So... are Peter Cullen and Frank Walker done with Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Markatron, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Markatron

Markatron MarKreations Studios

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I ask this because in recent years any series developed now has new actors portraying them, and since they both are in their late 70s I'm actually getting worried...

I can't loose these two, man. The day I see an announcement... you know. I'll be absolutely crushed... as I'm sure we all would be...

Also I want Frank in particular to do one more piece of media as Megatron, since then his last time reprising Megatron won't be ib TLK...

Anyway... do you think they are trying to slowly retire? Or is that Hasbro's doing? And do you guys prefer that they stay as long as they can, or let them have some rest? Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts...

• Like Like x 6
  2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    honestly the only time cullens prime has been any good in recent years was in the bumblebee movie. his voice is still great, people just dont know how to direct or write for him

• Like Like x 17
  3. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 MEGATRON ATTACK

News Credits:
    I think they are starting to lose "the touch" when it come to voicing these characters. Peter sounds more like the gatekeeper and less like the hero, and Frank's Megatron sounds more sickly than sinister. It's something that come with age, and in Franks case straining his voice for so many years.

• Like Like x 14
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Not yet, I hope. But they're getting old, and there needs to be some news that gets them back as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 3
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    And yet Chalk and Kaye can still pull it off. Just sayin', we could always have those guys back.

EDIT: I was so fucking certain I put Kaye, I think I'm having a stroke.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  6. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

They both deserve one really great movie before they're done voicing these characters.

• Like Like x 12
  7. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    Like dude, if they wanna retire they certainly earned it.

• Like Like x 16
  8. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Maxicon

They've earned their place... no, they've earned it being their choice. They have nothing to prove.
    If they want to go "Betty White" about it AWESOME. If not, they are sentient beings and have that right.;) 

@tigatron2002 is correct in establishing what a difference writing can make on an actor's performance. Voice actors are the ones who really bring a character's persona to life, but they are just the lightning, and can be neither credited nor held responsible for the body they're trying to animate.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think the biggest problem i have with cullen as prime these days is that the grandiose prime that he usually plays now is sorely lacking in passion. he always sounds like a bored orator that is about to fall asleep

• Like Like x 4
  10. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    I think it's likely that they'll be playing their characters in future live-action films.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    It's more Hasbro being really cheap.

I think it's Rescue Bots Academy didn't even use union voice actors. Hasbro's side projects haven't had a lot of money dumped into them, so there's no budget to get a quality cast.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Galvatross

Galvatross Nemesis of the Dreklords Veteran

I don't know, but they're both still fantastic I think. The key for Cullen over the last decade or so is to have some voice direction that either gets him to emote, or at least allows him to.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Union does not automatically equate to quality and non union does not automatically equate to not quality

• Like Like x 7
  14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    That wasn't entirely the point.

The point is generally that Hasbro wants to cut corners, and non-unionized voice actors are cheaper than unionized voice actors.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Partially, but yeah.

No, but this thread is about Cullen and Welker, who are both union actors. They're not going to work non-union jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tonkatsu

Tonkatsu Haver of Bad Opinions

Union stuff aside, Cullen and Walker are both old as hell. I'm sure they'd love to continue voicing their characters for as long as they can, but at some point they've gotta hang up the ion blasters and fusion cannons and retire. Voice acting work is pretty challenging, even for younger people. I can't imagine how straining it'd be on someone their age.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I wouldn't say they're "done." Both are currently headlining the ToyCon and FanX convention circuit, so they're still out there making public appearances which could lead to other things. It would be nice if both could reprise their roles on a TF show with good writing and good animation, though. The fandom is long overdue for that.

18. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I'm ready for some new blood. This brand has grown so stagnant it's disgusting. G1 G1 G1 and that includes everyone wanting the OGs. Any new portrayals could be quite nice but you all HAVE to learn to stop comparing to the originals. Death is inevitable. Cullen and Welker will not be here forever. Not to be gloomy but it will happen. Either the brand dies with them or it evolves
    It transforms

• Like Like x 2
  19. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just hope when ether of them go. No one makes and crass jokes about resurrecting or reformatting them. I see that coming a mile away.

They have been playing the roles for a long time. Primes has recently been shown as this stick in the mud leader giving speeches all the time, which i'm not really a fan of. And I'm a much bigger fan of the more calm and reserved Megatron of recent years.

Cullen and Welker thanks for doing the first takes voicing some of the best characters of all scifi. But it's been 30 years. I think we can move on.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    They deserve to take it easy so I wouldn't be surprised if either of them chose to retire, they've both made their impact. Many of our most beloved characters have had many different voices over the years, its time to let others voice Prime and Megatron, and not just hire cheap nobodies to do them, Hasbro.

:rolleyes2  Wew.

New blood is great as long as it knows what it's doing, but the problems with the brand at the moment is much larger than its over-reliance on "Geewun". Thanks for stating the obvious for those who may not have realized what you meant by 'death is inevitable'.

The brand will continue once they pass, and I imagine much to your dismay the dreaded G1 will continue to serve as a solid foundation going forward, because G1 is part of its fundamental identity, which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

And that last line, the cringe.

If a really good TV series came out for Transformers that used the Marvel comics and such for a basis, yet it used elements from all across the IP as a whole (In the vain of the new Duck Tales series perhaps) would you reject it on its face just because of your hang ups with G1?