SNES Classic Edition

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by optics, Apr 19, 2017.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So let me ask something. What is different about your current situation than if Nintendo never made an NES or SNES mini at all?

If the only difference is that now the idea of it is in your head and you have the feels about it, then you didn't "get burned" at all. You weren't owed an opportunity when the thing never existed, and nothing has actually changed now that it's past. If I see something I want advertised on Craigslist, and someone else gets to it before I do, the seller doesn't owe it to me to go get another one just because he made me want it. It would be great if Nintendo could keep making these things, but if it's not in their best interests then whatever. It sucks as a situation, but they haven't actually done jack shit to anyone. Feeling like you are owed something when in fact you are not is exactly the kind of entitlement people are talking about here. Rationalize it if you want. Justify it and make excuses. But it is what it is, and there's no getting around it.

People are pulling the equivalent of that lady who SCREAMS at the manager for an hour because the menu changed, or whatever. The one who swears up and down that they must've done it on purpose just to slight her, specifically. That lady is just as sure as you are that she's in the right. That's what entitlement is. If you have feelings of entitlement, you will by definition think that you are justified in feeling that you are owed something. And as much as we all hate that customer, at least she's complaining in the right direction, even if she's dead wrong. We're not Nintendo. Nintendo ain't even here. Folks are just polluting the Internet with their toxic complaining, giving their "this is UNACCEPTABLE" speech to everyone around them. Go write a letter.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Consumers are entitled to consume, as per their very nature. Consumption creates demand. A company is also entitled not to supply. But they better be prepared for the reaction. History shows NoA is tragically under-prepared.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't care about the NES, but even I think Nintendo pulled a dumb move by cancelling the NES. People clearly want it, so why not make more? You're just upsetting your fans, putting them and the general product off buying more of your product, and stopping something that'll essentially print money for you. It's baffling, to say the least. I can't see any positives from this aside from maybe making more Switches.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Except it does exist. This is Pandora's Box and you can't pretend it doesn't.

This is true. However, if he has the capability to produce more, then he's not being a very wise business person.

That's the problem. They aren't telling us one way or the other. So all that's left are hurt feelings by fans. Not exactly the best situation to be in as a company but whatever.

Or you can let people vent in peace. In a few days, everyone will move on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I'm sorry, but that's just not going to fly mustard with me. This is a message board, folks are going to talk smack about the latest problem or frustration they have, there's an entire GD thread about it in General Discussion. If you feel like we're making the internet toxic by voicing our frustrations over Nintendo's boneheaded play then I'm going to have to pull the 'get a thicker skin' card.

We are freely entitled to complain and bemoan the state of affairs, it doesn't matter what your little scenario goes. And no, the idea wasn't simply put in our head because they went ahead and made this. What happened was pretty simple.

Nintendo advertised a convenient new product that would allow us to get 30 video games in emulation form in a cute fun looking package that would negate the need to buy multiple systems and pick up multiple VC purchases for when we wanted to play those titles again when we felt the overwhelming urge to do so. They made it easier to want to own and play all of the old games again. Then they under-produced the unit for a Holiday Item because the Switch wasn't ready in time for Christmas and they didn't want to miss out on the big sales. When it comes to Christmas they could have easily made five times the number of units they did and sold out pretty quickly, especially considering the price range of this convenient new little novelty item specifically made for the holidays. Or if not five times than at least three times, considering the huge influx of demand.

Nintendo screwed the pooch, and instead of making good on the increased demand they basically took back their toys and left the sandbox with several thousand consumers still desiring to play ball.

So basically, a nice convenient new product designed to make money during the holidays failed to meet demand and the hype built up to it made us bitter and resentful to the point where, again, we come here to vent our frustrations in duly designated threads designed to allow us to do so. Then we have to keep bringing it up in the discussion because folks are asking questions like your hypothetical when it's pretty clear that opinions will vary between users, some folks with a true passion for retro gaming are still frustrated and a bit sore over the subject and will continue to jam it down your throat when they feel that you personally are just not getting it enough or making assumptions, or completely missing the point of this product in the first place.

Nintendo is at fault for making a mistake. The consumer is not at fault for being upset about this, they can be at fault for constantly badgering you personally over the mistake, but they certainly aren't trying to be 9 times out of 10. They're mostly trying to express a point and clarify issues due to differences of opinions. This may seem like it's toxic or the equivalent of the loud mouthed customer who acts like a spoiled brat because the coupon expired yesterday and they don't get their % off deal, but I'd lay odds it's a lot calmer in here the it's gotten in other areas of the internet.

Also I don't feel justified in feeling I'm owed something, what I feel is pretty cut and dry. Nintendo doesn't want my money because they refuse to meet demand. Fuck it, now they have plans for this holiday season to make a new Mini system. All I have to say to that is if they make the same mistake and cause the same issues they can go walk themselves off a short pier while chained to a chunk of cement, because I'm not giving them any more money if I can't get what I expect to be able to find at retail during the busiest shopping time of the year. Which isn't entitlement, because I certainly don't feel like they owe me a SNES mini either, I just want to be able to find the damn thing without issue because I'm willing to spend my money on their product. And if they don't have the product. They have lost a customer... Yeah and reading that out loud it certainly comes off as petty, but fuck it, I'm allowed to be a little petty where my passions are concerned because it's basic human rights to at least feel that way sometimes. It's when you act bitter and spiteful and mean all the time that you start coming off as a whiny man-child, and I think we can all agree on that. ;) 

EDIT: I'm also still somewhat confused as to just why Nintendo chose this route, because it certainly doesn't line up with what I learned of basic economics in College. In fact I bet my economics instructor would probably have a field day discussing this blunder in class. It's a perfect example of a business failing to anticipate the demand of something to the point that their supply chain scrambled to catch up and still couldn't save their skins.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. flamepanther

No, they're not. "Entitled to" means it is owed to them. Nothing is owed to them until they've forked over their cash. You can't appeal to the nature of free market economics and then claim otherwise. Consumers are free to consume, granted that goods and services are available for sale, and that they are willing to pay for it. Absent those conditions, there is no relationship between buyer and seller.

Nevermind that you would not like the actual free market capitalist solution to the problem. "Supply and demand" actually refers to how value is established in a free market. The value of a good is the price at which supply and demand reach equilibrium. If demand is greater than supply, then the good is being sold at a price lower than its actual value. There are two ways to fix that. On the one hand, you can devalue the product by making more of it. If that isn't feasible for whatever reason, you raise the price until it matches the value of the good. From a business standpoint, Nintendo can't make more NES Classic consoles right now, since that cuts into the money they could make by manufacturing Switches instead. If they raise the price to what scalpers are flipping these for, then suddenly it would still be worth diverting resources from the Switch, and the demand at that price would drop to the point that Nintendo is able to meet it. That's what "supply and demand" means.

And? You didn't answer my question.

Maybe. We don't have enough information to say. What would it cost him to produce more versus what he'd get from selling it to me? What else could he be doing that might be a better use of his time? That's all up to him to figure out, and I'd have to be a complete ass to go and badger him about it.

I agree. And "whatever" should really just about sum it up.

I want to talk to your manager.

Seriously though, you have been around that customer before, haven't you? Were you in peace? By incessantly venting, people are already not leaving everyone else in peace.

Making more Switches is exactly it. Nintendo now has two products that they can't meet demand for. One of them is by all accounts not very profitable and has no future (i.e. you can't buy more games for it). The other is more profitable and creates an opportunity to sell more games. Both will make a lot of people very angry and frustrated when they can't get one. Between those two options, which would you choose?

And I'll have to pull the "take your own advice first" card.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    But that's not correct, either, if they're planning on a Super NES mini. You can't say you can't produce two systems and then produce two systems. So that's obviously not the reason.

As for "free market" system taking over, well, yes, that's where we're at now. Nintendo turned off the tap, for whatever reason. Many will never own one because they don't value the system beyond retail. Nintendo will never have many's money for this system as a result. Leaves many unhappy, a retailer without sales and Nintendo with ill will pointed at them. By your account, this is best for Nintendo. Okayyyyy....

8. Scrapper6

Is that because of my contribution to the MP Toxic thread?

Either way, whatever dude.

Incidentally a consumer is entitled to something, when they go out to make a purchase with a set goal in mind and they can't find it that's going to do something to them. Either they:

1. Make a fuss and demand to speak to the manager.
    2. Frustratedly berate the employee and complain a bit before going off to find something else to buy.
    3. Shrug their shoulders and move on to the next item on the list.
    4. Weigh the chances of finding it elsewhere and go to a different store, thus losing revenue for the retailer they went to first and maybe having them think twice about going there again for similar products in future.

Once that happens enough times they are going to get out of the buying mood for products of that company. It doesn't matter if the company makes diapers or video games, once they've become burned on a product they're looking forward to enough times that's when they lose interest and the company finally loses them as a customer.

If I go out to buy Strawberries and there's a shortage of Strawberries eventually I'm just going to stop buying the fruit, or go out and pick them wild for myself. A rather crude example, but it's certainly apt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. flamepanther

I'll post it until you read it.

No. In fact I don't really keep track of who said what in another thread. But if you're upset enough about not getting a one-off plug'n'play game console, or about people calling out entitlement where they see it, then the shoe fits.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Switch be damned. I know there will be more of those. We're talking minis. And if the Super Mini is confirmed, I'll personally go hunt the crow for you to eat.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude if you are really that blind to not see how the two are related in this situation, then you better go find a big damn crow.

His point doesn't matter if the SNES classic does get confirmed or not. He's merely speculating on why this is their current plan. My god.

You people are so blinded by your I WANT syndrome there is no logic left within you. Have you actually read any of the paragraphs you've been posting? No wonder Nintendo doesn't want to cater to any of these "fans" :lol 

I wouldn't waste my time either if I wasn't getting such a good laugh out of all this.

12. flamepanther

Lemme try to break it down for you.

Right now there is a shortage of the Switch. They can better tackle that shortage if they aren't splitting their manufacturing efforts--y'know, by making NES Classics.

There will not be a shortage of the Switch later. The supply will eventually catch up. They just need to ramp things up to meet the demand right now.

Later (a future time that is not now), once there's no Switch shortage anymore, then Nintendo can afford to divert labor and resources to making other stuff again. Stuff like an SNES Classic, perhaps.

If Nintendo is planning to make an SNES Classic at all, then they're planning to do it later when they think there won't be a Switch shortage, not now when there definitely is a shortage.

So if there are Switches on store shelves this Fall and Nintendo does launch an SNES Mini around that time, you can have that crow all to yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scrapper6

Ok, here's some logic for you then.

Hypothetical 1: Nintendo can't meet Switch Demand so they discontinue NES Classic to make more.
    Hypothetical 2: Switch Demand can now be met, Switch shelf life is pretty much guaranteed.
    Hypothetical 3: Nintendo Confirms launch of SNES Mini.
    Hypothetical 4: SNES Mini demand exceeds supply yet again.
    Hypothetical 5: Nintendo discontinues SNES Mini because they still want to focus on the Switch.
    Hypothetical 6: Switch profits plummets as people leave Nintendo in favor of moving away from gaming and just enjoying what they already own.
    Hypothetical 7: Nintendo goes bankrupt and is bought out by Microsoft. (Or Sony.)

Where the fuck was I going with this? Damnit I lost my train of thought... *SIGH* whatever, have some more laughs dude, it's all you seem to care about.

Wishful Thinkings comment is still a valid argument though, if you discontinue one product to make more of the other to meet demand and then turn around and announce another holiday item that is going into production shortly you're kind of being hypocritical and clearly the demand of the Switch is not the real reason for why you discontinued the product and switched your manufacturing over to it.. Hell the Switch will probably be readily available this time next year because it's just languishing on the shelf with nobody buying the damn thing anymore because the Demand died off, just like every other console from the past five years. It's a main line console, savvy people know that it'll be readily available when they want it to because game companies have this habit of making their main line consoles available for lengthy periods of time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whatever, I'll go play emulated SNES and NES (and every other console) games on my PC for free. Like, why should I go through the effort if Nintendo doesn't even produce enough? Not to mention that it's pretty dumb that the NES Classic wasn't able to add games further down the road, considering how huge the NES/Famicom library is.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Switch has ALREADY sold over 900k in the US alone and demand is still outrageous. And yeah I'm completely lost on that hypothetical block, I have no idea what point you were trying to make there, and I actually did attempt to read it.

Just my own guess, by the time holiday 2017 rolls around, the switch train will be in such full force and will be the hottest electronics item for christmas 2017. Launching another side product like the SNES mini or classic won't matter or eat into any of it's sales. And the fun thing is if Nintendo did kill the SNES mini in early 2018, people would still want it, just like the NES classic, and they could reissue/rerelease them at a higher price point whenever they saw fit.

People still aren't understanding that NINTENDO ISN'T LOSING ANY MONEY here.

If we want to talk hypothetical, it's the "money lost" people keep bringing up on a production run that isn't being made in the foreseeable future.

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I don't know which I enjoy more timeline theorist or couch economists/business tycoons we have here and YouTube.

Too bad that blowhard's out of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scrapper6

That's a lot of units... I wonder how many of those were for Scalpers and Stock Hoarders waiting for the big boom to make back tons of cash???

This is because of the fucking Breath of the Wild launch title though, I'd guarantee if they didn't have that Zelda title on their launch window the Switch wouldn't have made nearly that much in sales and demand upon launch. Zelda and Nintendo, fucking money makers big time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, revolt and never buy a SNES mini! Cause I certainly will still be trying too.

Perhaps this is like the Disney Vault situation where they will sell each console for a short time so they can re-introduce it every few years (possibly with a different library).

I could see the other big console makers trying this in a few years but early 3D graphics can be hard to watch. You would need to be very picky on what they add to them.
    Eg N64mini with Goldeneye.

19. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

How about a petition? Those are always a hoot.

20. Scrapper6

They also never work, besides I sincerely doubt it would help any. Although chances are if you really wanted one you could probably google it up and find a moms want NES Classic released dealie or something.

EDIT: Here ya go Seali... a petition.

Nintendo: Keep Producing Nintendo NES Mini Classic

• Like Like x 1