So does anyone have pics of TF's in toy aisles from the 80s

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FreshDebesh, Aug 24, 2010.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread makes me want to shout YO JOE!!!!

2. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Speaking of memories,I remember back then when I was desperately wanting Jetfire after
    I done chores all week so I could get him and went to all the stores back then and he was
    gone,apparently he was uber popular here,and finally I went to Brookshires and they had
    some and I grabbed one and ran to the cash registers and paying for him.To me those times
    have come and gone somewhat,tho I do still get that feeling about certain figures,its just
    not the same IMO. But anyway I too would love to have a thread like this to remember
    those times.Thanks for making it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Lots of cool stuff here.

I'm surprised to see that the prices are about the same as today in regards to size. The G1 Ironhide/Ratchet is $9.99 in one of these ads. HFTD Deluxe Ironhide is currently $9.99 at Target.

4. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok... I've definitely seen pictures in the last year or two floating around, but now I have to remember where they are! I finally found one, which is a picture from People magazine and shows a FAO Schwartz display with some Transformers. It is in black and white and not the best quality, but at least you see some transformers. I do want to give the proper credit for all who found this... so:

1) www.shmax.com • View topic - Suggested add/change for Generation 1 Skids thread on shmax referenced:
    2) Skids was an 84 release... which uses a People magazine as proof for its article.
    3) The people magazine (you can download it) Baby Fae: A Child Loved and Lost : Dec 03, 1984 : People.com see page 175.

Now for the pic!
    [Edit... I cut off some of the pic... woops! Ok, see the new pic with more transformers!]
    [​IMG]

5. Chump

Chump Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Mr. Moody's Toyland in Waltham, MA? The pictures of jetfire on the store shelves are epic here...I could never get one when I was a kid because it was sold out all over the place. I had to "settle" for megatron instead.

6. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow those were the good ole days............

7. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Look at all of those vintage gokins on the shelf.... *long sigh*

• Like Like x 1
  8. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
  9. Wajo357

News Credits:
    Interesting, but to not get too far off topic - I believe what the shmax link was saying was that there were boxes of skids with the Product Code/Assortment # for the 1984 assortment. They aren't saying that the 1985 assortment code got released during 1984, but that there were separate boxes for a specific 1984 release that was with the other autobot cars. Anyway... back on topic... ;) 

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It is frightening to think what the contents of just one shelf in those photos would be worth nowadays!
    That one with all the Megatrons on or the row of Jetfires...

11. Wajo357

News Credits:
    I wonder what people 20 years from now will say about this pic (courtesy of seibertron.com) :) 
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Not much probably.

That is far from an impressive array of figures. The pic of the entire wall full of Tuner Mudflaps however...

13. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    in comparison to our photos?

"Thats bullshit":lol 

14. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I do miss the thrill of finding a toy i really wanted back than it was more special than only a few finds have had me really excited lately its a shame.

15. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Man, I remember buying my toys at Lionel Playworld and a place called Circus World at the Hollywood Fashion Mall in Hollywood, Florida. Then Tru opened at the location that used to be Lionel Playworld. I remember how big the isles looked to a me back in the early 80's-- goodtimes!!

16. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    This is a great thread, even if it's just for the memories it jogs. Toys R Us and Children Palace were here, in addition to a lot of KB Toys. I remember Childrens Palace most fondly, they had a real warehouse setup, so it made TRU look tiny. In one row, they had TMNT, GI Joe and Transformers at one point. I would always go in with my little allowance money and spend at least a half hour deciding what I wanted.

Toy stores have been destroyed by Walmart and Targets, Kmarts, all these one stop shop places really. I wonder how long TRU will hang on? I have a feeling I'll be telling my grandkids "there was a time when they had whole stores full of toys instead of a section!" Sad really.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I know what you mean. :cry 

18. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

I remember buying G.I. Joes at my local K-mart for a $1 a piece. Ah those were the days.

19. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I grew up in a really small town so I rarely ever got to see big toy aisles on a reglar basis until we moved to a larger city when I was 11. Prior to that most of my toygazing was done at the local Ben Franklin and Hardware Hank stores, which usually had toy sections that were anywhere from four feet wide to maybe one whole aisle, and contained only a bare smattering of popular toys, like maybe two Star Wars figures to choose from if I was lucky. I remember finding exactly ONE Voltron lion, ever, in that town and going mad knowing the rest where out there in the world somewhere, but not there.

Seeing my first big toy aisle (it was Pamida and I was 7 or 8) was a bewildering experience. I was heavy into Star Wars and was used to never really having to make a decision on what to get because I usually had to settle for whatever figure or two were at Ben Franklin. Anyway, I remember standing there staring at this monolithic Star Wars section with pegs of figures stuffed to the gills and a top row higher than I could even reach. I was with my sister and I think she was able to get about an hour of peaceful shopping done while I stood, mouth agape, and tried to solve the riddle of which one figure should I choose? I had a bunch of change in my pocket and my sister had told me I could buy whatever I had enough money for. I was certain I had $4, enough for one Star Wars figure. I finally decided that Wicket the ewok was coming home with me. My sister let me check out "by myself" and when I handed the money to the cashier it turned out I only had a little over $1. I only had a thin grasp of the concept of math, was still overstimulated by the toy aisle, and in my mind one quarter was the equivalent of one dollar. I'm sure my sister didn't want to, but she ended up buying the figure for me, probably because of the "aw, isn't that cute!" reaction from the cashier.

Anyway, I love seeing the photos posted so far and I hope to see more. Memreez iz nice an stuff. :) 

20. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

brings back memories of a time long gone...