Lionel operated some 150 stores [12], under the names Toy City, Lionel Kiddie City, Lionel Playworld, Lionel Toy Warehouse, and Lionel Toy Town.

3. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    ahhh the memories...

Here's a link that pops up once in a while:
    (List of original 80s Transformer prices)
    The Vintage Space Toaster Palace

Thought this was a good time to bring it up again...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Kiddie City had the same kangaroo logo. The stores were about the same size as TRU too.

More memories: I remember going to the TRU by me (Oxford Valley Mall for you PA peeps) the first day it opened. It was like a carnival. They had games and shit out in the parking lot, tons of kids characters dressed in those mascot-like costumes, free ice cream, etc,.. I shook He-Man's hand and he grunted at me.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Heh - that's way tidier than I remember mine being. :p 

6. saitoh155

saitoh155 Seeker

I remeber when i was big into GIjoe as well as Transformers when i was about 6 or 7 and went to the TRU in Baton Rouge and walked in.One whole side of and aisle for Gijoe the other side was Transformers.Nothing on the floor,all the boxes were straight and they anything you could have possibly wanted there.It was so hard to decide what to get because you would walk another foot and something else grabbed you.I bought my first Snake-Eyes that day along with Blitzwing.What a glorious day.

7. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I think the difference today and the past is...back in the day, there wasn't many toylines as it is now...
    I remember tfs, joes, sw, legos and wrestlers for the most part....who knew that tfs would be a majorr force that it is today...

8. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

We were children, a different feeling getting a toy from your parents then just going to a store or ebay and just buying it yourself as an adult. My son is 4 and I always see how excited he gets when we go to Toysrus, that brings back memories.

9. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's crazy with the GI Joe pic. Imagine all of those figures AFAd? I mean, it was almost an entire wall or row of skystrikers...

Also, that shelf with the Godaikins is majorly epic. Just the Daimos figure alone there is easily a $500 piece, with Daltanias not that far behind. I couldn't tell if there was a Voltes or Tetsujin there but...wow. just wow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The memory I always go back to is the time the TG&Y in my hometown closed (Wal-Mart moved in). It had to have been somewhere between the fall of 1985 and the spring of 1986. Everything got clearanced down to nothing, and they must have had thousands of Transformers. One whole entire aisle was all Transformers. A whole endcap of Megatrons and Jetfires. Bins on the floor full of hundreds of Minibots. And no pictures but the fuzzy ones in my head... *sob.*

• Like Like x 1
  11. SpicyRichter

SpicyRichter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    GREAT idea for a thread, just bumping to keep it alive!

I read through the first page, and this confused the hell out of me!

12. DecepticonZone

DecepticonZone Well-Known Member

After reading that, I instantly fired up the google and went to check on Johhny's Toys, in Cincinnati/Hamilton area. A sigh of relief as they are still open. That place was my paradise when I was younger. Scary to think there's a sorta-new Wal Mart about twenty minutes down the road from it..

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Now if they would just invent that damn time machine!

14. SpicyRichter

SpicyRichter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Regular price for 'deluxe' sized transformers $15 in 1985

Just goes to show that prices haven't really changed when it comes to these toys. Of course this was the mid 80s at the peak of Japans economic boom, the Yen was skyrocketing compared to the USD.

These toys were actually cheaper than $15 in Canada too, as the CDN was doing better than the USD at the time. I think they ranged from $9-$13, correct me if I'm wrong

15. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Seeing the photos of what TRU stores used to look like does bring back a lot of memories. I used to live in a smaller town without one, so we'd drive a couple hours up to Oklahoma City and one of the first things you saw, driving in, was the Toys R Us sign, right next to Crossroads Mall. I remember seeing HUGE endcaps there... I'm probably not remembering right, but I recall looking for Ravage and Rumble, and an employee having to get a ladder to look all the way at the very top to find him.

I can still remember, too, what the first Transformers end cap we saw looked like, in our local K-Mart. I wonder if my dad knew what he was starting when he pointed them out to me. =p

16. Iced Sludge

Iced Sludge Banned

Technomad....THAT, is awesome!

• Like Like x 2
  17. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Man they were cheap but still expensive for a kid like me...

18. godbomber

godbomber Henkei != Hentai

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There used to be a toy store at the Mall of Memphis called "Toys By Roy", and they had a great big (for an 8 yr old) battle diorama of GI Joe figures & vehicles. Twas the coolest thing for an 8 year old to see.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Ahhhh memories. I remember a local store called Grad Central was where I got most of my G1s...one of their entire walls were dedicate to toys. I still remeber seeing the mountain of GIJoes, He-Man toys and Transformers.

I agree with all those saying we need to grab a Delorean and gun it to 88mph...

20. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

no offense, but my delorean will go 89 and i will get there before you all and buy up all dem g1 treasures bwhahaha all the twin twist and topspins will be mine all mine!
    too bad they don't make Deloreans anymore, I need a time machine

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010