So, anyone else worried about over-reaching human screentime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transformervic1, Nov 21, 2016.

1. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Ever since they confirmed Josh Duhamel and the human military vehicles were revealed, as hyped as I was (and still am), I'm worried that this film will pull a ROTF and severely downplay the robot screen time in the film in favor of our human characters...especially if they really are bringing Tyrese Gibson and agent Simmons in as well.

I wasn't too concerned about this until I saw the featurette and the more I played it back the more I began thinking that this looks too similar to what ROTF and DOTM brought to the table...with human military, of any kind, being a definite focus of the film, which means less screen time for our robot heroes. I don't know. I'm worried they'll regress from AOE and not show as much if not more transformers screen time where it's JUST the transformers (AOE had a lot, with ratchet and lockdown, autobot reunite and camp fire, some of the knight ship scenes, and other scenes that might have involved more human and transformer interaction).

I know you will say it's too early to tell but we all have seen what happens in these movies when human military is involved (NEST, army, navy, even KSI) and with josh Duhamel, who will no doubt be a major player, back in this, as well as human Knights and actual military running around, I fear we will get less than what we got in AOE as far as robot interactions goes.

2. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    Well I'm sure the human screen time will over shadow the TF's, such is the nature of these movies. I think the ratio improves with each movie, but it's not as black and white as that. It's more about quality screentime for both casts. Nothing worse than a good TF fight cutting away to some idiot!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

At this point it's impossible to tell. However, if the rumored $260 million budget is the actual budget (which has not been officially confirmed by any stretch and may not be true) then I suspect even more than in AOE, perhaps even much more. Additionally, I wasn't expecting to see any CGI robots in the featurette, so you can't tell from that alone.

Based on the amount of time Barricade, Bee, and Hot Rod have been seen on set I expect at least them to get some decent screen time. Prime and Megatron will likely play major roles and get some good screen time given their main character status given the rumor.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    That's just nonsense.

Every TF movie to date has has more and more screentime devoted to the Transformers, especially their interpersonal relations with one another, and like the others TF:TLK will be roughly two-and-a-half hours long, leaving PLENTY of time for the human cast without getting in the way of the Transformers or their screentime.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't feel RotF did that, so I'm not worried.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I understand the concern about the return of military presence.
    However, I believe that they know better than to show less robot screen time than the previous movie. "More robot screen time" was a positive point I've seen in almost every fan review for AoE. It would be dumb of them to take two steps back.

• Like Like x 3
  7. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

ROTF's main problem was messy writing with too many characters. I mean, Sam spends most of his journey with Bee, Skids, Mudflap and Wheelie alongside him. The problem is, none of them really get much to do. The Twins only contribution to the entire story is just their bickering accidentally revealing the Tomb of the Primes. Wheelie, meanwhile, is used to point them towards Jetfire when beginning their quest, yet Simmons had already speculated on there being a TF where Jetfire was, making Wheelie's sole contribution feel unimportant, as he simply confirmed someone else' theory. Likewise, when it came to the battles, there were far too many character to spend much time focusing on any one of them, which reminds me of another problem. There were so many Autobots, they were divided between the comic relief (who traveled with Sam, getting development, yet contributing little in action scenes) and the bad arses (who did all the fighting, but nothing else, resulting in them being underdeveloped).

DOTM, meanwhile, put all of its eggs into one basket. It tried to put all of its robot screen time into the main three, Optimus, Sentinel and Megatron (OK, it's technically three baskets). All other characters were treated as relatively unimportant, so the film could focus on telling the story about how the leaders of both sides were being used by a third individual, eventually driving Optimus and Megatron together to beat him, inspiring a truce that finally brought an end to the war. Unfortunately, that ending got scrapped, with the truce being removed and Megatron's fall ending with him dying like a bitch, instead of rising again and Optimus was too bland (IMO) to carry a film without the help of at least two others. Plus, it also had the problem of there being way, way too many Decepticons.

As long as this film doesn't have too many characters, especially too many Transformers, and doesn't have its script get butchered by Bay, like DOTM's, then it should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They key to why a lot of people wanted primarily military focused along with a return of Lennox, Simmons and Epps is because it is much easier for them to craft a script of the military and tie in humans easily. No need for a complicated plot this time around - just have the military discover that Decepticons are doing something and then we can get straight into the action.

At the moment by the looks of things out of the six main human characters, five of them have been shown in previous movies and given at least a minor level of development. All of the returning cast already have a stake in the conflict - so it automatically makes it simpler to write a script around them that's better paced. In terms of the military, they were arguably the best part of the first movie including the most memorable scenes; Blackout's attack and Scorpinok's attack.

Sadly humans do need to be the focus, that's why people asked for a return to the military - given fans would rather see the military preparing for attacks and being developed as characters before a massive final battle than just focusing on a random civilian. It makes more use of the time they have in the film to make it more military focused, given that unlike the civilian main character, the military people can and probably will be killed off at some point - especially if this is really the final film that Bay is doing. Kind of brings things full circle given our introduction to Transformers in the first movie was primarily with Blackout - and now we're returning to the military to say goodbye to the characters who were introduced back in the first film.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I'm worried about movie length more than anything.

10. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Scrapping that unearned, out-of-nowhere, piece of shit truce ending was one of the best parts of the movie.

And Wheelie got the gang to the Udvat-Hazy Air & Space museum in the first place, Simmons never could have found Jetfire without him.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    What continues to bother me is how the films routinely just ignore the fact they can still have the Transformers interact with the humans while in their alt. modes - Skids was speaking while in ice cream truck form just fine in the opening battle to ROTF. Just because they're not appearing as anything other than real life vehicles doesn't mean they stopped being alien robots - the entire franchise is about how these vehicles and machines are more than meets the eye. Hell, Bumblebee can't even talk properly but he's doing all kinds of shenanigans appropriate to that idea in the early part of the first film when he destroys every other car on the lot to force Bobby to 'sell' him at a cheaper prce to get close to the Witwicky glasses, then 'breaking down' to let Sam and Mikayla have some one-on-one time (and then reveal his 'engine' is something from a Fast and Furrious film and completely at odds with the unkempt body shell of the old Camaro). And of course, the entire Satan's Camaro bit where Sam is running in a panic from the driverless 'Bee - but specifically at the end when he runs into Barricade, and the 'Con actually revs the engine and backs Sam into a wall before doing the extending alien headlights thing to intimidate Sam before going into robot mode. That's an excellent example of how to use vehicles to execute subtle character behavior without having to restrict it to robot mode alone.

But that's just the last three main characters from the first film still alive at this point, a guy from the first film who had an entire dedicated battle sequence against Bumblebee and technically is the only Decepticon to have his ass beaten by an Autobot and live (and also not be Megatron), and Bumblebee II.

What about all the other characters? The Autobots alone have too many - the three from AoE are back, followed by three unnamed supercars (the Lambo Centurion(?), the Aston Marton 'female', and the super-prototype thing), and Squeeks. Add another three for Prime, BB, and BB2, and that's TEN minimum Autobot characters all having to share screen time. And it's going to be horribly imbalanced as Squeeks is going to get a good portion of screentime anyway because he's paired with who I'm guessing is the main female lead.

The most number of Autobots active in a film as characters all at once* was in DOTM where Prime, Ironhide, Sentinel, Ratchet, BB, Que, Dino, Sideswipe, Topspin, Leadfoot, and Roadbuster reach eleven. Fifteen if you count both Wheelie and Brains (given they crashed the mothership) and the Twins originally being in the film but removed by M. Bay in post production. And DOTM struggled with that many characters at once, just for the good guys. Ironically, the smaller number of core Decepticons made DOTM a strong showing for at least the secondaries, the brief comments from the Dreads about how they 'can't go home' after the highway chase battle, the entire bit in the African Camp, and pretty much Laserbeak in general, are all things we need more of to really have the Deceptions be less of a two-dimensional effigy of evil to attack and more of an actual group of individuals.

*Technically ROTF more or less ties DOTM if you count every individual robot allied with the Autobots to the point the Arcee bikes get treated as three individuals instead of one character with three bodies as implied when Lennox addresses them early in ROTF in Shanghai. But following their bit chasing Sideways they never appear again until the final battle where one of the two that show up says they'll get the human protags to the pillars only for Clonecrusher to show up and kill them anyway)

Like completely rendering the creation of Galvatron pointless if he's just going to revert back to being Megatron?

Unfortunately, TF5 already appears to have too much going on. Like AoE before it somehow the films are getting to the point where the quantity of gimmicks only sparingly used is given much higher priority than only a few or even just one gimmick being fully developed. I mean, the first film had three mini-plots that converged briefly only for the hackers to split off from Lennox/Sam to do their own thing, but when starting, each of the three plots were simply different aspects of the same single actual plot - that being the secret presence of alien robots and the various ways that humans would react to something beyond anything previously thought possible. Lennox's team was the front line engagement, representing the ability (or lackthereof) that human forces to adequately fight off even one of the lesser Transformers without any idea of what the hell they were fighting, Sam's plotline was the main plotline following the why of the aliens being on Earth (to find the AllSpark/Megatron), and the hackers plotline to show where modern/by-the-book methods to deal with the situation were not going to work against a completely new kind of enemy and the only recourse was to employ alternative or outside measures.

Meanwhile, you then have AoE where the "mysterious because they didn't do shit in explaining anything about them beyond the most uninspired name possible" Creators fire a laser at dinosaurs to apparently make organic metal or some shit...and yet the robots who turn into dinosaurs have absolutely nothing to do with that because allegedly Lockdown captured them on a completely different planet and merely brought them to Earth because he'd locked them up on a ship. You would think that given how heavy the marketing hyped the Dinobots and what the plot element of the movie actually was in relation to dinosaurs, there should have been some reason linking those two plots as being part of one bigger plot. But if there was, the movie did a shit job explaining it - seriously, didn't even use the term 'dinobot' once.

Bingo. If you're gonna require humans to actively be in the middle of giant battles, then make them be the kinds of humans who would actually be of some use in a war zone and not a liability - provided they're willingly walking right into the conflict and not otherwise forced into it (I.E. Carly was being held hostage when the Chicago siege started). But that's probably what pisses me off the most about how AoE dragged in Cade and co. into some massive conspiracy nonsense they never had any stake in whatsoever - After Prime drops them off in the middle of nowhere to go find the other Autobots, when they do the whole Romeo and Juliet shtick, they really have no further motivation to stick around alien magnets of trouble, let alone show up in foreign battle zones. There isn't a thing Cade does that Lennox wouldn't have been a better fit for other than the whole scraping-together-a-college-fund thing since Lennox's daughter wouldn't be more than middle school age at best by that point.

Actually, all Wheelie had to do was confirm a Seeker was at the Udvar-Hazy, which is easy enough to locate outside of DC. The actual directions Wheelie gives would have landed them in New Jersey.
    [​IMG]

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    This is the 5th movie in... and only now are you starting to worry?

• Like Like x 1
  13. krishnanspace

krishnanspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even Michael Bay/Paramount would want to create a full Cgi TF movie,but practically its not possible and hence they have to keep it grounded with some human cast

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Continuity-errors with the mapping aside, the film makes it quite clear that Sam, Simmons, and co. had no idea where to find Seekers without Wheelie's help.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's always a worry when you mix a human and non-human cast. Some films mix it up nicely and other films swing too far one way or the other. It's not so much the non-human time but can you craft the movie in a way where it feels like the non-human is the focus, so Jaws has very little shark time but the movie feels all about the shark. Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace on the other hand could have used less non-human time to flesh out the human characters.

My gut feeling is that if anyone gets shafted on robot time it will be the Decepticons. Decepticons aren't so much characters as just something to kill so they don't get built up because they are often killed in the same film they are introduced.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too.

17. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I'm personally more optimistic about the 'Cons, you got a point there. LOL! (sigh)

18. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

YouTube (Legacy):
    Well not completely if it does turn out he used the identity of Galvatron to hide under the radar, especially from Lockdown. It would make sense why he announced himself as Galvatron, he didn't want to risk any information getting out to Lockdown of his survival otherwise it would mean him getting dragged back to the Creators along with Optimus and the Dinobots. With no more worry of Lockdown coming after him, Megatron discards the Galvatron name, preferring humanity fears his true identity.

• Like Like x 2
  19. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Nah, my only worry with this film is that it may not make enough money

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yes but what choice is there? Every movie has done the same so I don't expect tf5 any different.

• Like Like x 1