SND SND-08 The One (CHUG Scale IDW Optimus Prime)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hougangkid, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His grey parts should be silver, and he needs a new comic-accurate head sculpt. I'd be tempted to pick him up if they made those improvements.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

I might and now he’s in hand that’s a huge might Crome the face plate grill and stacks… I presently pleased…
    As regards to an upscale
    Not color. Details.
    If you upsize him to masterpiece size you would need some either paint or sculpted details. At his current size I don’t want any paint. He’s perfect… I have wanted this for a long time. I’m impressed with the head. As is with all Optimus Primes… the silver paint scratches off the tip of the face plate. I wish Hasbro would do every figure with molded plastics of different colors for the face and bring back light piping. As for The one I’m happy with him as is and would not be interested in an upscale masterpiece.
    Hasbro wont do this of course do to price points and regulations with Toys(international markets).

Excuse the awkward pose… for those wondering you can spread the chest out for a more blocky G1 Optimus look. It slide out for transformation and looks completely natural both ways. 578EF513-356A-4193-BAA1-8A7424E1A486.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2023
  3. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

• Like Like x 2
  4. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

It looks ok, but the light grey unpainted plastic looks out of place and cheap... especially things like th smokestacks should be painted or Chromed. I guess it's just not for me

• Like Like x 1
  5. 2fabdad

Now owning him… I prefer not painting him for now. I can’t put him down. It would just rub off. maybe after a few months I’ll get bored with him… maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    It’s nice to hear it’s a fun figure to mess with. I don’t find the finish particularly appealing, but a fun figure can make up for lack of presentation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    It’s been said before but I hope he does well and they continue on with IDW CHUG scaled stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Hot Shot Supremacy

Hot Shot Supremacy Member

Toyworld's Orion/not-Optimus from about 2010 works as a CHUG scale Don Figueroa styled IDW Optimus and it's as tall as TR Megatron, I want it too. But it's $100 or more. I spend enough on TFs as it is, so I'm working on a conversion kit to make Siege Optimus Prime into that IDW Optimus, because Siege Optimus is my least favorite Optimus look (after Michael Bay's Optimus in the first three movies) and I think there's potential to convert it or if Hasbro would retool it into IDW Optimus. I'm only gonna give new shoulder pads to replace the stacks, a spoiler piece for the top of the truck (that will occupy the 2 5mm ports of his back in robot mode), and a chest piece to make his silver sternum. I have also removed the Gatling gun fenders, the grille/faux matrix and the "Cybertronian" fog lights, to expose the robot mode headlights and grille with the crotch as the bumper because the original series made it that way. The only downside is the hands are just hanging out. Maybe I'll think of a way to cover up the hands, but past that, I would just need to make it and test it.

I've attached the pictures of what I've already done. I'll admit, truck mode looks gaudy, but I'm working on it. Trust me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a good idea. I think Siege Prime has some "presence" missing from ER Prime, I also prefer the headsculpt - however, both modes in Siege look oddly unfinished/rushed.

I have the Toyworld Orion and will stick with that as I like the CHUG scaling (he's Ultra-class; I believe the Zeta re-release is taller again), but it's always good to have more IDW options out there :) 

10. Hot Shot Supremacy

I know... That's why I'm making CHUG scale IDW Optimus out of Siege Optimus, to fix the look problem that it has (looks like it WANTS to be IDW Optimus, but doesn't try) and the need for an IDW Optimus in my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    Listen, I love the concept and the look. But hot damn does he look fiddly and full of small parts.

Is it as bad as it looks? Or does it pull it off?

12. Hot Shot Supremacy

Wish I could give a first hand account, but the best I can do is say it looks great, and I want it, but can't afford it. How well it holds up, your mileage may vary.

13. A Charizard Fan

A Charizard Fan Well-Known Member

The transformation is pretty rough on the hands, but after getting it all together in robot mode he's perfectly fine as a figure. I'd recommend him if you're only interested in the robot mode; if you plan on transforming him often, look elsewhere.

14. 2fabdad

He totally pulls it off. It’s complicated… seriously.
    Mine had extra flange that needed trimming for transformation. There are sooooo many tiny plastic pieces, Overlaying plastic, and lots and lots of moving parts.
    The 2007 movie when Optimus transforms… that. Again it’s complicated… I love it. He is expensive and not for everyone. If I drop him on the hard wood floor I’m know he will shatter into pieces. He’s is fiddly very fiddly.

he’s an adult collectors dream come true and a wonderful challenge for a young up and coming collector… not a toy.

15. Hot Shot Supremacy

Enter the modified Siege Optimus, I hope to retain simplicity while getting the look we need.

16. 2fabdad

That mold was underwhelming…
    So much lost potential
    I wish you well.

17. Hot Shot Supremacy

Yes, quite underwhelming, I plan on using the strengths of the mold while deleting the weaknesses to achieve IDW Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  18. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I got this today and it's better in person. Very articulated and fun to pose. The figure would be perfect with silver

• Like Like x 1
  19. TFW2023

TFW2023 Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Is this figure in stock yet ?

20. 2fabdad

• Like Like x 1