SNES Classic Edition

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by optics, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Atari as well.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Actually I read up on the sega one - it sucks and has no HDMI.

3. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This may just be my own prejudice masquerading as fact, but it seems like most Genesis games have not aged nearly as well.

4. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

Because unlike Nintendo, Sega has always been kind enough to make their plug n plays readily available, so you don't have to club scalpers over the head, or fix rocket boosters to shopping carts to Hopefully get one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Well, I have a Mega Drive, Mega CD and even a Multi-Mega. If I wouldn't have these, I'd be interested.

6. Toy Rogers

Toy Rogers ¿op uoʇʇnq sıɥʇ sǝop ʇɐɥʍ

Sega did put out a Genesis classic of sorts a couple of years ago. I don't know why it didn't garner as much attention as these things. From what I do remember was that they apparently didn't emulate sound well or something. Like it didn't quite sound 100% Genesis. That's from an autist point of view though, I guess.

It must have been a marketing thing, because on paper, the Genesis sounds better in every aspect. Not only did it have 80 games, two wireless controllers, and the very neat feature of having a cartridge slot to play any other Genesis console game. If anything, it's probably a lot like the situation with the Dreamcast where it was just simply too ahead of its time.

Sega does what Nintendon't.

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    That's not by Sega. There's a new release that looks like a mini Mega Drive.

[Update #1] Could AtGames’ new Mini Mega Drive actually rival the NES Classic? - SEGA Nerds

8. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Technically that's not from sega either. Atgames has been doing sega's plug n play systems for years, pretty much all the ones released so far have been by atgames. I think sega just doesn't give a shit about the plug n play market so they license everything to atgames and just let them have at it.

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I know, the article says that. Well, the first part, not the giving shit part :D 

10. Toy Rogers

Part of it could also be that Nintendo seems to be marketing theirs as more of a console-y kinda thing like you would actually find in an electronics department. The Sega one is more akin to those random object ones with the composite cables sticking out of them hooking directly into the back of a tv capable of playing Tiger handheld-tier games. The ones that you usually find in the toy department.

I kinda like the looks of that updated Sega system though. It sounds like it actually could be a contender.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Venixion

News Credits:

No. They're not tiger tier handhelds. I used to own one that had like 5 or 6 full blown classic games on them. That's what plug n plays are. They're nostalgic devices you can just plug in and play on the TV. Hell I bought an arcade one for my aunty and she and my aunts and uncle had a blast playing Pac-Man and trying to beat each other's high scores on galaga.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The main difference here isn't just about mini consoles, the reason that there's hype for Nintendo stuff and none for Sega stuff is because Nintendo have generally maintained the integrity of their brand and the quality of their products regardless of their ups and downs. Sega on the other hand have an uncanny talent for squandering their legacy at almost every opportunity and were doing it even before the Mega Drive left shelves the first time round.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Venixion

News Credits:

Nintendo also has a penchant for being stingy with their products, pissing off their customers and thinking it's a brilliant strategy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Toy Rogers

And people keep falling for it. Every. Time. :rolleyes2 

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Yet here everybody is, talking about products with high enough perceived value that people are desperate for preorders and/or mega salty that they couldn't get the last one. There they are selling Switches quicker then they can get the parts to make them, despite their last console going down like the Hindenburg and many of these same customers declaring Nintendo dead 9 months ago because they won't do the same thing as everybody else. Look at Mario blowing up E3 with a catchy theme tune and a magic hat whilst everybody shrugged their shoulders at MS trying to impress everybody with the most powerful console ever.

Wether people are loving Nintendo or loving to hate Nintendo, they are still talking about Nintendo and most of latter are still getting in line to throw money at them. That doesn't happen by accident and there's a good reason why they generate this sort of hype when other platform holders (past and present) don't.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Toy Rogers

I still say it's easier just to learn how to build a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie than to deal with Nintendo economics.

17. Venixion

News Credits:
    Actually all they're doing is pissing people off. Their excuses are tiresome and it's going to come back and bite them in the ass hard. Not with this product, but they'll keep on going and they won't like the response they get when people have had enough of their shitty practices.

After all, unlike back in the 80s/90s they have more then one strong competitor and their customers can and will flip nintendo the bird right back and migrate over to companies that don't pull their scarcity bs with every other product.

Bad reputation Does build up and it will eventually have unfortunate impacts.

18. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Bah, shame I didn't know about the UK version sooner, would have made a great gift to my Dad. I'll see if I can get one but not going to knock myself out. I'm not called Simon but I am a Pi man! Retropie and SNES USB controller already hooked up. I'd just prefer to do legit if I can.

19. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Won't these games all be available online eventually anyway?

20. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

It already is. More and more people are getting fed up with the Amiibos due to Nintendo's constant mishandling of the line and giving up on them. And now there's 3rd party alternatives starting to pop up that can be used to unlock stuff, in BotW atleast, in lieu of the actual Amiibo figs.

It really speaks volumes when people would rather go with a possibly illegal 3rd party solution instead of the actual Nintendo product.

• Like Like x 1