SNES or Genesis?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by CastletonSnob, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    SNES. It was the first console I ever played. :)  Many happy memories.

2. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

SNES all the way

3. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    SNES has Chrono Trigger, so it wins by default. :D 

4. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FTFY!

5. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

I have to echo these sentiments.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Genesis was my first console but Snes is better in many ways.
    I had both in the 90's and the games I go back to are more on the snes. Genesis has Sonic and Streets of Rage. 2 series I really enjoy. The Snes has Mario, Zelda, Metroid, donkey kong and more.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

like all game consoles, it doesn't matter how great the graphics are, what the sound capabilities are, or any of that jazz. All that really matters are the games. and not just the games, but the exclusive games that you can only play on that console.

so with that said, i say, both. because all game consoles are great, in their own regard.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The SNES was a better console by so many metrics, but at the same time, the Genesis rarely, if ever, gets it's due.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, I just like thinking about it cause it reminds me of the anxiety of being a fairly moneyless kid and oogling all the games that I couldn't afford. At first I just wanted a 16 bit system more than anything. I got the Genesis first and of course, I would get jealous of the things I saw on the SNES. I eventually saved and scrounged for a SNES, but even then it wasn't like I could buy a lot of games for either.

Anyways, it's that anxiety that lead to all those pointless arguments. During the 8 bit days, I mostly likes platformers since that was what the NES was good at. When I got the SNES, I became interested in RPGs, and by '94, the SNES took the lead in that category.

10. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I'm wondering how timeless some games really are.

Chrono Trigger for example is probably the best RPG I played and owned since day one but I can't for the life of me repurchase it again or let alone even play it again.

In comparison, to some movies, I can rewatch and enjoy in multiple ways.

Or maybe it's just JRPGs play mechanics in general especially the retro ones I totally abhor nowadays. played it to death or something. All the nostalgia can't make me sit down with the simple brainless game mechanic.

11. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

Had both and overall I'd say the SNES is superior in every way. Most importantly it had a better library of games in the end by far. Plus, it always had better graphics when a game was on both systems. I will say that Genesis had better sports games by far imo.

12. seali_me

Following up with that thought, how much of this popularity among younger peeps is true or maybe it's just hearsay? monkey see monkey do type of thing. Especially since most of the retro games nowadays belong in the nauseous gaming tropes.

What are real timeless classics? The ones that started it all? Ex: Metroid vs SOTN vs other nauseous Metroidvania games. SOTN is another game I can't stand replaying.

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:

Couldn't disagree more. The visuals, soundtrack and perfect play mechanics make Metroid, SOTN (my favorite game), and Chrono Trigger are all very replayable. It's not like I want to play them every waking second, but when I turn them on they still feel likey the hold up to modern games and can get totally pulled back in.

Regardless, this thread is about Genesis/MD vs SNES. So weather you think Chrono Trigger is replayable or not, what would you say the Genesis had that out does said titles in said categories? It is easy to replay Sonic or Streets of Rage, since as I mentioned before these are short games that you can go through in a single sitting. That just innately makes the easier to play through again. That just isn't the only factor though. What does the Genesis have that holds a candle to the FF series or Chrono Trigger? I don't think Phatasy Star had that same magic.

14. seali_me

I guess I was sidetracked by some of the younger folks comments.

What's more fun to play though since we're talking about games? Games like Mario, Sonic, Rockman, Zelda, Metroid or Final Fanstasy, Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario etc. As a game, replayalbility and ability to pick it up at any time go hand-in-hand. I can't do that with the latter titles. Story driven games requires a huge time investment. Maybe if was shorter. yes I agree.

Between the three examples I gave, I would always give Metroid a go. SOTN has that JRPG mindless exp grinding.

but to go back to thread, the SNES had plethora of timeless games in platformers, shooters, as well as puzzle games. As for sports games, it also beat the Genesis. Classics like NBA Jam and NHL 94' come to mind. Beat em' ups I'd go with the Genesis.

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Well, I certainly don't have time to replay a lot of JRPGs. I might attempt to replay one from time to time and make it my game of choice for a few weeks but I often won't finish them. I still enjoy playing them though.

I would say CV4 on the SNES is one of those games I get an itch to play about every year. Same with one of the old 2D Marios (I might select a different one each year) or Sonic. Fortunately, it's a good time to be a nostalgic player with all the ways to get a hold of real, official versions of many games.

• Like Like x 1
  16. seali_me

But I think mostly they are arcade ports. Especially in that caliber.

- Golden Axe
    - Outrun
    - Afterburner

I'm sure there are many others out there.

But yeah, SNES was had a better library and mostly exclusive to the system. The latter lacks for the Genesis.

There are sprinkles of timeless gems like, Phantasy Star, Sonic, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage,

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  17. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Sonic X-Treme. Originally developed for the Mega Drive through Sega of America, went through hell, Sega of Japan was against it for some reason, guy in charge was in poor health thanks to that game. They tried to move it to PC, game got killed a second time and by that time the best they could do was a port of the Flickies game and Jam from what they had started on what became Adventure.
    If I could only retain useful knowledge...

Anyway, Mega Drive for me, entirely thanks to my preference of Sonic and not owning the other one. Must admit that Nintendo had the better library though.

18. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I vividly remember the 16-bit wars, and everyone seemed to have a strong opinion either way. I was fortunate enough to own both consoles (got SNES for Christmas and bought a Genesis plus 2 games from a schoolmate for $50), and I came to the conclusion that anyone who exclusively played one over the other was missing out.

Sure, in terms of specs, SNES wins. But if you use just that fact to choose one console, you miss out on some great stuff: Sonic series, Streets of Rage series, Shinobi series, great arcade ports like Golden Axe & Strider, excellent sports games, and everything available through the use of Sega CD and 32X.

Bottom line is, why not play both and enjoy all the great games?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Well, i own both, and i can say the SNES is better. Of course, i would be lying if i said that the Genesis is not a close second.

20. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Genesis.

Uncensored Mortal Kombat
    and the much under-rated 32x add on.

Edit: Of course I had the Genesis/32x and not a SNES. In fact, it was my last console until the PS2 in 2001. Skipped quite a few between those two.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016