SNES Classic Edition

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by optics, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I just read about this yesterday. Easy pass for me since I still have my SNES and all of the games. One instance where being a hoarder and pack rat pays off.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is the most thought out and well worded multi paragraph post in this thread. And you should feel honored because there are a lot of multi paragraph posts to choose from here :D 

I think you pointed this out before as well, but as many enjoy just bashing their keyboards against their heads in a fit of I WANT rage, just going to reiterate this point again.

Being angry or upset or even posting up a good rage vid like me and seali's favorite internet blowhard, alphaomegasin Twitter is completely fine and good if that's how you feel. Let the hate flow.

But unlike people that just get angry or upset or make rage vids for some quick ad revenue AND LEAVE IT THERE, there are always a good few (this thread even proves that :lol ) that take it to the next level and say that THE COMPANY OWES THEM THIS PRODUCT, or apologies, or needs to make good, etc. That shit is ridiculous and part of why I have enjoyed this thread so thoroughly. Company is out to make money, and like FP pointed out, if the profit they see in Customer B is $5 with no future purchases, Customer A with the $50 profit per unit and many future purchases is the one they need to rectify with first.

Maybe they can patch it up with customer B down the road, maybe not, but it costs them very little to see this customer go and they can still make shitloads of money by appeasing a different customer.

3. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Chrono Trigger and/or the SNES FF games please.

Anything else is just added awesomeness.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Aaaaaaaanywayy....

I don't need a SNES Classic, and we don't even know for certain that there's really going to be one. But if I was in charge of putting one together, here's what it would have:

CastleVania IV
    Contra III
    ChronoTrigger
    Demon's Crest
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Donkey Kong Country 3
    Earthbound
    Final Fantasy II/IV
    Final Fight 3
    F-Zero
    Hagane
    Kirby's Avalanche
    Kirby's Dreamland 3
    Kirby Super Star
    The Legend of Zelda III
    Mega Man 7
    Mega Man X
    R-Type III
    Secret of Mana
    Super Bomber Man 2
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Super Punch-Out!
    Super Street Fighter II
    Tetris Attack
    Yoshi's Island
    Uniracers

I'll note that this isn't just a list of my 30 favorite SNES games, like I've seen on a few sites. Like the NES Classic, I've avoided any games that require movie/TV/etc. licenses. I've also tried to touch most of the games that are highly sought after or that are just plain expected to be there. I thought about counting the "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World" cartridge as one game so that I could squeeze Cybernator or Super Turrican in there, but I decided that would be cheating ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Sorry, but I do not subscribe to your theory. The only reason I said damn the Switch is because I personally am tired of playing catch up with my favorite game series while living on a budget. I just can't be arsed anymore to keep purchasing these brand new consoles. I still actually want a Wii U, but waited too long so I'm left going after a used system from Gamestop or the like due to my budget and other issues. I still plan on supporting Nintendo through my 2DS by getting the 2DS library I've wanted and will probably still get some VC products that I've long since wanted, especially if Nintendo offers up some choice GBA titles like Metroid Zero Mission for shoppers instead of keeping it only for early adopters.

But I'm done with buying multiple consoles, the only reason I'm even wanting a PS4 is because I need Kingdom Hearts 3 in my life.

And I'm certainly not only spending 5$ in your little hypothetical if I continue supporting Nintendo, that's just a really fucked up price decision you went with for your hypothetical you can't buy jack shit for 5$ these days. Would have made more sense to use 15$ at least, 15$ can at least buy you a decent meal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buddy from Japan surprised me with this in the mail. The controllers being small work out as I am trying to teach my kids how to play.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm pissed I couldn't get a NES Classic before they discontinued it, I might just say F'it

• Like Like x 1
  8. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Easy pass for me too, I have them all on my phone

9. flamepanther

It's a broad generalization for the sake of illustration. You're not the only person in this thread. Or this forum. Or the Internet. Several others have sworn off Nintendo over this and/or the Swtich shortages--serious or not. The point is that NES Classic does not represent the same revenue as the Switch, either in the future or immediately, and that as a whole the people who are more concerned with the Classic are therefore going to be a lower priority. They don't want to piss you off, but if they have to do that to smooth things over for the Switch, then that is what they will do. This is not difficult stuff if you just look at it from outside the customer role.
    So you think that 100% of what you pay for anything is profit? Really?

10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You know he is comparing a customer that is going to buy a switch and the profit nintendo sees from that versus a customer buying a NES classic and the profit Nintendo sees from that....

Please tell me you at least understood that....

FP I think the sound effect you are looking for is WHOOSH

11. Scrapper6

If you're going for that argument then you're still fucked up in the pricing. 300$ for the Switch, 80$ in my country for the NES Classic, the profit of which is certainly not 5 fucking dollars. 15 is probably much closer to actual profit after taking production and the like into it. If you want to make a hypothetical it often helps to include some hints of realism in these economically troubled times. And even that's being less than generous since most of the tech in an NES Classic is certainly not as complex to produce as that found in the Switch.

Of course I understood that, I just felt his analogy was a bit off. Also the post did seem to be pointing at me because of what I'd said earlier in the thread, it certainly didn't come off as a broad generalization. I merely felt a desire to clarify my view on the events surrounding the NES Classic and my reasons for why I've decided to finally stop going forward with future Nintendo consoles just because of game series like Mario, Zelda or so on and so forth.

12. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

If everyone could dial back on the condescending remarks, that would be swell.

JFC, this SNES Classic isn't even a thing yet...

• Like Like x 1
  13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'd say $5 is about right on the USD price. Your looking at around $25 for the board, $5 for the controller, mould tooling costs for the case, payments to third parties for their games, developer time for the OS and Emulator, assembly, packaging, marketing, distribution and retailer cut.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

You forgot licensing to capcom, konami, and Square in there.

Nope, no you didn't, my bad.

Although that's another thing to consider, the the licenses have a time limit, or a number limit?

• Like Like x 1
  15. flamepanther

The specific prices do not matter for the analogy, as long as the Classic is still a one-shot purchase (which it is) and the Switch has more room to make a profit at the price points Nintendo has chosen. All of the hardware teardowns so far indicate that this is the case. That's all that's necessary to the model. The "home business" scenario is arbitrary in every other way except that it fits the same model. Nintendo is not a home business and we are not talking about just two customers. But as long as it fits the model, the outcome does not change. Even if the NES Classic was making $50 in profit and the Switch was making $51, the Switch still wins. Trying to nitpick specific arbitrary details does nothing to affect the actual argument.
    It wasn't. I did have a few individuals in mind, whom I will not name, but none of them were you. If you feel it describes you anyway that's totally on you, but I apologize for giving the wrong impression.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Scrapper6

Being literal minded, sometimes I focus too much on the small picture and ignore the larger image. But whatever, I felt the analogy lacking and expressed myself, perhaps too passionately and defensively due to the perceived sleight at the comment.

I personally am finished discussing the matter, it is pointless to argue when we are both on opposite sides of the fences after this point. I feel we've both said our piece and reached the point where there is nothing new to add. At the end of the day a lack of NES Classic no longer bothers me as much as I may have appeared to be bothered. Nintendo is still on thin ice if they go forward with the SNES and pull another fucked up distribution of poor supply for monumental demand. I desire the convenience of a single system for all my gaming needs on a budget, and I love the thought of 30 SNES or NES games in a very conveniently priced packaged compared to having to spend 300+ for a Switch and multiple VC purchases in the end. Well 29, I'm not a huge fan of the original NES Final Fantasy, I feel they improved it much better with the GBA remake I own of that game.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Exactly. The Switch has the potential for far more profit after the initial sale. The Classic does not. So there's really no comparison as to profitability.

18. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Heh, that was my one word reply to my wife when she told me about it.

The SNES was and remains my absolute favorite gaming system. For some reason my brain is just wired to be fully turned on by 16 bit graphics.

I still have a working SNES and I don't NEED this....but I need it. I can hardly wait to never find one.

• Like Like x 2
  19. flamepanther

Don't forget they also made minor updates to several of the game ROMs.

20. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Heh, oddly enough, it was also my wife that broke the SNES news to me. Then she asked "so, do you want this one too?". I paused for a sec and basically said that yeah, I'd actually want a SNES Classic more than I wanted the NES Classic.

To me, the SNES was the greatest Nintendo console of all time, and I don't have my original system anymore, so yeah, I'ma need that.

• Like Like x 3