Snyder's Justice League

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Scourgatron, May 20, 2020.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ouch. It's Donner's Superman 2 all over again. The difference being Donner couldn't do reshoots even if the studio had been willing, it being decades later and all. Still, it's disappointing this won't be a full effort. I guess they think it will be enough to shut up the fans and the critics, but who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar The Wolf Queen (?)

Tumblr:
    Wow, I can't wait for more of a Superman that doesn't like helping people and considers it beneath him.

• Like Like x 1
  3. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
  4. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I can’t imagine this can be worse that the actual theatrical release right?

5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Did you even watch any of the movies? Cause that never happened.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on what you think of Snyder, really. Because it probably means more Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, for what that's worth.

I don't have high hopes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just want to know who gave us the Steppenwolf design in JL, Whedon or Snyder?

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    FWIW, I liked MoS.
    BvS... I tend to think it suffered from studio meddling. Hoping that was the case. Even tho I have the 3D blu ray, I’ve yet to watch the longer cut to see if it’s as improved as others say.

I don’t think I minded his zombie film... I loved 300... never watched the owl film... and am still trying to figure out wth Sucker Punch was about.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How can the Snyder Cut of Justice League Thread reach five pages.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Source of contention among the fans?

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Except it kind of did. Like in the flood sequence where instead of getting people to safety as quickly as possible, he just kind of hovers above them with a pissed off look, like he's put out that he has to help these ungrateful peons.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I didn't mind it, but my opinion of it overall is rather sour because it fails to stick its landing.

The movie is very heavy-handed in how it portrays Clark/Superman as a Messianic figure, but misses the point in that the greatness of both Jesus Christ and Superman is not that they are single-handedly capable of curing the world's ails, but that they're beacons of hope that inspire the people they touch to be better.

Man of Steel fails to hit home that last bit. It just beats you over the head with how people are assholes and Clark is the antithesis to that. The one big moment of a human being acting selfless in the movie is when Perry White goes to personally account for the Daily Planet staff and joins in the rescue efforts, which, while powerful, doesn't actually do anything for the narrative itself because Superman does nothing himself to inspire that act of altruism.

That then goes on to render most of the film's labourious runtime moot, because all of that pretentious "walking the world" stuff has very little meaning. None of it was for the sake of character building, since it the film just shows Clark being a boy scout regardless of how much the world seems to be telling him that we're not worth the trouble.

It really wouldn't have taken much to save the film, either. Like if, during the film's big climax, we were treated to a montage sequence, where it quickly flashes back to all of Clark's previous adventures, except that we see new endings for each that were previously omitted: the dive bar waitress has a scene where she feels empowered to stand up for herself; Clark is joined by other workers on the oil rig during the storm; etc. Show Superman actually going out of his way to protect people during Zod's assault on Metropolis, instead of leaning into the wanton destruction, which then leads to other people, including Perry White, returning the favour and helping out their fellow man.

As it is, the film is two hours of pretentiousness of pretense sake, capping off with a half hour of wanton violence and chaos. Nothing has any meaning. The two hour slog at the beginning doesn't somehow make the ending possible. Even if you ignore the pretense, and just treat the film as character building for Clark, it doesn't even reasonably do that.

BvS, meanwhile, is a flimsy mess of poor logic and terrible characterizations of all the parties involved. It's Snyder's cynicism on full display, and pays no respect to its source material.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk, I've always felt like Superman would get there sometime before the people are desperately begging him to come save them on their rooftops.

• Like Like x 2
  14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I see him as more reluctant to help out, after all someone like him does attract unnecessary and unwanted attention. His dad had issues with the concept too.

A lot of the DCEU features heroes who are reluctant about going out into the spotlight and revealing their capabilities, because they don't want the risk (Superman, Cyborg) or responsibility (Aquaman, Shazam). Only Batman, Wonder Woman and the Flash did it, and one had turned into a cynic enforcing lethal force, one was able to do it in a flash so no one could find him, and one was an innocent who hadn't yet seen how terrible the world was. I guess that's realism.

But I would welcome a Superman with more faith in people (even if that faith could disappoint him) and who actually is willing to use his abilities to help people.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar The Wolf Queen (?)

Tumblr:
    Since you engaged with this in a thoughtful way, I’ll turn off the snark. Snyder is a Objectivist, a follower of Ayn Rand who has expressed interest in adapting her novel, the Fountainhead. Without breaking rule 3, this means he does not believe in altruism as a good. Superman is an inherently altruistic character. See the problem here?

• Like Like x 4
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think it has already been well established that Snyder isn't too bright.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Isn’t that a difference without a distinction?

• Like Like x 1
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Don't forget Col. Law & Order SVU calmly sacrificing himself to stop the world engine.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I'm interested in a morbid way. Justice League was one of the few more enjoyable movies in DC (with Wonder Woman and Aquaman being great), and I can't believe Snyder could make a better movie than Whedon. Snyder couldn't make a good movie for his life. At least his movies have somewhat appealing visuals, so he does not end up down on the same level as Uwe Boll.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    So you're saying he subscribes to the edgi boi Bible. Shocker.