Snyder's Justice League

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Scourgatron, May 20, 2020.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Yea, it’s not a great movie either way, but at least the directors cut has a story that makes sense

2. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and a whole other subplot that didn't impact the rest of the movie in a whole but was still very interesting.

often times movies that have characters with secret identities don't really go into the day job these guys have. it was nice to see matt lawyering.

it was one of my main complaints with the raimi spider-man movies and peter having organic webbing. i felt it was a missed opportunity to show peter being the genius he's supposed to be by creating the webbing and shooters. it was easy to forget just how smart he was in those movies.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    And that sub plot actually does explain how the cops got alerted to Fisk being kingpin at the end of the movie, so while it’s not intricately tied, it does feed back into the main narrative

• Like Like x 1
  4. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and the sub plot has coolio

directors cut=superior

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I have recently watched Man of Steel, BVS, and Justice League again. Man I still love BVS Ultimate Cut...

I was looking closer at Cavill's scenes in JL. I think most of his parts were Whedon's scenes. Maybe even more than were initially thought. Snyder said they only used 1/4 of the overall footage he shot in Whedon's JL.

This will be a very different movie from the JL movie we got.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    This won’t be a run of the mill directors cut....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

300 was pretty faithful to Millers comic. Watchmen was pretty faithful to the comic as well, minus the giant squid monster? I'll be honest, having read Watchmen, I always felt a faithful movie was really quite impossible. I didn't have high hopes going in. Snyder pulled it off pretty flawlessly IMHO, where as 90% of directors would have crash and burned. I'll give him a pass on no squid ... I'm sure a bunch of normies would have peaced out after something like that.

Thing is, look at who wrote both of those works the movies are based on: Miller and Moore are some of the greatest comic writers ever, but their tone isn't for everybody. Their work can come off moody and sometimes hopeless? Warner Brothers may have made the mistake of using those works as the foundation of the DCEU, but I think Snyder succeeded in making the films he wanted to make given the parameters.

Actually, people wanting the "hopeful" Superman, in the same vein as the Donner version ... I think J.J. Abrams might be a good fit? I know he isn't well liked due to the Star Wars stuff, but I actually think he could pull it off.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  8. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    All Cavill's cgi lips are Whedon's so basically 80% of Cavill's scenes.
    I remember watching it in November 2017 and saw the opening scene with his funky lips and thought I was haluccinating. After I adjusted, I knew I was going to hate the movie and I do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  10. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Haha. Well, I just hope he actually explains it this time and it is not a jarring scene that takes you out of the film going "WTF!?" like the one in BvS. I admit he's got some ball laying an overarching piece that he planned on repeating like that over a couple of films though. Just think it could have used a bit more to it than what we saw in BvS prior to BvS. I'd say more in BvS itself, but the film was already bloated. This is why I say that despite how you feel about Snyder as a director he could have used more individual films before BvS to actually build the grand story he's implied he was trying to tell. This makes me wonder how much of Rush to Justice was on him and how much of it was on WB after they saw that sweet sweet Avengers money going to the Mouse.

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

'Knightmare' says it all.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Man of Steel didn't perform poorly, just under WB's expectations. Which happened once before in recent memory, with Batman Begins. But for some reason, in that instance, WB showed restraint and let the director continue with his plans for a second movie unmolested. Which then gave us the Dark Knight. Vindication for Nolan and huge critical & financial success for WB.

I'm not saying Snyder is capable of creating a Dark Knight, because clearly he isn't. But there is zero doubt in my mind that Man of Steel 2 would have been infinitely better than the "Batman vs" movie he was forced to make. He could have moved forward developing the actual Superman cast and their stories rather than the cheap pop episode of Smackdown a panicked WB pushed him into doing.

Good or bad, I would have loved to have seen a MoS trilogy with a completed storyline (which I think from MoS was being set up to end with a restored Krypton), similar to how Nolan was able to complete his Batman story, regardless of whether all fans are on board with how he chose to end it in TDKR. And THEN move on to versus movies, JL movies, whatever. The failure of the DCECUXTGBwhatever isn't due to Man of Steel, but catastrophic mismanagement by a fearful and wishy-washy WB. As soon as they first announced the next movie was going to be a BvS instead of MoS 2, I knew that was a wrap and that all future DC movies in this continuity were a write-off.

I mean Man of Steel is unbelievably clumsy in parts, laughably heavy handed sporadically, but it's a decent movie overall. The wife and I just rewatched it last week, and I have to say I still like it. Well, I like the first half of the movie very much (up until he puts on the suit, and minus the unintentionally hilarious Pa Kent death scene), and then I kind of tolerate the second half. I would say he's not "my" Superman, but is still a legitimate interpretation of the character, and most of the choices Snyder made that fans complained about have some precedent in the comics.

After rewatching MoS, we decided to give Sucker Punch a try, since it was on netflix and neither of us had ever seen it.

FREAKING AWFUL. We couldn't even make it to the halfway point before we had to turn it off. That was aggressively stupid. Snyder as a director is whatever. But Snyder as a writer is an assault on humanity. It's like his ability to contemplate ideas and express himself never evolved past the first year of high school.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

This was supposed to link to NEW GODS, I think.

Anyway, should be cool to check out on screen.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I have to read the Sucker Punch Wikipedia to understand its plot.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    So I am not a fan of MOS but I also don’t really hate the movie either, I kind of hate Snyder now though. But my point is at the end of the day it didn’t lead to a reinvigoration of the franchise or a franchise at all. It was a misfire and it brought on this muddled movieverse. Whether or not the suits derailed his vision it didn’t stick the landing and it is largely responsible for the DC movie franchise being a mess. Snyder didn’t provide a clear message about what this universe was and who Superman is. He just isn’t all that heroic and he certainly is joyless as fuck. And let’s not even get into the weird messianic bullshit Snyder had to wallpaper the movie with. Maybe I do hate this movie, unfortunately it’s so joyless I have to actually think about MOS to get mad at it again. It’s just an empty meal and utterly forgettable. I don’t really think you can blame it all on the suits.

And The Dark Knight got an epic leg up from Heath Ledger‘s amazing performance and his untimely death. Nolan is boring AF on Batman. What was the third movie even about? I can’t remember. Bane mumbles, incoherent plot. Maybe suits should have gotten involved. And I love Nolan... like 80% of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    we don't agree on a lot but i'm with you 100% on this. nolan batman has not aged well for me and dark knight rises was a pile of shit. i'm a fan of tom hardy but his bane was terrible. that voice he was doing is only good because it lends itself so well to make bane comedic in the harley quinn animated series but his sean connery on helium voice was a joke.

the only reason this trilogy is lauded as highly as it is is all because of heath ledger. if that movie never had joker and had to rely on christian bale's terrible fucking batman voice no one would give two shits about those movies.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Agreed. And I also think Tom is great no idea what happened with Rises. The fact that you have to ask whoever you’re with “What’d he say?” every time doesn’t help. And why in the fuck would you hire Tom Hardy and then cover his face? The guy’s facial expressions are a huge part of his acting. I would assume Nolan saw Bronson before he hired him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Why does he look like a mix of bulkhead and tri-clops from he-man? That face. Lol. Is he-man going to come in and punch him? "Hey lets give him bedrock from youngbloods face?" Or is it the rock bitter from neverending story? Lol.

20. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well he worked with hardy on inception so i assume he hired him based on that. half the cast from inception made it into DKR.

for me it's the voice. full stop. that's what ruined his bane for me. i'm used to movies deviating from characters so the respirator mask i can live with but that voice. i don't know how it made it past so many people and all of them said "yea no do it there's no way it will be laughed at ever"

• Like Like x 1