So do we like RID2015 or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Lovecraft, Mar 16, 2015.

?

How do you feel about RID2015 so far?

1. Love it.

79 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. Like it.

90 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. Indifferent.

40 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Dislike it.

33 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Steeljaw has actually appeared quite a bit since the 80's. Granted now as often as Ravage but the name has seen a lot of reuses. Though unlike Ravage who is always a Decepticon panther/jaguar, Steeljaw has been an Autobot lion only four times. One of them being a small cameo in Animated and another being in the Shattered Glass universe which hasn't really been made main stream. Oddly enough the Bayverse actually has two different versions of Steeljaw. The first one being the Wreckers pet from Dark of the Moon, the second being the previously mentioned Lockdown minions which is the first example of Steeljaw appearing as a Decepticon. They're both dogs but the Autobot version is more of a pit bull while the Decepticon versions are wolves. And now there's this guy.

I might also add that a more G1 version of Steeljaw is already suppose to have existed in this universe but as I've said multiple times on the forums despite claiming there's an aligned continuity between the games and shows Hasbro seems to be doing nothing to actually align them. FoC Steeljaw is an Autobot lion... though being a toy only character I guess he doesn't really count. On the other had they are a toy company... But that's another reason why Steeljaw is so memorable is because he has actually had a fairly recent G1ish toy release. Even kids who weren't around in the 80's probably have that FoC figure and are confused as to why Blaster's minion is now the Decepticon's leader.

2. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or maybe there's kids right now that are happy to see that the AOE blue wolf Decepticon is back in the new show. It goes both ways really.

3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I kinda doubt that one because AoE Steeljaws were never named on screen and the toy isn't really accurate to how they looked in the movie. The Japanese exclusive Micron figure is more accurate and that one is only a repaint of Classics Overbite. RID Steeljaw does seem to be loosely based on the coloring of the one step changer from AoE. Personally I never actually saw that toy in stores but there was an abundant supply of FoC figures.

That's actually another reason why I think this bothers me. AoE Steeljaw is the only previous incarnation of him as Decepticons and most people don't even that is their name. I keep saying they because there was more than one of them in the movie. Why not use one of the survivors from Prime or introduce another Decepticon leader we've never seen outside of the comics before.

Bludgeon has had a lot of toys made of him. I don't normally bother with them because I don't know the character well enough to care. But what about introducing him into a cartoon series?

Jhiaxus just got a toy recently, and it comes with a comic. (He's one of the ones I'm still searching for.) No animated version of him?

Straxus, again, he's had a lot of toys but never made any appearance in the cartoons.

Tarn... I think this guy interests me the most. He's never had a toy before so this would give Hasbro an excuse to finally make one. The dude has a Decepticon insignia for a face. I've seen very little of him in the comics that I got with the Thrilling 30 figures but what I have seen I've enjoyed. I love the design. Can we have this please?

Thunderwing, another dude with a Generations figure who has never been seen in any cartoon and lead the Decepticons in the comics.

Liege Maximo, one of the Thirteen Primes, how awesome would that be to not only get the first animated version of this character but also to have a Prime as the Decepticon leader at a time when the Autobots don't have Optimus?

Shockwave survived Predacons Rising, he's been very popular character lately, what about him?

We don't really know what happen to Starscream. It's implied that Predaking killed him but we don't know that for sure. It would of been nice to see what happen there.

There's also the Fallen, I would love to have another figure of that character. I freaking love the Fallen in case you can't tell by my avatar.

So Hasbro passed up all these great choices to give us... Steeljaw... There are more I haven't even mentioned but these are the ones I'd most want to see lead the Decepticons in an animated series.

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

So because he's nothing like how he appeared in fiction, kids are less likely to care about AOE Steeljaw's toy than a toy that has absolutely no fiction attached to it? I don't follow that logic. If they don't realize the toy's based on what appeared in the movie, they have no less attachment to it than the FOC toy. If they do realize they're the same, they get a toy of a something cool from the movies, making them care more about it than the FOC toy.

But that's the thing. Nothing is always the way it was in G1. This show just takes that further than usual. I understand being bothered that rather than creating a new name, or using an old Decepticon name, they reused an Autobot name, but Steeljaw was never a prominent character. Also, there is a chance that the Fallen will become the main villain.

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Your saying Steeljaw in G1 wasn't memorable but an army builder from a movie that wasn't even named on screen is? The Steeljaws in AoE had even less characterization than the G1 character did as they were only drones. They weren't even really characters which is why no one ever bothered to name them. Who's going to associate RID Steeljaw with those guys except for us?

You also seemed to be ignoring the part where I mentioned how rare AoE Steeljaw's toy is compared to FoC. Very few people even know he exists so who's going to have an attachment to a character that wasn't even really a character with a toy that looks nothing like them and is near impossible to even find?

Even if by some chance some kid did have the figure and knew who it was suppose to represent, again it looks nothing like the movie. Who would even care about them? FoC Steeljaw not having any fiction attached to him would actually be beneficial in this case because there's nothing to compare him to as being an inaccurate toy.

You may think G1 Steeljaw isn't memorable but look outside yourself for a minute. How many people do you see online talking about the AoE Steeljaws? How many people do you see talking about the G1 Cassettes? I haven't seen anyone who doesn't know who G1 Steeljaw is but I sure see a hell of a lot of people that don't know about AoE Steeljaw. I've even seen someone on YouTube review that one step changer claiming he never appeared in the movie. Can't remember who at this moment but he's a member on these forums. There only seems to be a hand full of people that even know he exists while your the only person I've ever seen who doesn't remember the G1 character.

6. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neither was FOC Steeljaw, who doesn't even show up in anything other than the toy. Just like AOE Steeljaw, who was officialy released and thus will be some kid's first exposure to the name, and that is assuming they even remember the name of the character, I know I didn't remember the name of many toy-only guys I had until I looked them up as an adult.

You're moving flag posts like a mad golf course manager, Hasbro used a name for a new character that was another guy's name in the past, happens all the time, relax, it's not going to magically erase the G1 guy you like from existence. You don't even like the show you literally have no reason to care.

7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

That's twice now... Try reading more than just the first sentence. I hate being quoted out of context.

8. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did read the rest, nothing interesting nor important, you used too many words to say very litle that holds zero value to an objective conversation. Fact stands that if there is a kid that is going to complain Steeljaw was an autobot before there are also kids that will think he's the same-name same-color wolf they have. It's not a good argument for either side of the thing, assuming there even needs to be an argument about this.

The rest of your post is just your rambling desires and I could not possibly care less about who you wanted to be the bad guy, just pointing out that "Hasbro doing it was wrong because the G1 guy exists" is silly, that has never gotten into their way before. A kid that has RID as his first show will not lose sleep over the fact that the bad guy used a name he never heard before and certainly won't be upset he is the big bad instead of obscure characters he never heard about in his life, and this show is being made with those kids in line. Just ignore it man, you're creating things to be upset over.

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

No, I am not saying AOE Steeljaw was more memorable than G1 Steeljaw. Where did you even get that from? You said that the FOC toy creates interest in an Autobot Steeljaw, I and BigRed say AOE creates interest in a Decepticon Steeljaw.

I have no idea how rare AOE Steeljaw is. I know I've seen some in shops. If it really is rare, very well, AOE Steeljaw won't do much to create interest in a Decepticon Steeljaw, but there I stil don't believe most people care about Autobot Steeljaw

I honestly don't think most kids care about screen accuracy. Otherwise, the Transformers line would've died out before the end of G1.

Most importantly of all, the fact that adult fans, who grew up in the eighties know who G1 Steeljaw is means very little. It has nothing to do with what kids will think, and clearly most adult fans agree G1 Steeljaw was not too memorable to have his name used as the lead Decepticon because very few are actually complaining about it.

10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Had you actually read my posts you would see there is something important you've ignored twice. Intentionally ignoring something because you don't think it's interesting or whatever your excuse is and quoting someone out of context is not an objective conversation. What's the point of even having a conversation if you're just going to ignore half of what I say?

I'm going to point this out one last time as you both keep ignoring it.

There are more people who know about the Autobot Steeljaw than the Decepticon.

There is only one incarnation of Steeljaw as a Decepticon which was never named on screen and has one inaccurate hard to find toy that only a hand full of people even know exists.

The Autobot Steeljaw weather you remember him or not, a lot more people actually know about his existence. He's not really obscure as he has been reincarnated multiple times both on screen and as toy. Unlike the movie version his toys are actually accurate to his on screen design or in the case of his most recent incarnation, don't even have an on screen design to compare to.

You're comparing a guy with only one incarnation and no history to a guy with a 30 year history and multiple appearances and toys in different fictions and toy lines and trying to argue that they both have the same level of obscurity. That's like trying to argue to that the Decepticon Laserbeak has the same level of obscurity as the Autobot Laserbeak. Armada is the only toy line/series where Laserbeak was an Autobot while he has appeared in G1, Cybertron, Animated, DotM, and Prime as a Decepticon. How can they be the same when one has clearly been around a lot longer?

I don't know if they really care about him but they at least know he exists. And I'm sure people would rather see a Decepticon leader they recognize than this Autobot reject.

Not really... Back in those days we didn't have any other options for toys. If kids didn't care about screen accuracy figures today would still be as bad as they were back in the 80's. Have you not noticed that toys today have actually made an effort to be screen accurate.

That's like saying if kids cared about articulation the toy line would of died back in the 80's. No because toys back then weren't expected to have articulation. If you gave a kid today one of our 80's toys they'd probably throw it away.

We didn't care because we didn't have anything better. You can't really say kids today won't expect something just because we didn't. Now days toys have all kinds of articulation and screen accuracy and that's what kids have grown up to expect. Anything less to them would be stupid.

It's like if you were to watch a science fiction from the 40's. They didn't have the technology back then to do what we can now. Just because people back then accepted it doesn't mean people now will accept it.

FoC Steeljaw is based on the G1 character and is a fairly recent figure so kids will still recognize him.

And most importantly I'm not complaining because I really like Steeljaw. I don't mind them reusing the name for a Decepticon. Really I'm complaining because they didn't use another Decepticon as the leader. I don't really like the beast/vehicle designs of these Decepticons. I would of rather seen Starscream, Shockwave, or Predaking as the main bad guy. Even dudes from the comics I know little to nothing about I'd rather see than this Steeljaw character. The only Decepticon I'm really interested in this series is Fracture. Even he would be a better choice for the Decepticon leader. Steeljaw just seems totally random and out of place like they drew his name out of a hat. It just doesn't feel like they put any thought or consideration into who the new Decepticon leader should be. Just throw a bunch of names into a hat and whoever we pull out gets the job. Any one of these new Decepticons could of been the leader and it'd still seem just as bad of a choice... unless it's Fracture... his design actually stands out being the only one without any animal features I thought he would be the main bad guy because no one else really stands out as the Decepticon's big bad. They all look like grunts to me.

11. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Or perhaps the kids will just be happy to see a blue badguy wolf who transforms into a cool car. And if one of us nerdy adults mentioned that Steeljaw was a name used for another character, they'd say "ok" and go right back to watching RID15. :D 

Edit: At this point, the fandom is so varied with people coming into this franchise at different points and growing up on different shows/media, I feel it's probably hard to peg which versions of obscure characters will be recognized by kids today. For me (I didn't grow up on G1 and never focused much on it), Autobot Steeljaw is way more forgettable than AOE Steeljaw. Because I cared more about AOE Steeljaw than Autobot Steeljaw to begin with.

In fact, for the age range this show is targeted at, which Steeljaw they know about will likely depend on which version their parents/older siblings tell them about.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah I honestly have forgotten Steeljaw was once the name of Blaster's lion cassette.

AOE Steeljaw however wasn't a character, however it paved the way for the RID version. That i respect. :thumb 

13. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    yeah AOE Steeljaw was supposed to be more like a species name, wasn't it?
    But thats what pops into mind when I hear "Steeljaw" talked about outside of RID15 *shrug*

Inb4 RID15 Steeljaw defects to the Bots in the last season and teams up with Blaster. XD

14. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I don't get is where they are going with this series. Right now my impression that the story is all about going after Decipticon flavor of the week, while learning the values of collectivism.

15. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, wasn't Steeljaw one of the Predacons in Transformers Prime: Predacons Rising?

Who the heck is AoE Steeljaw? I don't remember any KSI Pseudo-Decepticons outside of Galvatron and Stinger.

16. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Steeljaw was the name given to the toy of Lockdown's wolf pack.

17. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

your thinking of darksteel

18. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I've tried, I really have. The Animation makes me want to use a spoon and remove my eyes, the writing seems sub par to me and the Voice actors range from too over the top to phoning it in.

I'm stopping and will maybe give it a chance down the road. It took years for Animated to win me over even though the art direction looked to me like it was done by a drunk 3 year old with head trauma.

19. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Well the good news is if RID15 takes years to win you over, if it finally does, you'll have the entire show available and won't have to wait every week for each new episode :D 

20. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yeah, same thing happened with Beast Wars and Animated so, I'll just let it be and hope for the best down the road.